Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last movie that disappointed you?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last movie that disappointed you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-13, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Last movie that disappointed you?

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
What? Animal House is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I don't know how you couldn't find it funny.
ANIMAL HOUSE falls under the same trap like ROCKY and HALLOWEEN where today's young movie goers have seen the movies that ripped off the original movie that came up with the plot.
Old 12-09-13, 01:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
ANIMAL HOUSE falls under the same trap like ROCKY and HALLOWEEN where today's young movie goers have seen the movies that ripped off the original movie that came up with the plot.
I guess I should be flattered as being called a 'young movie goer'

never seen 'Rocky' either.
Old 12-10-13, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am told that frequently about Halloween, that part of the reason I don't like it very much is that so many films have ripped it off that it's lost some of the punch it originally had. It's a valid argument.
Old 12-10-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Bad Grandpa... I thought it was supposed to be funny?
Old 12-10-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I saw Christmas Vacation yesterday. Really, that ended up a Christmas classic? I like the stay at home element, but man. The neighbors (and what happened to them) weren't funny or interesting at all. The Grandparents didn't exhibit much in the way of personality aside from Clark's parents were nice and the others were dicks. No real stuff with the kids, the daughter didn't do shit the entire movie. Hell Ellen didn't get to do much either besides play hostess.
Old 12-11-13, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
I maybe in the minority in thinking that each film after X2 (including the Wolverine movies) got progressively worse...
X2 was pretty much the best X-Men movie. It was building up to a awesome third movie that (sadly) never materialized.

Originally Posted by james2025a
Now Malllrats....wow. I used to love that movie years ago, but about 2 years ago i decided to revisit it and now i have nothing but hatred for that movie. Its nigh on unwatchable. Everything about it is just awful. It has aged so badly in my opinion.
Brodie pretty much sells the movie. Other than being endlessly quotable, I *get* his passion that he has. His passion happens to be comics, but that enthusiasm pretty much applies to movies/music/muscle cars/whatever. That movie rests upon that character.

Oh, and T.S. is his sidekick.
Old 12-11-13, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE
X2 was pretty much the best X-Men movie. It was building up to a awesome third movie that (sadly) never materialized.

Brodie pretty much sells the movie. Other than being endlessly quotable, I *get* his passion that he has. His passion happens to be comics, but that enthusiasm pretty much applies to movies/music/muscle cars/whatever. That movie rests upon that character.

Oh, and T.S. is his sidekick.
Well Jason Lee was easily the best thing about that movie. When i re-watched it i made sure to see the theatrical cut. I have seen the extended edition and that even worse. The movie just aged so badly in my eyes and each scene felt moronic. I remember thinking the movie was funny back in the day, but now its cringe worthy. In fact i would say that all fatboys movies are like this. I used to enjoy Clerks, Chasing Amy, et al. But after not seeing them in years and going back to check them out i have found them all to be horrible. The only one that has its moments is the Jay and Silent Bob movie. His movies are like that book he wrote, written like a diary. Each entry is repetitive, feels like you have experienced it before and spends too much time on shit (literally in the book as every other entry seems to be him taking a dump or watching Law and Order).

Last edited by james2025a; 02-07-14 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-14-13, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will always have a spot in my heart for "Mallrats"

But I will agree with you somewhat on "Chasing Amy". My main issues really stem from Banky going from a "voice of reason" character to some a jealous friend with feelings for Holden. It felt very real when Banky was warning Holden that he couldn't handle the things shes done, and that the relationship with her would end terribly.

Then there is all this "oh shes a lesbian" from everyone, when she flat out admits shes bisexual (her saying she wouldn't limit who shes with). I think the scene where she tells her lesbian friends shes with a guy, and they look disappointed, strikes me as overly silly. I'm not an expert on the how gays & bi's feel about one another, but find it hard to believe that she wouldn't have admitted her core "i'll love who I love" belief at some point.

I think there is a decent story to be told, but overshadowed by some glaring problems.
Old 12-20-13, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
You guys are ruining my anticipation of seeing Man of Steel.
Now I've seen it.

