Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tusk (2014, D: Kevin Smith) S: Parks, Long, Osment, Rodriguez

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tusk (2014, D: Kevin Smith) S: Parks, Long, Osment, Rodriguez

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Tusk (2014, D: Kevin Smith) S: Parks, Long, Osment, Rodriguez

I've seen Kevin plenty of times at Comic-Con for free (essentially since I got my con passes regardless) so there was no way I would fork over that much money to see him. He's funny but not $60 funny. Y'all were suckers.
Old 09-18-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
Re: TUSK - Kevin Smith's newest, horror. s Parks, J Long & G Rodreguez 2014

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
It was experimental. Smith traveled around with the movie (the whole time?). They did not spend any money on advertising, and kept the ticket sales for themselves. Smith thought that spending too much money advertising his niche-market movies was pointless. The showings were geared towards Kevin Smith fans. At this point, I don't think Smith is going to reach anyone further. I like his movies. But nobody ever goes to see them.
I think he had a similar touring model for the Jay & Silent Bob animated movie.
Old 09-18-14, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I've seen Kevin plenty of times at Comic-Con for free (essentially since I got my con passes regardless) so there was no way I would fork over that much money to see him. He's funny but not $60 funny. Y'all were suckers.
I've also seen him at Comic Con, and I also paid 50 or 60 bucks to see him locally (Just him and his standup/q&a session, I didn't go to either the Red State or J&SB Animated movie screenings, as I wasn't compelled to pay those prices just to see the movies, even with the added Q&A time). Yes, both shows are pretty much the same (though the local show was significantly longer), but for me, it's much more cost efficient to pay to see his show locally than it is to fly to San Diego.
Old 09-18-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Back in the early days of DVD, I use to run into Smith almost every Tuesday at Dave’s Video in Studio City. He would cruise the new release wall and grab handfuls of stuff. The first few times it was AWESOME cause I was a big fan back then. And he was (and still is) very cool to talk to. After a few months of bumping into each other, it was way more laid back just nodding and saying "Hey" when we saw each other.

I think the last time I saw him there was after his Green Arrow book came out. I remember a group of us standing around the counter talking to him about it.

I miss Dave's Video. One time, I held the door open for Leonard Maltin as he exited the store with a box full of Disney Laser Discs. He was researching what would eventually become the Disney Treasures series. Another time, a group of us spent at least 2 hours in the parking lot talking to Chuck McCann about his memories and experiences in television.
Old 09-20-14, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, no one has watched the movie? Or did I miss the review thread?

I'm not a big fan on non View Askew movies that Smith has directed. I haven't watched all them either. I'm a big fan of the View Askew movies of course, have dvds, hd-dvds, blurays, etc. Some even signed.

So, I went yesterday to see this movie. No high expectations. I know that some critics liked Red State, but I'm not a big fan. I ordered the movie, paid $15 or something when it was released in OnDemand, but that's it. I've never watched it again.

So this movie started almost the same for me. I knew what he was trying to do, but I wasn't feeling it. Until it got me. And then I thought I really liked the movie. I actually want to watch it again in theaters.

I didn't read too much about the movie. I didn't listen to the podcast, etc. So almost everything was new to me.

After the movie was over I checked Rotten Tomatoes and most critics are hating on this movie. Some of the criticisms are right,but I think the movie still delivers, even if it's not a "classic" Kevin Smith movie.
Old 09-20-14, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the movie did open today

Dispite being billed as a horror movie, its very talky at times (then again it is a Kevin Smith movie) Its quite fucked up
Spoiler:
You do see Justin Long as a Walrus, almost Human Centipede style, no CGI, so its Justin Long in the creature

I would defiantly say this movie is not for everyone. But if a fucked up time at the movies is your cup of tea, i'd recommend it
Old 09-20-14, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Raul3, I was't a fan of "Red State" either. Sounds like this movie is more enjoyable. Will be checking it out this weekend.
Old 09-20-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be going tomorrow.
Old 09-20-14, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sitting in the auditorium for the 10:40 showing and watched maybe 8 people come out of the previous showing. Most of them were asking each other if the film was supposed to be a comedy. Clearly not a one of those people knows who the fuck Kevin Smith is.

I despised Red State but everything else Smith has done on film and otherwise has been entertaining as hell. I'm not sure what I'll see tonight but I'm so curious and excited. As for the other 2 films in this trilogy I don't think either one of them will be films I'm compelled to see in theatres if at all. :/
Old 09-21-14, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^Dark humor (also a lot of it is kinda aimed at Canadians or familiar w Canada)
Old 09-21-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Will this be hitting VOD? That's how I saw Red State.
Old 09-21-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

We saw this last night and there isn't a whole lot I can say about it. I will say that it shows how far sunk humanity is.
Old 09-21-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still not positive I know what the fuck I watched and I mean that in a good way.
Old 09-21-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I'm interested in seeing this but I'll most likely have to wait for it to hit Blu-ray as I doubt my local theater gets it. Sounds interesting and I like that Smith is branching out a bit more and getting away somewhat from the View Askew-verse or at least is doing stuff that doesn't involve that universe.
Old 09-21-14, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Will this be hitting VOD? That's how I saw Red State.
Eventually, but they went w a traditional theatrical release

Also stay through the credits
Old 09-21-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Noooo. What was after the credits?
Old 09-21-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I saw it. I recommend watching it.

This is going to be challenging for an average movie goer to watch. It's talky and the transformation is absurd.

Michael Parks is really what carries it along. I don't know if I could have sat there and watched without him. Johnny Depp annoyed me for the first few minutes. But some of his jokes were great. Watching Parks and Depp play far-out characters in that same scene was great. I know that people criticize them for both "indulging". But I don't know what the fuck that means.

Totally original. Like nothing I've ever watched before. I would identify it alongside Punch Drunk Love, in that it's really hard to compare it's plot or style to something else.
Old 09-21-14, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eh. I found PDL to be very French New Wave. But I get what you mean.
Old 09-21-14, 05:08 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I enjoyed it overall, but I didn't care for the ending. Depp was fantastic in this.

I enjoyed Red State as well.
Old 09-21-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I realize this only opened in about 600 theaters, but it pretty much bombed, right? I'm not even sure that Kevin Smith fans care about Kevin Smith's new work anymore. Then again, he's totally left his genre with his last couple of movies...perhaps it's time to get back to raunchy comedy.
Old 09-21-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I realize this only opened in about 600 theaters, but it pretty much bombed, right? I'm not even sure that Kevin Smith fans care about Kevin Smith's new work anymore. Then again, he's totally left his genre with his last couple of movies...perhaps it's time to get back to raunchy comedy.
Was it expected to make millions? I get that people don't like Smith but to expect any of his movies to be a huge success in theaters is something that I never understood. Besides, I think this was supposed to be a short lived theatrical run with a digital release following shortly.
Old 09-21-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Meh I'm glad he's branching out rather than just sticking with the safe route. That was part of the reason I was getting sick of him because it felt like he wasn't trying anymore. This feels like a film that will gain a cult following someday and will probably do better on Blu-ray/DVD/Digital.
Old 09-21-14, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

I was hoping he would take the Red State route with this one, that way I could have already watched it at home.
Old 09-21-14, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a huge Kevin Smith fan.

This is one I will not be watching.
Old 09-21-14, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Noooo. What was after the credits?
Spoiler:
halfway through the end credits, the end music ends and you hear Smith and Scott Mosier and you hear the end of the original podcast. Also there's an added scene w Depp after the first ending

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.