Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Machete Kills And Dies At The Box Office

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Machete Kills And Dies At The Box Office

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 04:05 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Machete Kills And Dies At The Box Office

Didn't have time to see it this weekend. It looks like most theatre are dropping it this weekend, or only having 2/3 showings a day.
Old 10-15-13, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I consider myself a Rodriguez fan, but I guess that's for Desperado and Sin City, as Planet Terror and Machete were fine but not awesome for me. Skipped the kids stuff.
Old 10-15-13, 04:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Didn't have time to see it this weekend. It looks like most theatre are dropping it this weekend, or only having 2/3 showings a day.
sheesh - just because it had a less than stellar weekend opening - the theaters drop this five days in ... wow... I plan on seeing this tomorrow since I left my phone at the screening of 'Gravity' today.
Old 10-15-13, 04:51 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
sheesh - just because it had a less than stellar weekend opening - the theaters drop this five days in ... wow... I plan on seeing this tomorrow since I left my phone at the screening of 'Gravity' today.
Yes... because they need to have 12 showings of Carrie.

Amazingly... Enough Said will still have showings throughout the day for its 3rd week. Usually something like that is in and out in 2 weeks, if that.
Old 10-15-13, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sheesh - just because it had a less than stellar weekend opening - the theaters drop this five days in ... wow...
Well if no one is attending, and you actually have the ability to drop the film and move something in that will draw, why wouldn't you. It's not just about ticket sales... Less tickets means less concessions.

With a per-screen average $570 (on Friday), you had about 65 people showing up a day... Not per showing, a day. THAT was the opening Friday, and it fell off during the whole weekend... They'll be lucky to draw 30 in a day next weekend.

fitprod
Old 10-15-13, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by fitprod
Well if no one is attending, and you actually have the ability to drop the film and move something in that will draw, why wouldn't you. It's not just about ticket sales... Less tickets means less concessions.

With a per-screen average $570 (on Friday), you had about 65 people showing up a day... Not per showing, a day. THAT was the opening Friday, and it fell off during the whole weekend... They'll be lucky to draw 30 in a day next weekend.

fitprod

it makes perfect sense, but I've seen AMC keep some truly unwatched bad movies for weeks.
Old 10-15-13, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regal is not only doing BOGO for Machete Kills on Saturday, but giving you popcorn, as well.

From the fine print;
Get a FREE MACHETE KILLS TICKET for each ticket purchased at the box office on Saturday, October 19.

Plus, you will receive a FREE SMALL POPCORN with each ticket!

Don't miss this great deal at Regal theatres!
Old 10-15-13, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't know if I really agree with that. I'm actually surprised at all the hate for Rodriguez in here. He seems to make films that he wants to make and a lot of them aren't intended to be projects that capture a wide fanbase or are done for big box office numbers. I think he does movies for the fun of making them and maybe more for his personal enjoyment than anything and knows that there's a certain niche audience for the type of films he does.
I don't hate Rodriguez by any means, I own a couple of his films and quite like them. He's a genuine film fanboy like we are, and even if his movies are insubstantial, they're perfectly fun, I just think he needs to reinvent himself again. The boy wonder who made the $7,000 action movie is more and more obsolete in the digital age.
Old 10-15-13, 07:48 PM

it makes perfect sense, but I've seen AMC keep some truly unwatched bad movies for weeks.
If it's from a major studio, they're usually required to keep them for four weeks. Open Road, the distributor for Machete Kills, doesn't have that type of pull in the industry.

fitprod
Old 10-15-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Marcus is dropping it this week (YMMV)
Old 10-16-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fitprod
If it's from a major studio, they're usually required to keep them for four weeks. Open Road, the distributor for Machete Kills, doesn't have that type of pull in the industry.

fitprod
Open Road is owned by both Regal Cinemas and AMC Theatres.
Old 10-16-13, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Open Road is owned by both Regal Cinemas and AMC Theatres.
Yeah... Thus, they can kill it faster than a major studio release which they're under contract to play a film for 3-4 weeks.

Also, this explains why Regal is running a BOGO on tickets... "We've lost this much, why not take an additional loss in the name of concessions."

fitprod
Old 10-16-13, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Regal has a BOGO going on?
Old 10-16-13, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Yeah, check post 32.
Old 10-16-13, 04:42 PM

while I could easily add this comment in the 'Machete Kills' reviews thread - I must say... I thought it was the dumbest film in Rodriguez' oeuvre (and I've only seen a couple of his kid's films) talk about a completely disjointed script, it's all over the place - and not in a good way. The OTT violence seems to compensate for a truly bonkers script, that never ever seems to work. Guess the BO bellyflop of this installment means we will never see 'Machete Kills.. Again.. in Space... (thank god).
Old 10-16-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think he does movies for the fun of making them and maybe more for his personal enjoyment than anything and knows that there's a certain niche audience for the type of films he does.
“I wanted it to be a fantastic, fun B-movie… The number one thing is I want people to say: ‘That was a really fun B-movie.’”

--- M. Night Shyamalan on The Happening
Old 10-16-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

What suprised me was I did not see "Written, Shot and Cut by Robert Rodriguez"

Sure he did do the cinematography and the directing (and even some sound effects editing) but he had nothing to do with the writing. What the hell was up with that?
Old 10-16-13, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
What suprised me was I did not see "Written, Shot and Cut by Robert Rodriguez"

Sure he did do the cinematography and the directing (and even some sound effects editing) but he had nothing to do with the writing. What the hell was up with that?
personally I wouldn't want to be credited to writing this mess.
Old 10-17-13, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yet the mouth breathers can't STFU when it comes to Sin City and when part 2 will be out.
RR gets a pass there as I'll be spending all my energy calling Frank Miller on his bullshit.
Old 10-17-13, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Cutting back showtimes the second week isn't a new thing- when I was a projectionist in the 90s, a number of movies that averaged less than 10 people per showing their first week out (like Destiny Turns on the Radio and Flipper) would get just one or two shows a day the second week, and if it was an R-rated movie it would usually go to the last showing of the night, and the first one or two showings of the day if it was a kids' movie.
Old 10-18-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I was getting my tickets for Escape Plan and noticed that Machete Kills is only playing twice tonight - one is at 8:45pm and the other is at 10-something. Looks like it will be out of the theaters by the end of the weekend. This is at my local Arclight, too.
Old 10-18-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In Vegas, the film is still playing on at least two screens in a few theaters.
Old 10-18-13, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not playing on multiple screens at the same theater but it's still playing a standard amount of times for a film in its second week. It hasn't left any theaters here, but my guess is by next week it will be relegated to the UA that tends to hold on to movies way longer than others in the area.
Old 10-18-13, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Am I the only one who wants to see a Destiny Turns On The Radio / Flipper double feature?

Throw in one of those David Caruso post-NYPD Blue "gonna make him a HUGE star" flicks and I'm there.
Old 10-18-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Am I the only one who wants to see a Destiny Turns On The Radio / Flipper double feature?

Throw in one of those David Caruso post-NYPD Blue "gonna make him a HUGE star" flicks and I'm there.
Jesus Christ, what the fuck is wrong with you? Throw in Kiss of Death and you'd have the worst triple feature of all time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.