Worst Movie of the Year.
Old 12-24-13, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man of Steel was terrible. My expectation was very low to begin with, yet, it still disappoints.
Old 12-25-13, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

The first new movie I watched in quite a while was The Limey. Boy, was that a whole bunch of nothing.
Old 12-25-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Finally saw Man of Steel a week ago. Other than a few minor complaints I really enjoyed it.
I didn't like Michael Shannon's horrid attempt at covering up an accent and just coming across as acting with dip in his mouth. The score, as expected, was extremely forgettable. I know people will go to their deathbed defending the decision to abandon William's theme, but damn the movie needed it at least rolling into the credits. Lastly the over saturation/blue tint of the flick, while tolerable during the film was glaring after watching some behind the scenes stuff. Superman needs to be in full color.

Last few that disappointed me were an animation quattro:
The Croods - wasn't expecting much but damn it was bad
Monsters University in the Pixar hierarchy it's in the bottom 3 with the two Cars flicks. Wholly unnecessary and not all that funny.
Despicable Me 2 - godawful dreck. Even if you graded on a straight to DVD curve it's horrendous.
Epic - Not so Epic, mostly mediocre. Not to mention it felt like a Tinkerbell ripoff.
Old 12-25-13, 04:41 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

You're Next wasn't very interesting, given the decent tomatometer score.
Old 12-25-13, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastblade
Man of Steel was terrible. My expectation was very low to begin with, yet, it still disappoints.
The sad thing about Man of Steel was that the trailers looked so awesome and hinted at a movie much much different than it actually was. I think a low key movie about Superman as a drifter trying to find himself could be really really cool. It was an incredibly disappointing film.
Old 12-25-13, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There are some interesting elements in MOS, I just think they get lost in the shuffle of the movie, it's such a mess.
Old 12-25-13, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Man of Steel - and I never even watched it.
Old 02-06-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Almost Famous

Heard nothing but good things about it. Except for the late great Philip Seymour Hoffman as Lester Bangs I thought the movie was a 2 out of 5. I wanted to like it but found it played itself too safe. A movie about a 70's touring rock band that feels like an afterschool special about a saintly boy who would never do drugs and is scared of vagina. Take out a couple of F bombs and it could have been rated PG-13.
Old 02-06-14, 02:58 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

EddieMoney is a golden god.
Old 02-06-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

The Counselor. With all that talent (minus Diaz) what a fucking dud. I almost blind bought it too.
Old 02-06-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
The Counselor. With all that talent (minus Diaz) what a fucking dud. I almost blind bought it too.
I go to so few movies these days and am so selective about what I see that it's hard to remember the last time I've been disappointed by a movie. But, yeah, THE COUNSELOR, that's it! It had all the right elements, but the handling of them was botched.
Old 02-07-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Going back to this thread i am surprised so much hatred for Elysium. I actually really enjoyed it. It was exactly what i thought it would be, and i found it entertaining. Man of Steel was a good movie let down by a few really horrible decisions (Laurence Fishburne is a hack actor these days, not rescuing Kevin Costner.....well....simply because, and growing tired of watching action scenes and wanting it to slow down and give us some actual storyline). Also i am surprised about The Wolverine. After the Origins movie i really was expecting a horrible mess, but it turned out to be a really solid movie. I am watching The Counselor tonight so probably be back here with an update.
Old 02-07-14, 02:10 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Her - I think my expectations were set really high so it was inevitable. I read nothing but stellar reviews and I like Joaquin Phoenix in everything I have seen him in. I didn't hate the movie, I thought it was just okay.
Old 02-07-14, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

The Wolf of Wall Street
Old 02-07-14, 04:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Going back to this thread i am surprised so much hatred for Elysium. I actually really enjoyed it. It was exactly what i thought it would be, and i found it entertaining.
thought the exact same thing.
Old 02-07-14, 06:07 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
thought the exact same thing.
Yeah I liked Elysium too.

I was really disappointed in City of Bones. Even though the books were very derivative, it still should have made a decent series of movies but everything they did just completely sucked all the energy and charm of the books right out of it. Terrible movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.