Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avatar ...did you like it?
Yes
56.64%
No
38.05%
What are you high?
5.31%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 09:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Avatar ...did you like it?

Surprisingly, the movie doesn't hold up very well for me. I thought it would when I first saw it. First time in IMAX 3D, I was all "Ooh...ahh", but even then I didn't think the story was very strong. Technical greatness as it is, I don't care for this movie at all. Nice eye candy to watch in 3D, but that's it. Whenever I throw this in the player, I usually skip to the wow factor stuff, but I doubt I'll ever watch all the way through again. If I were to rate Cameron's movies, this will be sitting somewhere near the bottom.
Old 09-19-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Great movie. But still flawed. I wasn't aboard to feel the devastation while the tree was being attacked. Nor did I totally accept all of the "tribal" stuff. Love the exposition stuff (I melt for logical sci-fi technology), the action, the story (though largely borrowed).
Old 09-19-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the theater it was amazing. Now, when it pops up on television, it can barely hold my interest for more than a few minutes. I went with a "no" vote.
Old 09-19-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

So you did like it, but it has no replay value, so you didn't like it?
Old 09-19-13, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 431 Posts

Cliche-ridden tripe. Nice to look at, but tripe nonetheless.
Old 09-19-13, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2
So you did like it, but it has no replay value, so you didn't like it?
Away from the giant theater screen and 3D? Yeah. It's just "meh" on my 55in LED.

Imagine a stunningly beautiful woman feeds you a piece of cake, bite by bite. Now that would be a pretty good cake.

Later you have another piece. Only this time there's no beautiful woman. It's just me, alone, sitting on the floor in front of a mirror, eating and crying and calling myself "fattie" over and over. Then I realize it was the experience I loved, not the cake.

Oh God I hate myself.
Old 09-19-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Old 09-19-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattflix
.....I miss the James Cameron who made the original Terminator. Now he's more about making tech demos than actual movies. He's genuinely talented and is indeed pushing the medium technologically. But what is the reward, 3D movies in theaters everywhere that I can't go to because they strain my eyes?

It's the same as when he helped usher in CGI. He provided an amazing storytelling tool for filmmakers to use to create larger worlds. But unfortunately for the most part CGi has been used as a crutch and can often prevent creativity.

And IMO the original Terminator is still his best film. A low budget combination of Action/Sci-Fi/Horror with some Noir sprinkled on top.

Last edited by inri222; 09-19-13 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-19-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

I prefer the director's cut with the extended Earth beginning.
Old 09-19-13, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. That added something nice. Sadly it's still too long in the theatrical.
Old 09-19-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Yes. The haters will hate based on similarities to other movies but that would eliminate most of the films out there.
Old 09-19-13, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Yes

It was the first film in years to make me give a shit about 3D thanks to how they handled it. Rather than cheap shot of things coming at you, they gave depth to the Environment.

The story has been told before, which is nothing new in Hollywood. So that didn't bother me.
Old 09-19-13, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 268 Likes on 196 Posts

Yes and I am not ashamed to admit it.

As Oldboy already stated: it was breathtaking in 3D. Simply breathtaking. It most certainly was.
Old 09-19-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I think a lot of people are not looking at the question's wording. The question is "did you like Avatar?" Not "do you like Avatar?" I think if we're talking about how we felt when it was first released, we would get quite few more likes.
Old 09-19-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 431 Posts

"Haters"
Old 09-19-13, 03:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Expected/wanted to love it, but hated it in the theater.

Hated it enough to probably never watch it again.

And I didn't even buy it, which is really saying something.
Old 09-19-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

It was ok. I saw it twice, and have no interest in seeing it again.
Old 09-19-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I prefer the director's cut with the extended Earth beginning.
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Yeah. That added something nice. Sadly it's still too long in the theatrical.
Despite the extra length, I felt thee extended cut flowed better than the theatrical cut.

I held of on the 3D release of the theatrical cut in hopes that they re-release the collector's edition with both cuts in 3D and the 7.1 audio mix they promised but never delivered.
Old 09-19-13, 04:06 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes
Spiritually moving, visually daring and emotionally stirring, Avatar is classic storytelling at its very best.
Old 09-19-13, 04:31 PM

I go to movies for the story not special effects. This story was recycled from everything else and they all did it way better. Was this movie horrible? No not at all. It's mainly because it is so well loved by the majority that makes people like me hate it more than it probably deserves.
Old 09-19-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Saw it first in 2D & didn't get what all the fuss was about. Saw it in 3D when it FINALLY became available on BD & enjoyed it much, much more. Watching this in 3D is like some kind of fever dream & makes the unoriginality of the plot much more palpatable.
Old 09-19-13, 05:49 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mortalplague
I go to movies for the story not special effects. This story was recycled from everything else and they all did it way better. Was this movie horrible? No not at all. It's mainly because it is so well loved by the majority that makes people like me hate it more than it probably deserves.
Ferngully was better?
Old 09-19-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

McDonalds on a gold plate is still McDonalds, and given how much I hate 3-D and how its largely the reason it's being jammed down our throats now, that doesn't endear me to it. It's a hodgepodge of more cliches than have ever been seen in one place before, a hypocritical message film about the evils of a corporations made by a giant corporation. It borrows left, right and center from Lawrence of Arabia, Ferngully, Dances With Wolves, Princess Mononoke, The Last Samurai, Pocahontas, Nausicaa, and way too many others to count. It's the ultimate expression of the digital X-Box age (Why live in real life when you can have an avatar?), and the consummate post-modern film: you've seen it all before, but never like this!

It is, however, visually stunning, and James Cameron's action choreography is still cool in the age of the aesthetically incomprehensible like Michael Bay. It appears to be a fully realized vision is sheer cinematic terms, the film is put together down to the last frame and is immaculately composed. It's a reminder that cinema might still have places to go, which is all the more frustrating when you consider how backwards-looking it is. It's technology in the service of nothing, a film constructed from the outside in instead of the inside out, not concerned with narrative or thematic coherence. But it does what it says on the tin. As a film which technically pushes the envelope, it's undeniably an impressive achievement, and hopefully someday a more interesting artist will come along and play with Cameron's shiny new toys.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I liked it better the first time I saw it, when it was called Dances With Wolves. Avatar is worth seeing for the sheer spectacle, like so many of Cameron's films. He will never top Aliens.
Cameron started as an old-style B-movie exploitation filmmaker from the Corman school. The clearest expression of that is The Terminator. From there on, he basically became Cecil B. DeMille/David O. Selznick, a snake-oil salesman who sold his movies on increasingly huge production budgets and spectacle, and his movies got increasingly bloated, sentimental, and so forth ("I know know why you cry!"). Aliens is right on the cusp, it's still the high watermark for sci-fi action films for a particular demographic, a near nonstop display of high-tech hardware, special effects, and technical virtuosity from the golden age of the genre. Almost all sci-fi action flicks since it feel like they somehow recycle it.

I like this review.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 09-19-13 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 10:51 PM
Banned

I never saw it all the way through, just clips here and there. I did read a lot of reviews, and the whole concept reeks of reincarnation and nature worship to me. So, I avoid it.
Old 09-19-13, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Can I change my vote? I now love Avatar.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.