Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Apocalypse (D: Singer; May 27th, 2016)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...or-may-27-2016

In a surprise move, Bryan Singer today revealed the title of the next chapter of 20th Century Fox's popular X-Men franchise. May 27, 2016 will see the release of X-Men: Apocalypse!

Apocalypse, created by Louise and Walter Simonson, made his debut in X-Factor #6. The world's first mutant, En Sabah Nur was born in Egypt around 3,000 BC and used advanced technology to make himself an eternal conquerer, believing whole heartedly in survival of the fittest.

The character's most popular storyline, "The Age of Apocalypse," ran in the X-Men books beginning in 1995. Set in a parallel reality formed by interference to the timeline, "The Age of Apocalypse" saw Professor Charles Xavier murdered before he could form the X-Men. Instead, a very different take on the team began with Magneto leading them through a post-apocalyptic America ruled by mutants.

Since next summer's X-Men: Days of Future Past involves a time travel storyline, it's likely that a filmic take on "The Age of Apocalypse" could spin out of the new film's ending. It's certainly something that 20th Century Fox has considered as ComingSoon.net has learned that domains like AgeofApocalypsemovie.com have been registered by the studio for years. What's more, Singer's new film is set to introduce key "Age of Apocalypse" characters like Bishop (Omar Sy) and Blink (Bingbing Fan).

At this stage, however, all that's confirmed is the May 27, 2016 release date, which puts X-Men: Apocalypse up against Walt Disney Pictures' Alice in Wonderland 2.
YES.

One of my favorite comic storylines ever
Old 12-05-13, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: X-Men: Apocalypse (May 27th 2016)

Very interesting. Would be very cool to see how they adapt Apocalypse to the big screen. Where could the franchise go after that, though? Are there any "bigger" story lines from the X-Men comics? And when will we finally see Omega Red? Maybe he'll just be in a solo Wolverine movie.
Old 12-05-13, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, one of the better storylines from the 90's.
Old 12-05-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Then they'll have to introduce Apocalypse in DOFP somehow.
Old 12-05-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

And still no brood or Starjammers.

Old 12-05-13, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Where could the franchise go after that, though? Are there any "bigger" story lines from the X-Men comics?.
Onslaught
Old 12-05-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Onslaught
Did a quick google search on him because I'm not too familiar with that character. It looks like the Super Shredder version of Magneto. Was he sort of a Bane/Doomsday type character created solely for an epic arc designed to sell comics?
Old 12-05-13, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Did a quick google search on him because I'm not too familiar with that character. It looks like the Super Shredder version of Magneto. Was he sort of a Bane/Doomsday type character created solely for an epic arc designed to sell comics?
I don't really know that much about Onslaught because I quit reading Marvel comics shortly after that storyline started, but yes he was a gimmick similar to Bane and Doomsday. Only Onslaught was far more stupid. Bane and Doomsday were enjoyable. Onslaught wasn't.

Magneto had ripped Wolverine's adamantium out of his body and Xavier in anger did a complete mind wipe of Magneto. Magneto was basically a vegetable now. Basically, somehow Onslaught was created during this mind wiping. Onslaught was basically the consciousness of both Xavier and Magneto combined. I don't remember exactly, and it didn't make any sense anyway. Anyway, Onslaught first appeared a few years after the mind wiping and I remember him punching Juggernaut and sending him flying halfway across the country. In the end, Onslaught pretty much killed half the Marvel universe. He killed the Fantastic Four, and many X-Men and Avengers as well. (They were all outsourced to Liefeld's own company as another "universe" for a year and then brought back to the Marvel universe.) It was all pretty stupid, which was pretty much typical of Marvel comics in the 90s.
Old 12-05-13, 04:38 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

they shouldn't go up against the powerhouse that will be Alice in Wonderland 2!!!!
Old 12-05-13, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Never read AoA. It was published about 10 ears after I'd completely checked out from following this stuff month to month.

It sounding like DoFP is ultimately just going to be a set up for the next film.

great.
Old 12-05-13, 05:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Age of Apocalypse was the last big comic event that I read. It was actually quite cool, because it's basically an extended "What If?" comic.

