Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 03:18 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Indiana Jones 5 - Rumors, Casting, etc...

A week after announcing that it’s purchased the marketing and distribution rights to future “Indiana Jones” movies from Paramount, Disney says it will be at least two to three years before the archaeologist goes on his next whip-cracking adventure.

“We haven’t done anything,” said Alan Horn, chairman of the Walt Disney Studios while speaking at Variety‘s Dealmakers Breakfast at the Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills on Friday. “We don’t have a story. We need a story.”

Horn said it didn’t make sense for Disney to move forward on making more Indiana Jones movies until it fully owned the rights to upcoming films.

“It didn’t make sense to produce the movie at Disney and then have it be distributed and marketed by Paramount,” Horn said.

New Indy films will be produced by Lucasfilm, which is busy developing a seventh “Star Wars,” to shoot next year, as well as spin-offs based on “Star Wars” characters.

In fact, Lucasfilm will release a new “Star Wars” sequel or spin off every year, Horn said, starting with 2015′s “Star Wars: Episode VII.”

George Lucas, who Disney bought Lucasfilm from for $4 billion, remains on board as a consultant to the sci-fi franchise he created. “We are proceeding as the folks who own the company, but he’s George Lucas and I’m sure we’ll be in conversations with him” as new movies in the series are developed and produced, Horn said.

Horn, who was named chairman of Walt Disney Studios in May 2012, after having run Warner Bros., initially said “how hard could it be? I’m going from bunny to mouse.” But Horn found Disney chairman Bob Iger who he called “an impressive fella,” “too compelling to resist,” as well as the opportunities to work with such brands as Pixar and Marvel, who are helping deliver six to eight tentpoles to Disney’s release schedule each year.

Since taking the job, Horn has often talked about the different cultures between the various brands at Disney, and the company itself, saying when walking the halls of Warner Bros., you saw images of Gloria Swanson, Clint Eastwood and Denzel Washington. “At Disney, it’s Dumbo and Cinderella and Walt, himself,” Horn said.

Horn largely lets executives at Marvel, Pixar and now Lucasfilm produce the films they want.

These guys have earned the rights to follow their creative vision,” said Horn, who is often asked what his plans for Marvel are. “I plan to bring them coffee,” he joked.

Still, Horn said movies must meet two requirements when greenlighting projects: “Do I have to see it now and do I have to see it on the big screen? If the answer to both of those questions is no, then we have a big problem. My paycheck has a mouse on it and I take it very seriously.”

Horn called the decline of homevideo “painful,” and that Disney, along with most studios, need to “embrace technology” and foreign territories to make up for lost revenue. ”The future is about territories and technology,” Horn said. “We need to embrace technology and make technology our friend.”

But that’s also meant balancing the type of films that get made.

“The international market wants (to see films that have) size, scope and scale,” Horn said. That often means making big-budget movies. “It drives us to support the tentpole philosophy.”

Horn said that while it’s challenging to do business in many international territories, China can’t be ignored because “one of every five people on the planet is Chinese. We have to be there. These international territories translate into revenue streams for us that makes being in the movie business worth it.”

With budgets escalating to $200 million or more, “you have to put a period behind every word: It’s. 200. Million. Dollars,” Horn joked. “Relating to this stuff is hard, so I often say it’s 600,000 dinners at your favorite restaurant for four with your favorite bottle of wine.”

While Hollywood and Disney have toyed with the idea of narrowing the current distribution windows, Horn said Disney is “committed to the windowing we now have,” but said it’s up to the exhibition biz to improve the experience of watching movies in theaters. “It’s incumbent on exhibition to make the experience as exciting as the movies.”
Old 12-13-13, 09:32 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rG9SAq2kLFY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hire this guy.
Old 12-14-13, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Daniel Craig - no.
Nathan Fillion - maybe.

Viggo Mortensen - yes.

The reality of it is a recasting will go much younger.
Old 12-15-13, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If the Chinese government gets most of the take, you'd think they'd be reticent to work with them no matter how large the audience is. I wonder what exactly Lucas is "consulting" about? I can't imagine embracing technology is a difficult thing for Disney, I would think they'd always be on the cutting edge.
Old 12-15-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by groucho
unconscious on a bus in florida.
Old 12-15-13, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I wonder what exactly Lucas is "consulting" about?
Disney: Hey George, we're thinking about going this direction with the franchises.
Lucas: Well, I think that...

