Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RIP Elmore Leonard

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-13, 08:35 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
RIP Elmore Leonard

Elmore Leonard -- the legendary writer behind "Get Shorty," "3:10 to Yuma" and "Justified" -- has died, three weeks after suffering a stroke ... TMZ has learned.

We're told Leonard passed away at his home in Detroit ... the city where he lived since 1934.

E.L. is a legend -- dozens of his novels and short stories have been transformed into movies or TV shows ... including "Out of Sight," "Be Cool," "Hombre," "Mr. Majestyk" and "3:10 to Yuma."

Elmore's researcher broke the news on the author's Facebook page ... writing, "The post I dreaded to write, and you dreaded to read. Elmore passed away at 7:15 this morning from complications from his stroke. He was at home surrounded by his loving family."

Story developing ...
Old 08-20-13, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: RIP Elmore Leonard

Bummer, at least he kept busy until the end.
Old 08-20-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Sad to hear. Although, I must admit I thought he had already passed away.
Old 08-20-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts

That's too bad to hear but he lived a long, full life.

I've read several of his crime novels but have never gotten around to reading any of his westerns. I'll have to change that soon.

He had some truly fantastic movie adaptations as well. Jackie Brown, both versions of 3:10 to Yuma, 52 Pick-up, and Get Shorty are all really good movies and Out of Sight is one of my personal favorite films!
Old 08-20-13, 09:17 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Noooooooo.
Old 08-20-13, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently watched the interview with him on Criterion's 3:10 to Yuma release and was surprised to see he remained living in Detroit.

I had been living in MI at the time and wished I had know, would've liked to attend a book signing (he still did those) while I was out there, but it was too late (I watched the movie like a week before I moved away).

Might watch Out of Sight this week now.
Old 08-20-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Met him several years ago at a book signing. He signed my copy of Freaky Deaky and The Hot Kid, which had just been released. Really cool guy. I also happened to see him two years ago at a nearby movie theater. He was in town attending a screening of Freaky Deaky. I looked up and was like, "Holy shit, that's Elmore Leonard."
Old 08-20-13, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I've read a lot of his novels, including at least one western, "Valdez is Coming," and my favorites are "Rum Punch" (the basis for JACKIE BROWN), "Get Shorty," "The Big Bounce," and "Ryan's Rules," aka "Swag" which, as far as I know, has never been made into a movie. Other novels of his suffered from weak plotting, although the writing was always excellent.

A lot of good movies have been made from his works. Budd Boetticher's best western, THE TALL T (1957) was based on one of Leonard's short stories, which I'd love to read. There was a nice run there from 1967 to 1974 when I saw five films with his name on them in theaters that he either wrote for the screen or were based on his novels: HOMBRE, THE BIG BOUNCE, VALDEZ IS COMING, JOE KIDD, MR. MAJESTYK. I haven't seen the 1969 version of BIG BOUNCE since it came out, but I'd love to see it again, esp. since seeing the horrendous 2004 version with Owen Wilson.

After 1974, the first Leonard adaptation that I liked was GET SHORTY (1995), which may be, along with JACKIE BROWN, the best film adaptations of his works. OUT OF SIGHT could have been a good movie with a different director and different stars (sorry, but I thought Clooney and Lopez were severely miscast), but I doubt we'll ever get another version. I did like the book, though, although my memory of it is clouded by the movie.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 08-20-13 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-20-13, 10:45 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 908 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Sad to hear. Although, I must admit I thought he had already passed away.
i thought the same thing. RIP. Good writer. Liked his style...
Old 08-20-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Sad news.
Old 08-20-13, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I really enjoyed his work. RIP
Old 08-20-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

“Psychopaths... people who know the differences between right and wrong, but don't give a shit. That's what most of my characters are like.”

― Elmore Leonard

RIP
Old 08-20-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Loved his writing and just about every single film adapted from it.

Old 08-20-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Thanks for the books and resulting films. RIP.
Old 08-20-13, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a collection of his western stories this last year, inspired by two of my favorite films: 3:10 to Yuma (original) and The Tall T. Great stuff.
Old 08-20-13, 06:59 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Like so many directors with Toronto-bound films, writer/director Daniel Schechter has been in a race to finish Life Of Crime, his adaptation of the Elmore Leonard novel The Switch. Schechter was particularly in a hurry because the 87-year old Leonard’s health was shaky and he was eager to see the movie after giving a free option to a relative newcomer who was crazy enough to adapt the novel on spec and then clean up rights issues that led all the way to France. Sadly, Schechter didn’t get done in time to show his literary idol the film that will be the closing night Gala Premiere at Toronto, starring Jennifer Aniston, John Hawkes, Mos Def, Tim Robbins, Isla Fisher and Will Forte.

