Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Logan (Wolverine 3) (2017, D: Mangold) S: Jackman, Stewart

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Logan (Wolverine 3) (2017, D: Mangold) S: Jackman, Stewart

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,174 Likes on 915 Posts
Re: Wolverine 3 (2017, D: Mangold) S: Jackman - News, rumors, casting, etc.

With 2D and 3D there's the fact that the theater and the studio can charge more for a 3D showing whereas I think they'd have a hard time justifying a price difference for a rated PG-13 version versus a rated R version. So really there's not a lot of incentive for either to do it because it would take up another screen for the theater and the studio would have to bother with editing two separate cuts.

Edit: I see Obi-Wan Jabroni made the same point before I finished my post.
Old 02-17-16, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

All it takes is the peon at the counter pointing out the rating if a child is with the person buying the ticket.
Old 02-17-16, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm sure there is confusion about 2D/3D as well, including pissed off customers who came for the wrong show time. I just find it amusing that we are always railing against studios for being afraid to try new new things and take risks, and here we are coming with excuses for them to not try something new. A couple years ago, we never thought an R rated Deadpool movie could be made, yet here we are, celebrating its success.
Old 02-17-16, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

So I haven't ventured into the Deadpool thread since release for fear of spoilers... have the "this is gonna be Snakes on a Plane" people eaten some crow?
Old 02-17-16, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I'm sure there is confusion about 2D/3D as well, including pissed off customers who came for the wrong show time. I just find it amusing that we are always railing against studios for being afraid to try new new things and take risks, and here we are coming with excuses for them to not try something new. A couple years ago, we never thought an R rated Deadpool movie could be made, yet here we are, celebrating its success.
I think Fox holds a bigger risk with a character like Wolverine who has more mainstream appeal though. Deadpool was a character that they could afford to take a risk on because you either know the character or you don't and the marketing was what really sold it. With Wolverine I think you could isolate people who are already familiar with previous films starring the character. Its more of a risk especially for parents who think their younger kids are able to see a Wolverine/X-Men film because previous entries didn't receive an R rating. Same with teenagers who aren't quite the age where they're able to buy their own ticket to see it. It could work out but I think its a bit more of a risk to take.
Old 02-17-16, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
With 2D and 3D there's the fact that the theater and the studio can charge more for a 3D showing whereas I think they'd have a hard time justifying a price difference for a rated PG-13 version versus a rated R version. So really there's not a lot of incentive for either to do it because it would take up another screen for the theater and the studio would have to bother with editing two separate cuts.

Edit: I see Obi-Wan Jabroni made the same point before I finished my post.
But there is an incentive. They can make more money on the teenagers who can get into the PG 13 version without their parents, rather than just the R rated version they are planning.
Old 02-17-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But there is an incentive. They can make more money on the teenagers who can get into the PG 13 version without their parents, rather than just the R rated version they are planning.
Ultimately I would think it's more trouble than it's really worth. Depending on what got changed there'd have to be two cuts edited plus they'd have to market it as rated and unrated which may cause confusion and if the theater isn't upselling there's not a difference in ticket price to justify having it play on two screens. Either that or they do upsell it and that becomes the next lame trend to get people to pay more so the consumer loses out.
Old 02-17-16, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Fox holds a bigger risk with a character like Wolverine who has more mainstream appeal though. Deadpool was a character that they could afford to take a risk on because you either know the character or you don't and the marketing was what really sold it. With Wolverine I think you could isolate people who are already familiar with previous films starring the character. Its more of a risk especially for parents who think their younger kids are able to see a Wolverine/X-Men film because previous entries didn't receive an R rating. Same with teenagers who aren't quite the age where they're able to buy their own ticket to see it. It could work out but I think its a bit more of a risk to take.
So you think studios shouldn't take big risks?
Old 02-17-16, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So you think studios shouldn't take big risks?
In a case where they already have a winning formula to change it up because of the success of one film to me just seems like jumping the gun a bit. Like I said earlier if the story actually warrants the rating then whatever but to date the X-Men and Wolverine films have gotten by fine with PG-13. To me pushing for an R just makes it seem like they're doing it just because they can. I don't necessarily think it'll make a better film.
Old 02-17-16, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So I haven't ventured into the Deadpool thread since release for fear of spoilers... have the "this is gonna be Snakes on a Plane" people eaten some crow?
Never compared it to that one... but it pretty much beat my final box office estimate end of day 2.

Couldn't be happier btw, was never against the film in any way. Breathes new life into the next phase of X-Men films.
Old 02-17-16, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In a case where they already have a winning formula to change it up because of the success of one film to me just seems like jumping the gun a bit. Like I said earlier if the story actually warrants the rating then whatever but to date the X-Men and Wolverine films have gotten by fine with PG-13. To me pushing for an R just makes it seem like they're doing it just because they can. I don't necessarily think it'll make a better film.
You know what else was just proven to be a winning formula? Rated R comic book movies. What makes a good movie is the script, direction, acting, etc. Not the rating. However, as a guy who grew up watching R rated 80s action movies, I'd love to see a return of adult action movies. And Wolverine, is a violent character, and perfect for an R rated comic flick.

I wager that Aronofsky wanted The Wolverine to be rated R but Fox wouldn't budge because of losing ticket sales to teens. I liked Mangold's version, but most of us here agree that the unrated version was an even more satisfying take on the character. You make it sound like Fox is pushing the R rating on Mangold and he's going all Helen Lovejoy. He directed violent, rated R films like Cop Land and 3:10 to Yuma, I'm sure he'd love a chance to make an adult Wolverine film.

Not to mention the fact that the past few films have been using the Wolverine character to push the boundaries of the PG 13 rating by giving him violent(albeit bloodless) kills and allowing him to drop the F bomb. This isn't Fox pushing anything, it's them finally giving filmmakers the opportunity to make the adult movie Wolverine couldn't have until Deadpool paved the way.
Old 02-18-16, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know for sure that is the case that they're pushing for the rating but it does seem pretty coincidental that they happen to put out that pamphlet featuring the announcement of the film with a proposed R rating right after the success of Deadpool. It could be that Fox gave Mangold the green light light to push the boundaries a bit after they saw it could work I suppose but I'd wager that there were already plans for it to be PG-13 given the history of the films in the franchise to date. Ultimately I don't have a huge issue with it if the story warrants it I'm just saying that I've been okay with the films thus far which have all been PG-13 and I'm sure the new one would be fine if it were rated the same.
Old 02-18-16, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
They all packed up and went to the Batman V Superman thread.
Old 02-18-16, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know for sure that is the case that they're pushing for the rating but it does seem pretty coincidental that they happen to put out that pamphlet featuring the announcement of the film with a proposed R rating right after the success of Deadpool.
It's not a coincidence, it's because Deadpool proved that an R rated comic book movie could be successful. And I doubt they would have come up with the idea if previous Wolverine directors hadn't pushed to make an R rated Wolverine movie.
Old 02-18-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
They all packed up and went to the Batman V Superman thread.
I love how upset you seem to be that people don't like the same thing you do.

This isn't Fox pushing anything, it's them finally giving filmmakers the opportunity to make the adult movie Wolverine couldn't have until Deadpool paved the way.
That's an interesting take. I'm not entirely sold that's the case though and I can see it both ways.
Old 02-18-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I love how upset you seem to be that people don't like the same thing you do.
Nah, just having fun with the predictability of this board lately.
Old 02-18-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That's an interesting take. I'm not entirely sold that's the case though and I can see it both ways.
We have to remember that the last Wolverine movie had an issue where the initial director left due to creative differences. Judging Aronofsky's work, I'd have to wager the level of violence was one of the sticking points. So there's a precedent of Fox preventing directors from following their vision when it comes to making a Wolverine movie. Now that Fox is allowing an R rated Wolverine movie, after the success of the mold-breaking Deadpool, I think it's silly to view that as restricting filmmakers from making their vision of a PG13 Wolverine movie. If anything, this is a sign that they're giving the filmmakers more freedom.
Old 02-18-16, 12:04 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

They still need to make a good movie. can't just go "hey, let's throw all kinds of violent shit at the screen now that we get to do an R". Look at Dredd, so much violence, no substance, no humor.
Old 02-18-16, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mangold all ready made a good Wolverine movie, now it looks like he'll have more freedom. Do you guys think that the studio didn't talk to the guy doing preproduction on Wolverine 3 before going public with the R rating?
Old 02-18-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought I remembered reading something about Aranofsky not wanting to commit so much time away from his family overseas as one of the main reasons he left The Wolverine. I don't remember the rating being a point of contention but it could be.
Old 02-18-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought I remembered reading something about Aranofsky not wanting to commit so much time away from his family overseas as one of the main reasons he left The Wolverine. I don't remember the rating being a point of contention but it could be.
That was the official story. You believe that?
Old 02-18-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was the official story. You believe that?
It doesn't sound that unreasonable that the guy didn't want to be away for a long time. It could be that there's more to it than just that but his kid was fairly young at the time.
Old 02-18-16, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Look how excited he is about the project here. Pay attention to how he thinks his movie will be very different and that Tom Rothman may not know what he got himself into by hiring him. I'm sure Darren knew the film takes place in Japan when he signed up, hell it might have been his idea to shoot it on location. The time away from family thing was a PR move and we all know it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MXI0l_9n_GE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-18-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's be honest though while that may have been more of the reason than was officially given I think he was a bit short sighted to think he'd get to make a big tent pole film in his typical style. The guy is known for films with dark tones and I've liked most of his work but his style while it would have been interesting probably wasn't the most fitting. Even now with Deadpool while it earned an R I think it was easier to do well with because it balanced itself out well with in its humor. I think it could be interesting to see other films experiment more but I'm skeptical on how successful they'd be.
Old 02-18-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

We have to remember that the last Wolverine movie had an issue where the initial director left due to creative differences. Judging Aronofsky's work, I'd have to wager the level of violence was one of the sticking points. So there's a precedent of Fox preventing directors from following their vision when it comes to making a Wolverine movie. Now that Fox is allowing an R rated Wolverine movie, after the success of the mold-breaking Deadpool, I think it's silly to view that as restricting filmmakers from making their vision of a PG13 Wolverine movie. If anything, this is a sign that they're giving the filmmakers more freedom.
I just think there's a lot more to the R rating then director's vision from Fox's side since to me as they're a studio that has a history of interference as well as jumping on what they think would be a popular trend. As much as you and I have argued about the movie before, I would say the tone and overall production of Fantastic Four is an example of that.

While I'm hopeful it's more of what you believe and it's Fox being more lenient after Deadpool's success, I can also easily see it as Fox going overboard and saying it will be rated R just to try and continue to capture that magic opposed to doing it for creative reasons. Like I said, I can see it both ways.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.