Disney: It doesn't matter what you think.
Old 12-15-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Old 12-15-13, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

If the Chinese government gets most of the take, you'd think they'd be reticent to work with them no matter how large the audience is. I wonder what exactly Lucas is "consulting" about? I can't imagine embracing technology is a difficult thing for Disney, I would think they'd always be on the cutting edge.
So this means we will see the return of Short Round in the new film? Or that Jet Li is being cast as the new Indiana Jones?

"Consulting" might have been a typo ... I think the author meant "sulking."
Old 12-16-13, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, the Nazis have taken over America. Old Indy is chasing some Nazi down and discovers they've created a time machine. Jumps in during a crazy fist fight and gets zapped back to the 30's. He realizes that all his adventures have led to this inevitable conclusion of a Nazi controlled world and vows to change it. First thing he does is create a convincing distraction to keep his younger self from going to Shanghai and avoiding the whole India debacle. Thus a new series of adventures are born!

short version: Star Trek reboot that bitch! Summer 2016!

I'm kidding.
Old 12-16-13, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Actually Nathan Fillion would be a pretty good pick to play a rebooted Indy as someone here kind of suggested. He's a handsome guy, star of a hit TV series Castle, charming and relatively young.

He stars on a show produced by and airing on ABC, which is owned by Disney....huh...makes some logistical sense? By the time this movie gets made (if it does get made), Castle will probably be nearing the end of it's run and Fillion might be ready to pursue a fulltime film career.
Old 12-16-13, 06:08 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Nathan Fillion is not "relatively" young. He is now old and fat.
Old 12-16-13, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Ford was 39 in Raiders. Fillion is 42. Decrepit old man.
Old 12-16-13, 08:46 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Ford was 39 in Raiders. Fillion is 42. Decrepit old man.
And would be 45ish at the earliest for his first movie as Indy.

the Fillion fanboys just need to stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. STOP.

Look, if Disney's intent is to milk the Indy franchise dry (not saying it's right), then they are not going to cast a mid-40 year old to take over the fedora. They will go young, probably not 20's, but likely early 30's.

Personally I wish they would attempt ONE more with Ford in a leading role, as KotCS was such a weak way to retire the character, then be done with it.

I do NOT want Indy prequels. There is no sense of danger to the main characters if you know they live to some later time. If you want to try and reboot things, then do that if you must. I do like the "Son of Indiana Jones" concept tho, again, with Jensen Ackles.
Old 12-16-13, 09:00 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Sorry. I love Fillion... but he's not Indy. And the {insert Fillion here} for every franchise needs to stop.
Old 12-16-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Sorry. I love Fillion... but he's not Indy. And the {insert Fillion here} for every franchise needs to stop.

"Jimi Hendrix biopic? It's Nathan Fillion. Period..."
Old 12-16-13, 02:17 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

You all know the Rock will be cast as Indy.
Old 12-16-13, 04:08 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't think those brackets are in the right place.
Old 12-16-13, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I love Fillion but not for this. I was merely pointing out the fallacy saying he's too old. And fat? That's what Hollywood trainers are for.
Old 12-17-13, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whedon cast-offs are incapable of putting on muscle mass.
Old 12-17-13, 03:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

"Jimi Hendrix biopic? It's Nathan Fillion. Period..."
No, no, I've got him pegged for the Jackie Jormp-Jomp movie!
Old 12-17-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
No, no, I've got him pegged for the Jackie Jormp-Jomp movie!
Nah ganna hoppen. He's booked well until 2014, we want him for the Tar Baby.
Old 12-17-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What role would Fillion play in a Hendrix biopic?
Old 12-17-13, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Is it true that Nathan Fillion replaced Donnie Yen as the lead in the upcoming Ip Man 3D?

What role would Fillion play in a Hendrix biopic?
Hendrix, of course.
Old 12-17-13, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

We can still suggest Michael Fassbender for the lead in every movie, right?

Hey, how about Michael Fassbender for Indy!
Old 12-17-13, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Disney: Hey George, we're thinking about going this direction with the franchises.
Lucas: Well, I think that...

Disney: It doesn't matter what you think.
Let's hope so. It sounds like Ford is obviously a lot more interested in this role than he is in ever reprising Han Solo again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.