The one thing I never understood is what Apocalypse's powers actually were.
Old 12-05-13, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Agree - loved age of apocalypse. All the alternate time line stuff was quite cool. As for where they go from here... Brood, starjammers, mojo are possibilities but so far, the x-men universe hasn't done anything with aliens. You could go Mr. Sinister, but movie-wise, he may be too similar to apocalypse. How about the reavers in some capacity?
Old 12-05-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Age of Apocalypse was the last big comic event that I read. It was actually quite cool, because it's basically an extended "What If?" comic.

The one thing I never understood is what Apocalypse's powers actually were.

Here's his history. He's 5,000 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_(comics)

Apocalypse is an ancient mutant born with a variety of superhuman abilities who further augmented himself after merging with Celestial technology. The character has total control over the molecules of his body, enabling him to alter his form as it suits him,[68] such as allowing his body to become extremely malleable and flexible or change its size, enhance his physical abilities, transform his limbs into weapons or wings and jets, regenerate from fatal injuries, adapt his body to apparently any disease or hostile environment and give himself virtually any physical superhuman power.[69] The character is also able to project and absorb energy, and has displayed telepathy and telekinesis. Apocalypse is as well capable of technopathy, able to directly interface with the various technologies he has at his disposal. Apocalypse is also immortal, and immune to aging, not needing sustenance of any kind and can survive fatal injuries. Whether this ability is a part of his mutant powers, or developed as a result of his merging with celestial technology is unclear.
Aside from his superhuman powers, Apocalypse is extraordinarily intelligent,[70] a scientific genius with knowledge in various areas of science and technology including physics, engineering, genetics and biology, that is far more advanced than conventional science.[71] Apocalypse has knowledge of Celestial technology that he uses for his own applications, such as altering mutants or humans. Apocalypse is also a skilled demagogue and a master strategist.[72]
Apocalypse's blood can heal other mutants, but is fatal for humans. Apocalypse's blood can also restore his de-powered mutant descendants as is seen when a large dose of Apocalypse's blood regenerates the lost body part of Chamber and gave him a look similar to Apocalypse.[73]
Old 12-05-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Agree - loved age of apocalypse. All the alternate time line stuff was quite cool. As for where they go from here... Brood, starjammers, mojo are possibilities but so far, the x-men universe hasn't done anything with aliens. You could go Mr. Sinister, but movie-wise, he may be too similar to apocalypse. How about the reavers in some capacity?
They can go X-Force.
Old 12-05-13, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
They can go X-Force.
True, but I wouldn't be surprised if they shoe-horn cable into the apocalypse movie with all the alternate time line stuff (they've already fucked with x-men canon so much already, it wouldn't surprise me) . Then maybe they go from there?

Edit: totally forgot nate grey was in age of apocalypse. So they could do cable, although it wouldn't be the "real" cable.
Old 12-05-13, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from X-Men 3, these movies are fantastic and I'm always up for more.
Old 12-05-13, 05:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

X-Men Origins Wolverine?
Old 12-05-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm afraid this is past "My" X-Men peak (around the Mutant Massacre/Inferno is when I checked out). It feels like the X-Men movie series is in danger of disappearing up its overly convoluted continuity much like the comics has…. And if this does follow the Age of Apocalypse stuff, does that mean we get two movies in a row of dire alternate X-Men realities? Yeesh.
Old 12-05-13, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
X-Men Origins Wolverine?
I don't count that one...and frankly, I'd like to forget it exists.
Old 12-05-13, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After Apocalypse, let's see Cable/Stryfe. I'd like to see that.
Old 12-05-13, 05:35 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

so will this be they way that they recast the X-men with less expensive and younger actors?
Old 12-05-13, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I wonder if they've made any improvements in CGI cloud simulations. SHould be interesting how they'd apply them to Apocalypse.
Old 12-05-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I wonder if they've made any improvements in CGI cloud simulations. SHould be interesting how they'd apply them to Apocalypse.
Well played, sir.
Old 12-05-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I never read Age of Apocalypse; I was always curious, but didn't care enough to read it since it wasn't the main storyline (even thought i know some characters crossed over). Sounds cool though, i'm glad the X-Men franchise is taking on some of the crazier storylines.
Old 12-05-13, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I would love Archangel to be in the movie. Apocalypse was responsible for turning Angel into Death (Archangel) during the mutant massacre war.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.