Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney’s Frozen (Buck & Lee, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Disney’s Frozen (Buck & Lee, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
18.75%
21.88%
46.88%
3.13%
3.13%
3.13%
3.13%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Disney's Thawed
0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Disney’s Frozen (Buck & Lee, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
She was sending the monster to get food for her.
Old 12-05-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Disney’s Frozen (Buck & Lee, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

She created ice monsters... and ate them.
Old 12-09-13, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Love the scene after the credits. It was a quick one, but we laughed.

... and on a side note: That new Mickey Mouse short was just this side of amazing. Loved the blended styles of here and now. Very imaginative and well done. Bravo Disney!
I stayed for 90% of the credits and missed the late scene. Bummer.

And we loved the Mickey Mouse short at the beginning. Extremely creative.

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Spoiler:

As a father to two girls, the ultimate moral of the story really touched me. It was great seeing "true love" defined as something other than prince charming's kiss. And I have to say I didn't see it coming, or the reveal with Hans. Writers did a great job not tipping their hat on that one.
I agree with your thoughts. Didn't see the "twist" coming, though I was thinking at one point that Anna had 2 potential guys she could end up with and wasn't sure how that was going to be resolved.

Our family really enjoyed this one and were talking about it all the way home. The Olaf character had some great lines. I was a little surprised that it took so long for him to make an "official" appearance in the film.
Old 12-09-13, 09:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't stay (dammit, when will I ever learn), but I read there is also a disclaimer in the credits that Kristoff's views on booger eating are his alone, and not the view of Disney. Pretty funny.
yes I noticed that in the end credit crawl - that was hysterical.
Old 12-09-13, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I stayed for 90% of the credits and missed the late scene. Bummer.

And we loved the Mickey Mouse short at the beginning. Extremely creative.

I agree with your thoughts. Didn't see the "twist" coming, though I was thinking at one point that Anna had 2 potential guys she could end up with and wasn't sure how that was going to be resolved.

Our family really enjoyed this one and were talking about it all the way home. The Olaf character had some great lines. I was a little surprised that it took so long for him to make an "official" appearance in the film.
Did not think Hans was going to go the way that he did, thought, guy is a good dude so maybe he ends up with Elsa, so everyone ends up happy
Old 12-10-13, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Some dude said that in Anna and Hans's song you could notice that he's just copying/following her lead to act like they have stuff in common ("that's what I was going to say", etc). I'll have to listen again for more of that.
Old 12-10-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
This is probably overly anal-retentive of me, as I did enjoy the movie, but was anyone else bothered by the question...

Spoiler:
What the heck did the queen eat while living in her ice castle on a snow-capped mountain? It's not like there were grocery stores around or the ability to grow a garden.

Me too.

Loved this movie. Took my 3 year old and 5 year old, and they were mesmerized. They didn't even take a bathroom break, which is a new record for them. Great songs as well. I'm going to have to rate it as 5 stars, mostly because it was so good compared to the crap I am used to taking the kids to (Cars 2, Turbo, Planes, etc).
Old 12-10-13, 01:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ Turbo wasn't THAT bad.
Old 12-10-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking

Me too.

Loved this movie. Took my 3 year old and 5 year old, and they were mesmerized. They didn't even take a bathroom break, which is a new record for them. Great songs as well. I'm going to have to rate it as 5 stars, mostly because it was so good compared to the crap I am used to taking the kids to (Cars 2, Turbo, Planes, etc).
Yeah, I should have given this a 5..based on the fact that we could take our 3 YO to a movie that we didn't hate lol
Old 12-26-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,019 Likes on 842 Posts

Bumping this thread since everyone's now posting in the wrong one.

I liked the movie. I expected to LOVE it, though, and somehow it left me a little... cold.

Seriously, though, I enjoyed Tangled much more than I thought I would, and the early reviews on this were so insane that I guess I started expecting the moon. The story was interesting, and the cast was good. I'm a fan of Idina Menzel and am glad she wasn't a non-singing second banana here, but the big song wasn't hugely memorable for me, and the rest was even less so. It did look fantastic on my 2-D screen, though.

So yeah, a good movie, but a bit of a disappointment for me.

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Dammit, I waited through most of the credits to see if there was an extra scene, but we left apparently before it occurred. What was it?
I didn't stay (dammit, when will I ever learn), but I read there is also a disclaimer in the credits that Kristoff's views on booger eating are his alone, and not the view of Disney. Pretty funny.
This is when I feel smug about always staying through the end of the credits.
Old 12-26-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Moving this from the other thread:

Saw it yesterday and loved it. I really liked the sisters aspect, as that's not something in most Disney movies. And that it wasn't all necessarily about finding a boyfriend/husband. And a nice twist on the typical "villain" from a couple of different directions. And the songs were outstanding.

And I actually loved the visual style. The creation of the ice palace was amazing. That whole number was great.

My 10 year old son and 8 year old daughter both loved it.

