Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Slant Magazine's 100 Greatest Horror Films Of All Time

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Slant Magazine's 100 Greatest Horror Films Of All Time

Old 11-03-13, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Slant Magazine's 100 Greatest Horror Films Of All Time

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
but Fulci shouldn't be anywhere near a top-100 list
I know there's a lot of ineptness in there, but his Zombi 2 through House by the Cemetery run is endlessly watchable for me.
Old 11-03-13, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Let me ask you this, what is scarier and has more of a chance of happening in real life. A ghost, Michael Myers, Freddy Krueger or some deranged bastard raping your woman? Sometimes what can happen in real life is more "horrific" than some made up tale.
so "The Accused" is a horror movie?! ..... I can go on if you want to play this game
Old 11-03-13, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also Last House on the Left might be important in the history of exploitation, but it's a pretty dumb movie.
Old 11-03-13, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

Pretty poor list
Old 11-03-13, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
so "The Accused" is a horror movie?! ..... I can go on if you want to play this game
I don't consider Irreversible a horror movie either but I could see the reasoning behind someone who would.
That was what I was trying to explain in my response which I should of typed better if I wasn't half asleep.
Old 11-03-13, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
(but not his irrational love for The Exorcist, which is, in fact, the most overrated, unscary horror movie ever).
So what are your top 3 of all-time ?
Old 11-03-13, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Or New Nightmare, that's my favorite.
One of the most underrated movies of the past 20 years, IMO. A terrifically intelligent deconstruction of the horror genre, fandom, and culture, although the third act is a bit by-the-numbers action. I can't understand how the same person made that film and the god-awful My Soul To Take.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 11-03-13 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-03-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Ahh where is The Haunting (1962) !!!! #1 for me.

And "Yellow Wallpaper" deserves mention. Not sure if Jaws is actually a 'horror' film per se. IMHO
Old 11-03-13, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
So what are your top 3 of all-time ?
Sorry, I shouldn't have written "in fact". I just feel very strongly about The Exorcist being not scary. I know many people love the film and find it terrifying, and I don't wish to gainsay their very real feelings.
Excluding Spoorlos (The Vanishing), which I feel is not horror but would be #1 if it were, my top three are not very surprising:

1. Black Christmas (1974) 10/10 - It's not without small flaws, namely the otiose comedic sidelines involving the boozing housemother and the inept cop, but no other horror film is as downright atmospheric. One can feel every bone-chilling shiver of the wintry cold outside and the contrasting woozy comfort of the fireplace-warmed house...where the killer lurks. Reg Morris's panning, dollying, zooming, slinking camerawork is virtuosic, and Carl Zittrer's foreboding rumble of a piano score is one of the very best in horror.

2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) 9.5/10 - It's also not perfect: I feel the opening hitchhiker scene is too protracted, and so is the manic closing dinner scene, but there's so much gritty, grimy greatness throughout, it's hard to complain. The very beginning, with the radio news report, abrupt photo flash-cuts to rotting effluvia accompanied by disturbing discordant music tones, and the credits sequence of solar flares set to Hooper's phenomenal music, is nothing short of masterful.
The film's strongest section is almost irrefutably its extended middle, when the youngsters, having arrived at their relatives' dilapidated farmhouse, head out unawares in pairs to the charnel house nearby looking for help, only to be grotesquely despatched. Then, as night falls, Sally and her invalid brother, Franklin, are on their own, calling out frantically to their friends, with Leatherface and his fuming chainsaw prowling nearby. The chase sequence with Sally seeing Franklin slaughtered, running to the house and upstairs only to face cadaverous Grandma and Grandpa, jumping from the second floor, running injured, and finally ending up at Jim Siedow's gas station/meat-smoker, is in the running for best single passage in the horror canon.

3. Halloween (1978) 9.5/10 - I consider this the scariest movie I have seen in terms of the number and quality of jump-scares and the generation of dread. Dean Cundey's cinematography cannot go unrecognized, nor can Carpenter's iconic music and terrifying sound effects.

I would prefer not to do a runners-up list, though there are so many great horror films, especially much lesser-known ones, that are in the same league as the above and deserve a mention.
Old 11-03-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
No, it isn't. I don't get the love for this film at all. I've seen it maybe three times now, and each time I walk away from it wondering what it was that I'd just seen. And it's not that I don't love Japanese horror movies, because I do--RINGU and DARK WATER are two of my favorite films. I think that PULSE is obtuse, and I think it's that way purposefully because Kurosawa had a great idea for the setup of a film but absolutely no idea what to do with it after that.

I feel you should check it out for yourself, however. I haven't met many people who are ambivalent about the film--either you'll feel the way I do about it, or you'll feel the way DaveyJoe does about it (see his opinion a few posts above).
I'm happy that both of you have chimed in about it, with different opinions.

As you said, I might have to check it out on my own. I'm a bit surprised that I haven't seen it yet.
Old 11-03-13, 03:16 PM

'Trouble Every Day' was a spectacular gem of art-horror. its inclusion alone gives this list some weight.

i would've expected the same list-maker to include Zulawski's 'Possession' (1981) and 'In A Glass Cage', and maybe even Almoldovar's 'The Skin I Live In'.. but the list is pretty god-damned solid anyway.

though... i never saw this 'Halloween 2' remake that everyone keeps booing about.
Old 11-03-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheySentYou
'Trouble Every Day' was a spectacular gem of art-horror. its inclusion alone gives this list some weight.
Have not seen it, but I am a fan of the director's work.

Originally Posted by TheySentYou
i would've expected the same list-maker to include Zulawski's 'Possession' (1981).
It's #21
Old 11-03-13, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JANK
Ahh where is The Haunting (1962) !!!! #1 for me.

And "Yellow Wallpaper" deserves mention. Not sure if Jaws is actually a 'horror' film per se. IMHO

I equate horror with crazed lunatics or the supernatural. I'd never put Jaws on the list (though its should be in the top 10 if it's going to be there at all).

The most frightening movie I've ever seen is Miracle Mile. A day like any other and suddenly you find out it's going to end in a nuclear holocaust in just a few hours. Very plausible and extremely frightening.
Old 11-03-13, 06:44 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

@ Halloween II (2009) and Sleepaway Camp. Terrible horror films.

They Live I guess is horror film, but I thought it was more horror action comedy. And Deliverance is considered a horror film?

Halloween is way to low on this list, but at least it's on there. I'm glad Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer made the list, that one seems to get overlooked a lot.

Hellraiser makes it but not A Nightmare on Elm Street?

I know no list is perfect, but this is just a strange one to say the least.
Old 11-03-13, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brack
And Deliverance is considered a horror film?
In the traditional sense, no, it doesn't have any elements of the supernatural or even that much explicit violence. But I think that in a sense, it is a film about that most fundamental of fears: the unknown. I also ties into a number of other horror films from the period-The Last House On the Left, Straw Dogs, The Hills Have Eyes-which deal with a darker, more fundamental fear about what kind of darkness lurks beneath the surface of seemingly civilized members of society and within people, that raw animal instinct.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That list is soooooooooooooo hipster.
I was a hipster before it was cool.

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
And Suspiria is the most overrated horror film I've ever seen.
Suspiria is unique. Love it or hate it, I do think it's genuinely one-of-a-kind.

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
I guess I need to see Don't Look Now.
It's supposed to be a genuine masterpiece, although some asshole spoiled the twist for me.

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is an interesting inclusion, I agree the movie has enough frightening/creepy moments to call it horror. I wish they had jettisoned the awful first half-hour (the mirror image Twin Peaks stuff with Chris Issak and Jack Bauer) and had the movie start right with Laura.
Film critic and horror nut Mark Kermode has batted for it for many years.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I was paid to watch Zombie's Halloween II, and I still felt ripped off afterward.
Who pays you to watch movies?

Originally Posted by musick
Irreversible is not a horror film .. then again there are a number of non "horror" dramas on this list
Cronenberg's The Fly at #10 is as laughable as any Rob Zombie Halloween remake on the list
Really? I think it's one of the best films of the 1980s, and one of Cronenberg's finest.

No Omen, Let The Right One In?
Let the Right One In is fairly new, it's reputation might still be appreciating.

Originally Posted by inri222
While I don't agree with it being at number 10, comparing a Cronenberg film to anything by Rob Zombie is hilarious IMO.
I think Cronenberg is one of the cinema's best right, IMO.
Old 11-03-13, 09:37 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Deliverance was a suspense thriller, not a horror film. Just because some horrific things happened in that movie doesn't make it a horror film. Otherwise Tarantino flicks would be considered horror movies.
Old 11-03-13, 10:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Who pays you to watch movies?
I reviewed it for a website and they paid me for the review. For my day job I worked at a theater, so I saw the film for free.
Old 11-03-13, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Film critic and horror nut Mark Kermode has batted for it for many years.
Kermode has a pretty good book out right now. He of course is the ultimate The Exorcist superfan. His "The Fear of God" is of course the quintessential documentary on the film.

Old 11-04-13, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I reviewed it for a website and they paid me for the review. For my day job I worked at a theater, so I saw the film for free.
You have no concept of how much I hate you right now .

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 11-05-13 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-04-13, 08:22 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Fuck Rob Zombie. Fuck Halloween II. What a godawful shit film. I'd like to see "The Descent" on there. And even though it's more of a mystery/horror film, I always loved "Angel Heart."
Old 11-04-13, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I know there's a lot of ineptness in there, but his Zombi 2 through House by the Cemetery run is endlessly watchable for me.

When it comes to Fulci, I love Zombi 2 & City of the Living Dead.
Old 11-04-13, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Fuck Rob Zombie. Fuck Halloween II. What a godawful shit film. I'd like to see "The Descent" on there. And even though it's more of a mystery/horror film, I always loved "Angel Heart."
Yessir!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-04-13, 08:55 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

90 The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Blah.... what an awful movie and I wouldn't even call it a horror movie as it was laughable and in no way scary. Way too much hype and part of the "found footage" genre..... I was bored during the movie and trying to avoid motion sickness because of the damn shaky cam during most of the film.
Old 11-04-13, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

It basically kicked off the "found footage" genre in the US, so you can extra hate it!
Old 11-04-13, 09:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Kermode has a pretty good book out right now. He of course is the ultimate The Exorcist superfan. His "The Fear of God" is of course the quintessential documentary on the film.

he also has a thing for Ken Russell's 'The Devils'

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.