“I would read his novels and to me it was like sheet music, where I would say, I know I can play that piece,” Schechter told me. “So I did a foolish thing. I adapted his book on spec, even though the only research I did was that I didn’t find it on IMDB. I transcribed a very good book into a script, felt I’d made some clever editorial decisions, and sent it in a Hail Mary pass to Elmore’s manager Michael Siegel. He took a shining to it, but didn’t know who owned the rights because it predated him.”

Siegel and Leonard invited him to unravel the rights chain. “It took me and a buddy two years of getting the runaround from studios like Paramount and Fox to track down who owned it,” Schechter said. “We finally discovered Gaumont in France had a 30-year option, but that it had just lapsed in 2010. By then, I think I’d won over Elmore and Michael with the feeling I knew how to honor the book. That I knew why some of his books had been very poorly in the past. More than just another deal, they wanted another good movie, one like Get Shorty, Out Of Sight and Jackie Brown, which were Elmore’s top three. Since I’d found the rights, it was a bit like found money to them. It was a handshake deal, they gave me a year to put it together.”

Schechter said he tried to soak up as much influence as the author was willing to give, and he understood when Leonard was initially wary. “He’d claim he wanted a lot of distance from the adaptation, that he’d been burned too many times,” Schechter said. “But he loved movies so much and so wanted a good adaptation that he couldn’t resist giving his input, feeling me out and seeing what my tastes were. At the same time, he tried to keep an emotional distance because his heart had been broken too many times.”

The highlight for Schechter was a trip to Detroit and Bloomfield Hills for a weekend with his idol.

“We drove around and he showed me every location he used in the book,” Schechter said. “I got to hang out with him, talk with him and drink beer with him. I probably knew his material better than he did, having recently read books of his he hadn’t thought about in 30 years, and quoting his interviews like some geeky fan. The thing he stressed most was subtlety. He saw too many people take the eccentricities of his characters and create a very broad tone. I frankly didn’t need to hear it; I knew that and felt I needed to reassure him that I knew that.” Unfortunately, Schechter didn’t get to show Leonard.

“A week before his stroke, I wrote him a letter because he wanted to see the film and I asked for three weeks,” Schechter said. “By then, I’d have the score, the sound we be mixed, all the effects would be done. I showed him the sizzle reel I made for the crew and he got a kick out of that. I re-read the letter this morning and it made me want to cry.

“That night in Toronto was always going to be dedicated to him because his book brought us together and he was such a massive influence on me,” Schechter said. “It will be a very bittersweet evening. We were ready to fly him out, get him a nice seat and let him see the audience respond to 35 year old jokes that really hold up and characters that really touch people. It’s heartbreaking to not get to do that.”
Old 08-21-13, 04:11 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

I read about this late last night right before bed in a random friend's Facebook post in my feed.

Ended up crying like a baby for a few minutes.

Dutch is my favorite writer.

This obituary from The Onion
does, however, make me laugh a lot and I think it would have made him laugh, too. You'll get a lot out of this, especially, if you've read Leonard's Ten Rules of Writing. Apologies if we're not supposed to post entire articles.

Elmore Leonard, Modern Prose Master, Noted For His Terse Prose Style And For Writing About Things Perfectly And Succinctly With A Remarkable Economy Of Words, Unfortunately And Sadly Expired This Gloomy Tuesday At The Age Of 87 Years Old

PROLOGUE
It was 10 a.m. when this reporter—stubbly, lean, and careworn—leaned in his chair, scanning the news for topics of interest, and chanced upon the demise of a very great writer. Gripped suddenly by the inspiration to write, he composed, carefully and with no small degree of consideration, the story you are about to read.

DETROIT—Earlier this hot and humid day, slim, craggy-faced author Elmore Leonard, the prolific novelist who was known for his terse prose style, as well as for advocating a method of writing that dispensed with unnecessary descriptive detail in favor of succinctness—arguing that needlessly flowery and detailed sentences, for instance, detracted from a work of fiction’s momentum and overall narrative impact—died at 87 years of age. “Elmore passed away this morning at 7:15 a.m. surrounded by his loving family,” a source close to Leonard solemnly intoned in a brief statement this gray and muggy morning after the always bespectacled author, who wrote dozens of popular novels and screenplays from his beloved home in Detroit, the once-bustling city of American industrial power now crumbling under a near half-century of urban decay, suddenly died due to complications from stroke! “Yah, the stroke what he had dere was bad, but up ’til the end Elmore really gave ’er tarpaper, eh? Youse guys, 87 years old and still gon’ Shopko fer bodaydas. Holy wah!” Leonard, who joyfully married the pretty and petite Beverly Cline on a lovely day in 1947, is survived by five children, 12 grandchildren, and countless fans who seek to emulate his perfectly worded and concise, or perhaps the word is curt, or rather laconic, fiction, which was never better than in those narrative situations where tension is at a fever pitch, one character boldly utters something provocative to another, and all hell breaks loose.