As for staying through the end credits - on every movie I see now, once the credits roll I do a quick internet search on my phone to see if there is anything afterwards. Hasn't failed me yet!
Old 12-26-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I took the family last Friday to see Frozen. Everyone loved it (I have two girls, so that was a given). Personally I thought it was really good but still fell short of Tangled. The characters were good(Kristen Bell was destined to be a Disney princess), the story was pretty solid and not having a true villain was interesting. I also dug the 'sisterly love' twist at the end. The soundtrack was spectacular. Grabbed it to stash under the tree and we listened while we opened gifts yesterday. Where it fell short for me is the environments and cinematography. It was just lacking and other than "snow" the film didn't have a very unique style to it.

Tangled was just more fun overall, with better leads(Rapunzel & Flynn, even Mother Gothel) and secondary characters (Pascal & Maximus > Sven & Olaf) and more humor.

Where Frozen shone though was the soundtrack. The songs in Frozen are easily the best Disney has done since the 90s. Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel knocked it out of the park. Even Josh Gad's "Summer" was friggin' brilliant. This has Oscar written all over it.
Old 12-26-13, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Oops, I swear this didn't come up when I searched for Frozen. My bad. Reposting my thoughts here -

Watched this yesterday and absolutely loved it. Enjoyed it more then Tangled, which I also really, really liked. Disney is on a nice roll again with this, Tangled, and Wreck-It Ralph; they're doing much better then Pixar of late in my opinion. I don't know what the deal is with the marketing for the movie, maybe the whole "boys don't want to see movies about princesses" thing. I guess the movie isn't really suffering for it, with over $200 million at the box office, but it's extremely weird since the snowman Olaf is a very small part of the movie yet heavily featured in the trailers. On the bright side, I really did come in to the movie completely fresh with no idea the movie was even about a pair of sisters. As far as the actual movie goes:

Spoiler:
Loved that they flipped the "true love" thing around and instead of a kiss, it was sisterly love. I thought that was really sweet to do.

It was also interesting that it really didn't feel like there was a big bad villain for most of the movie up until the end. I like the other conflicts they had in this taking focus, and even the old fellow who wanted his men to kill Elsa seemed to be very minor.

The Kristoff/Sven stuff was also really cute and sweet; I didn't even realize at the beginning he was alone, I had assumed the other men cutting ice were family. The little rock trolls were cute.

Except for "Let it Go" I didn't care much for the other songs. That said, Let it Go is really great. I've listened to it a bunch today, both the scene from the movie and the Demi Lovato one (which I heard on TV this morning from Disney World's event.

I wish the animation was a bit more unique, as it looked a lot like Tangled and nothing particularly new or interesting. It's nothing bad, but wish it had a little more charm to it.

The only other real complaint is Olaf, which I still didn't care much for. Wish he was played more straight and not slapstick.
Old 12-26-13, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Wife and I loved it.
Fumanstan, not sure how you couldn't like Olaf, he was great.

My one question was that I thought all of the trouble with the ice sisters powers could have been avoided if they tried to teach her to use her powers instead of telling her to suppress them. Bad parenting.

Also, I have an app called RunPee that tells you when all the good times are for going to the bathroom during a movie and also if there is anything during and after the credits.
Old 12-30-13, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
My one question was that I thought all of the trouble with the ice sisters powers could have been avoided if they tried to teach her to use her powers instead of telling her to suppress them. Bad parenting.
That's obviously part of the point, and another element of the plot that's perhaps a little subtle, but works on so many levels:

Spoiler:
1. Sadly, parents don't know everything, and can react in ways that may not help.
2. FEAR was the villain in this movie. And while the trolls made that clear, what was unsaid was that it was her fear that was the biggest enemy, followed by that of her loved ones... and only then the fear of the normal people.
3. It's all allegorical (potentially for MANY things). "Conceal, don't feel" is surely only a tiny step away from "don't ask, don't tell" for one, but then you also have "growing up," "gifted (double meaning required) children", undertones of racial prejudice, and a more general "being different" (including 'privileged up-bringing' and the more-rarefied - and or mostly-fictional - 'destined for greatness'/subject of a prophecy)
4. Mentors or parents or friends or teachers who do not have a particular skill are rarely the people best equipped to teach or coach, but often those thrust into that role. The choice may be between muddling through or shipping a 'gifted' child off on their own. In Frozen elements of both were used: doing what they felt best and sectioning her off in a 'class of her own'.

There's a great deal to be read into this film!
Old 12-30-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Idena was fantastic and who knew that Kristen Bell could sing that well.
Kristen was great in Showtime's musical version of Reefer Madness. That's a favorite of mine and I knew she'd be great in this too.
Old 01-02-14, 12:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Boy, what a disappointment this was. In what world is this better than Tangled? The story felt messy, the characters were thin, the songs downright forgettable. Some of the ice palace stuff was visually cool, but that was about it. I don't understand the rave reviews for this one at all.
Old 01-03-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

took the kids New Year's eve day. Theatre was packed (2D show)
We all really enjoyed it. Had to put the soundtrack on my daughter's ipod afterward.
Old 04-15-14, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Boy, what a disappointment this was. In what world is this better than Tangled? The story felt messy, the characters were thin, the songs downright forgettable. Some of the ice palace stuff was visually cool, but that was about it. I don't understand the rave reviews for this one at all.
Although I didn't hate it (it did keep me entertained), I can't say I disagree. This one is mostly forgetable and leagues below Tangled.
Old 04-15-14, 01:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts