Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

UNDER THE SKIN (2013) (dir. Jonathan Glazer) (Scarlett Johansson, Paul Brannigan)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

UNDER THE SKIN (2013) (dir. Jonathan Glazer) (Scarlett Johansson, Paul Brannigan)

Old 01-08-15, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Re: UNDER THE SKIN (2013) (dir. Jonathan Glazer) (Scarlett Johansson, Paul Brannigan)

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
Huh? There wasn't a single fully erect penis in the movie. Plenty of dongs but none erect.

--
Watch it again!

Two of the victims had hard-ons, from what I noticed.
Old 01-08-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Re: UNDER THE SKIN (2013) (dir. Jonathan Glazer) (Scarlett Johansson, Paul Brannigan)

I Scarlett Johansson was standing naked in front of me, my dick would be hard, too.
Old 02-20-15, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Watched this earlier tonight. I just didn't care for it. For me, I think it just couldn't live up to all of the hype that had been surrounding it. I'd heard nothing but good things about it and it just wasn't what I was thinking it would be. Someone in this thread said that it was "too obscure for its own good", and that sums up my thoughts pretty much right on the button.
Old 02-20-15, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I wish she would have done this film 8-9 years ago before she decided to get "actress skinny". She had an amazing rack when she had a little more meat on the bone.
Old 02-20-15, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
I wish she would have done this film 8-9 years ago before she decided to get "actress skinny". She had an amazing rack when she had a little more meat on the bone.
Really? She's thick in Under the Skin. I don't understand your comment.
Old 02-20-15, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Exactly. She had some meat on the bones and plenty of boobage on display in this movie. Nice to see an actress with curves and showing them off.
Old 02-20-15, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Agreed. She was not skinny in UtS
Old 02-20-15, 08:37 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. She wasn't skinny in UtS. She had some nice meat on her.
Old 02-20-15, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts

I agree that she was thick in UTS but I will depart from the others and state that I prefer the skinny ScarJo.
Old 02-20-15, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

She's solid either way.
Old 02-20-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup.
Old 02-20-15, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

seems like her boobs used to be a lot bigger though.
Old 02-20-15, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
seems like her boobs used to be a lot bigger though.
She had a boob job and then years later a reduction.

Old 02-21-15, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not to mention push up bras.
Old 06-04-15, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting article about the decidedly verite nature of filming some of the scenes.

If Scarlett Johansson hit on me, I think that my acting would be the greatest look of surprise since Olivier.
Old 01-27-24, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Well . . . that sucked away 2 hours of my life.

Because I am interested in Glazer's new film, I figured I should finally watch this. I guess I should have read this thread first. While y'all raved about it, I should have known mentions of Panos Cosmatos, Under the Black Rainbow, David Lynch, and Kubrickian should have told me not to bother. If you like those things, all the more power to you. I don't, and this was a waste of time.

The "pop scene" and the end scene were interesting scenes, but not worth the excruciating effort that it took to get there.

Boring, repetitive, emotionless, and bland. ScarJo nudity and a few artsy-fartsy scenes reminiscent of Bakshi's Lord of the Rings cannot save this slog.
The following users liked this post:
Ash Ketchum (01-27-24)
Old 01-27-24, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 300 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Well . . . that sucked away 2 hours of my life.

Because I am interested in Glazer's new film, I figured I should finally watch this. I guess I should have read this thread first. While y'all raved about it, I should have known mentions of Panos Cosmatos, Under the Black Rainbow, David Lynch, and Kubrickian should have told me not to bother. If you like those things, all the more power to you. I don't, and this was a waste of time.

The "pop scene" and the end scene were interesting scenes, but not worth the excruciating effort that it took to get there.

Boring, repetitive, emotionless, and bland. ScarJo nudity and a few artsy-fartsy scenes reminiscent of Bakshi's Lord of the Rings cannot save this slog.
Like you, Abob, I watched Under The Skin for the first time this week. I knew going in that it was going to be a slower-paced Arthouse type film so I was prepared for that. There are fairly long stretches of tedium - no question - but it held my interest for the most part. Wanting to get a better sense of what I just saw I searched out some interpretations afterwards. I thought this was a pretty good analysis ... The Definitive Explanation of Under the Skin - Colossus (filmcolossus.com)

Being a little more informed now, I'm going to give this a re-watch at some point this year.
Old 01-27-24, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate slow-paced arthouse films that many others will say are crap and pointless. I just didn't care for this one. There is slow-paced and methodical, and then there is just . . . slog. It wasn't that I didn't get it, it was that I didn't like how we were getting there.

Before I read the article, here were my biggest issues:

The lead was not a character. I am not crapping on ScarJo's performance, that was actually one of the high points. I'm crapping on the lack of a character. She wasn't a protagonist, she wasn't hated, she wasn't beloved, she was . . . bait. A "man" created her to lure (food?) men into the machine. She gained nothing, she lost nothing, she was nothing. She was bait.

I know that is an oversimplification . . . the character at one point begins to "gain humanity" but that journey was poorly created. "Man" created her, "man" protected her, man destroyed her. "Man" will create another and the cycle will go on. Rather than spend so much time showing how cool of a guerilla filmmaker he is, Glazer should have spent more of her "shark time" conveying what she was observing and learning and how it was affecting her.

The "a little more each time" approach to revealing what was happening to the men was something that probably seemed cool on paper, but failed in the movie's execution. After the second one, it was obvious what Glazer was doing. The question wasn't "what is going to happen?" the question was "how many times are we going to have to do this?" It just felt like more padding.

Which brings me to issue #2 . . . As I said, I don't mind slow-paced arthouse films. I love slow burns that smolder and let us seep into the depth of a character or a world rather than pouring us in. What I do have an issue with is a movie that feels like short-story padded out to make a feature. That's what we have here. A good short story, filled in with, and overshadowed by, artistic pretentiousness.
Old 01-27-24, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

I never saw this until last year and was bored by it.
Abob Teff (01-27-24)
Old 01-27-24, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After the article . . . yeah, I got it. Just didn't care for the journey. Two things I missed, one major and one minor:

Symbology of the fur coat as a predator. (minor)

"Failed" sex scene? (major) Granted I was not fully paying attention by that point . . . I know what scene it was, but I guess I didn't catch that it was failed. I thought she was . . . uh . . . examining the after effect out of shock or curiosity.

I feel the article missed on the rose. I didn't catch the blood and bandage part, but the symbology of a rose is typically "something beautiful but dangerous" due to its thorns. She is the rose, and the blood on the rose would symbolize either a realization of what she is doing (and now has blood on her hands/conscience) . . . or the blood on the rose represents the mingling of her true being with humanity.
Old 01-27-24, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

I think the fact that you have to read an "article" about a movie after you have seen it to understand it, is all you need to know.

And I thought it was fucking horrible BTW...
Old 01-28-24, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate slow-paced arthouse films that many others will say are crap and pointless. I just didn't care for this one. There is slow-paced and methodical, and then there is just . . . slog. It wasn't that I didn't get it, it was that I didn't like how we were getting there.
Yeah, it was slow-moving, cold, and detached. I'm sure that's what the director was going for, but it just didn't work and the movie was a slog to get through.

At least he got ScarJo to get her kit off. And that's really the only thing the movie has going for it.

I think it would have worked much better as a shorter piece, like an episode of Black Mirror than a full-length feature. Or a novel (which I believe it was based on, though I haven't read it).
Abob Teff (01-28-24)