Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

11 Things We No Longer See In Movie Theaters.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/11-thi...185824694.html

1. Red Velvet Curtain
2. Uniformed Ushers
3. Dish Night
4. Ashtrays
5. Newsreels
6. Double Feature Plus A Cartooon
7. Serials
8. "Ladies Please Remove Your Hats" Signs
9. Intermission
10. Exquisite Decor
11. Fully-Equipped Cry Rooms

As a kid I remember movie theater I go had double feature and cartoon shorts. Badly need to bring intermission back, movie like Titanic are too long for people like me to hold their bladder. I gladly like to see crying room back cause idiot parents still bring their baby to theater. Thought?
Old 08-21-13, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: 11 Things We No Longer See In Movie Theaters.

There are still some movie theaters out there that have #1 and #10 on that list. Thats why I love the revival theatres we have in town, and some of them do double features as well. They are more fun then the multiplex on a Friday or Saturday night.
Old 08-21-13, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Add 35mm to that list soon enough.
Old 08-21-13, 09:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Dish Night?
Old 08-21-13, 09:59 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/11-thi...185824694.html

1. Red Velvet Curtain
2. Uniformed Ushers
3. Dish Night
4. Ashtrays
5. Newsreels
6. Double Feature Plus A Cartooon
7. Serials
8. "Ladies Please Remove Your Hats" Signs
9. Intermission
10. Exquisite Decor
11. Fully-Equipped Cry Rooms

As a kid I remember movie theater I go had double feature and cartoon shorts. Badly need to bring intermission back, movie like Titanic are too long for people like me to hold their bladder. I gladly like to see crying room back cause idiot parents still bring their baby to theater. Thought?
Titanic was 194 mins. Long? Yeah. Long enough for an intermission? Maybe. MAYBE. I don't think that film needed one. I remember watching it in its release day. I was 10 or 11, depending when it was released. Not once needed to go to the restroom. I was big on getting a drink and huge ass order of popcorn. If I ever saw Lawrence of Arabia in a theater. I think I'd appreciate that intermission for sure.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 08-21-13 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-21-13, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I remember going to the theater when I was a little kid (early to mid 1980s) and making my parents stay through the end credits so I could see the giant red curtain close after the film was over. It's a simple but good memory.
Old 08-21-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Titanic was 194 mins. Long? Yeah. Long enough for an intermission? Maybe. MAYBE. I don't think that film needed one. I remember watching it in its release day. I was 10 or 11, depending when it was released. Not once needed to go a restaurant. I was big on getting a drink and huge ass order of popcorn. If I ever saw Lawrence of Arabia in a theater. I think I'd appreciate that intermission for sure.
I had to go to the bathroom during TITANIC--and the third LOTR film as well, but I was in my 40s by then. And TDKR and PACIFIC RIM, when I was a decade or so older. It's kind of a given now, with long movies, that I'll have to go to the bathroom. I saw plenty of long movies when I was 10 or 11 but my bladder was smaller then and didn't weigh as much when it was full. Plus I didn't eat or drink anything during the movie. Most of them had intermissions, e.g. TEN COMMANDMENTS, BEN-HUR, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, EL CID. But I remember a few that didn't. WEST SIDE STORY didn't have an intermission, nor did THE GREAT ESCAPE, which was about three hours long. And I sat through those fine. I'm not sure about IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD, though. THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY didn't have an intermission, but I was a little older (high school) by then.

I used to see double bills of the James Bond movies and then stay to see them both over again. And I remember that sometimes there would be a break between each showing of the double bill but not between each movie. So sometimes two movies would run back-to-back without a break.
Old 08-21-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Titanic was 194 mins. Long? Yeah. Long enough for an intermission? Maybe. MAYBE. I don't think that film needed one. I remember watching it in its release day. I was 10 or 11, depending when it was released. Not once needed to go a restaurant.
Those restaurant urges can be quite powerful.
Old 08-21-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Gettysburg had an intermission, but that was because it was around 4 hours long
Old 08-21-13, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Those restaurant urges can be quite powerful.
Goddamnit. That's what I get for never turning off autocorrect on this damn iPhone.
Old 08-21-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Titanic was 194 mins. Long? Yeah. Long enough for an intermission? Maybe. MAYBE. I don't think that film needed one. I remember watching it in its release day. I was 10 or 11, depending when it was released. Not once needed to go a restaurant. I was big on getting a drink and huge ass order of popcorn. If I ever saw Lawrence of Arabia in a theater. I think I'd appreciate that intermission for sure.
And yet 2001: A Space Odyssey was 142 min. and had a intermission, so go figure.
Old 08-21-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

In the 70's I used to go to a movie theater that had vending machines in the back for popcorn, snacks, cigarettes and soda.
I remember the soda machine after you put in the coins and made your selection the cup would drop then shaved ice
would fall in the cup and then carbonated water and syrup would squirt into the cup.
Old 08-21-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Some of these we probably haven't seen in 50 years. I don't remember serials or newsreels within my lifetime. .
Old 08-21-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

The Warren Theaters in Kansas and Oklahoma (the IMAX theater you saw on news footage of the Moore tornado was a Warren) have curtains, uniformed ushers, and fancy decor. The guys who take your tickets wear uniforms and white gloves.
Old 08-21-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Why did they get rid of cry rooms? Never heard of them before. That seems like a perfect option. Could have incorporated them into stadium style seating theaters.

A local luxury theater has a similar "private room" in the back, which you can rent (I don't think it's too expensive). I just assumed that it's for getting blowjobs and the like.
Old 08-21-13, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

How about peace and quiet? With the advent of cellphones there is always some moron highschool kid's phone going on during the movie.
Old 08-21-13, 11:35 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember the days before being bombarded with commercials while you're waiting for the movie. JUST SILENCE from the theater company, while you talked to your friends and waited for the lights to dim and the trailers/movie start.
Old 08-21-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
In the 70's I used to go to a movie theater that had vending machines in the back for popcorn, snacks, cigarettes and soda.
I remember the soda machine after you put in the coins and made your selection the cup would drop then shaved ice
would fall in the cup and then carbonated water and syrup would squirt into the cup.
And the prices :

Ticket - $1.50

Popcorn - $0.50
Soda - $0.35
Candy - $0.25 - $0.50
Old 08-21-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
WEST SIDE STORY didn't have an intermission, nor did THE GREAT ESCAPE, which was about three hours long. And I sat through those fine.
Strange, when I saw West Side Story a few years back it had an intermission. Maybe there were different prints.
Old 08-21-13, 12:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dom56
And yet 2001: A Space Odyssey was 142 min. and had a intermission, so go figure.
True. Though I think that film MAY need it more than Titanic. It's not like Titanic is bombarding you into a tone or world like 2001. 2001 is unlike most if not all films. I may not tire of it in any form but I can see how it could have mindfucked with people in that time.

That's just what I think. Otherwise I can't imagine why it would have it otherwise. It does feel like a much longer film.
Old 08-21-13, 12:13 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I remember the days before being bombarded with commercials while you're waiting for the movie. JUST SILENCE from the theater company, while you talked to your friends and waited for the lights to dim and the trailers/movie start.
This is the thing I most dearly miss.

Regarding the list, there are still a few theaters near me that have 1, 2, and 10. I live near some historic theaters from the 20's and 30's so the decor is beautiful.

Regarding intermissions, I've attended revivals of films that had intermissions and the intermissions were honored (Seven Samurai, Gone With The Wind, 2001). But imposing intermissions on new films is a sticky proposition. The intermission can be a powerful narrative device. Lawrence of Arabia and Gone With The Wind both have major narrative and stylistic shifts that occur around the intermission. Pausing for an intermission is integral to viewing the film properly. On the other hand films without intermissions might suffer from "having the spell broken" by an intermission. James Cameron could have put an intermission in to Titanic or the 3D rerelease a few years ago, but he chose not to. Clearly he does not want the story interrupted.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-21-13 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-21-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember in India one summer I saw Toy Story and I vaguely recall that they inserted an intermission right after Buzz realized he was a toy.
Old 08-21-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Strange, when I saw West Side Story a few years back it had an intermission. Maybe there were different prints.
I saw WEST SIDE STORY in theaters some 20-odd times from 1963 to 1975 and it never had an intermission. So maybe you saw a special showing and they just decided to include one to make it more of an event. Do you remember at what point in the film the intermission was? I would imagine it would have to be right after the rumble scene. I don't remember where Act 1 ended in the original Broadway show.
Old 08-21-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure when it was exactly, but I think it was after they see the Doc at the store? Looking at the description that lines up with the end of Act I. It was a 70 mm print, maybe it was a roadshow version.

Edit: Here we go: Looking at the Wikipedia for roadshows it has this:

West Side Story (1961), although shown in 70mm and six track stereophonic sound, was originally intended to be shown with intermission, but was, in most areas, shown without one in order to increase the tension in the plot - an idea recommended by the filmmakers themselves. The DVD includes options for watching the two-and-a-half hour film both with and without a break.
I think this clears it up. Roadshow prints had it, but most prints did not:

http://cinemasightlines.com/roadshow_westsidestory.php

Last edited by bluetoast; 08-21-13 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-21-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Dish Night?
Theaters used to give away a set of dishes as a premium to get people to come to the theater. One week they would give away a free saucer, then the next week they'd give away the tea cup that went with it, then the next week they'd give away a small plate, so you'd have to go to the movies each week in order to get the whole set.

Jean Sheapard (the guy who wrote the stories A Christmas Story was based on) has a funny story about one of these, where the housewives spend all month going to the movies in order to get this whole set of dishes, but the theater screws up and instead of getting the final piece, is a delievered a second shipment of gravy boats (which were given away last week). Angered at this rip off, the women become unruly and it leads to the Great Gravy Boat Riot.

But yeah, other than one or two items, this list could have been published in 1982.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.