Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spike Lee's list of essential films for filmmakers.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spike Lee's list of essential films for filmmakers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: Spike Lee's list of essential fims for filmmakers.

Coolie High?????

Wow, Spike really is a racist.
Old 08-19-13, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
He added some more after people complained that there weren't enough female directors:
Those are some good ones right there.

LINA WERTMULLER - THE SEDUCTION OF MIMI -1972
LINA WERTMULLER - LOVE AND ANARCHY - 1973
LINA WERTMULLER - SWEPT AWAY - 1974
LINA WERTMULLER - SEVEN BEAUTIES - 1975

For me off the top of my head Claire Denis, Lina Wertmuller & Agnes Varda would make a top 100.
Have not seen anything by Chantal Akerman.
Old 08-19-13, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

No surprised at Star Wars films not on his list. Spike called Lucas a terrible sceenwriter.
Old 08-19-13, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I know the list is alphabetized by the first name of the director but did you happen to look at who directed Black Rain.
One of the best films of the 80's and quite possibly Shohei Imamura's best film.

This was the unauthorized prequel of Suna No Onna, correct?
Old 08-19-13, 07:34 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dom56
No surprised at Star Wars films not on his list. Spike called Lucas a terrible sceenwriter.
I kind of agree with him on that especially with the prequel Star Wars movies. Besides the prequels he actually only wrote the first Star Wars Lawrence Kasdan did the second two and I believe Lucas outlined it and maybe wrote a few scenes. Lawrence Kasdan should've wrote the prequels or even Jake Kasdan.
Old 08-19-13, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
This was the unauthorized prequel of Suna No Onna, correct?
Kuroi ame (Black Rain) is not an unauthorized prequel to Suna No Onna.
Old 08-19-13, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Shocked at no Tarantino films on his list...

Honestly it's not a bad list overall but I really dislike Spike Lee. Also it seems a bit odd to me that he included the Coen Brothers on the list but his choice was Raising Arizona. Not that it's a bad film but they have better films in my opinion.
Old 08-19-13, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

Honestly it's not a bad list overall but I really dislike Spike Lee. Also it seems a bit odd to me that he included the Coen Brothers on the list but his choice was Raising Arizona. Not that it's a bad film but they have better films in my opinion.
Was this necessary. Couldn't even get past the 2nd page without someone that they don't like Spike Lee. He probably doesn't like you either. Also it's HIS list so if he thinks Raising Arizona is the best Coen Bros. work then so be it.
Old 08-19-13, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bootsy
Was this necessary. Couldn't even get past the 2nd page without someone that they don't like Spike Lee. He probably doesn't like you either. Also it's HIS list so if he thinks Raising Arizona is the best Coen Bros. work then so be it.
I said it was a good list regardless of not liking him. Take it personally enough? Also I'm not even first person here to bash him so not sure why you're only upset over me.
Old 08-19-13, 09:20 PM
Banned

I said it was a good list regardless of not liking him. Take it personally enough? Also I'm not even first person here to bash him so not sure why you're only upset over me.
LOL not really. Taking it personal would be 'I don't Spike Lee' when that has nothing to do with this topic. If you don't like him and hate him that much why comment at all. You just couldn't help yourself.
Old 08-19-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bootsy
LOL not really. Taking it personal would be 'I don't Spike Lee' when that has nothing to do with this topic. If you don't like him and hate him that much why comment at all. You just couldn't help yourself.
Alright then you seem to be pretty upset over it for not caring. Whatever I don't really care anymore sorry for upsetting you. Also who said I hate him? I said I dislike him. Mostly because he seems to think way too highly of himself and his films. The only reason I came in was to see if he included a Tarantino film on his list of "essentials" because I know he has some dumb beef with him. Chill out man.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-19-13 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-19-13, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like the list for most part. If I'm picking nits...2001 should be on there in place of Spartacus (despite it's interesting production history). Also as previously noted, there are certainly more compelling Coen Brother films than Raising Arizona, although I really have no problem with that particular entry.
Old 08-19-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Hey everyone, this is a Spike Lee Joint list. If you want a particular movie to be on that list then write up your own damn list.

/rant
Old 08-19-13, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Wasn't the reason this list was posted was so we could discuss it?
Old 08-19-13, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Terrible fucking list.

It's all a bunch of old shit no one can relate to these days.
Old 08-20-13, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Terrible fucking list.

It's all a bunch of old shit no one can relate to these days.
Yeah, that's why I don't watch Black and White movies. I'm not a dog for fucks sake.
Old 08-20-13, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Wasn't the reason this list was posted was so we could discuss it?
Yes, but members be like "this movie should be on it or why is this movie on it," etc..
Old 08-20-13, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yes, but members be like "this movie should be on it or why is this movie on it," etc..
I don't care that he put Raising Arizona on his list. I just find it an odd choice of the Coen Brothers entire filmography to be considered essential. It's a great movie but they've done far better work. Just my opinion though. Honestly I don't see why certain posters are getting so upset over others questioning Spike's choices anyways. It's not like this is a definitive list and no one can think any different.
Old 08-23-13, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I e-mailed Slate once asking of I could write for them. Salon too. Neither even responded. The least they could've done is told me "no."

I agree that the lack of Hawks and Ford is pretty egregious. I was thinking it was a question of the time, but he seems to have included some from the classical period, but it doesn't look like much. No Douglas Sirk though. The lack of Bergman is a pretty big surprise, a bigger name in so-called "art house cinema" is hard to find. The lack of 2001: A Space Odyssey is a bit of a puzzler, he's chosen what are largely Kubrick's more conventional films. Inevitably, of course, some things are bound to be left out, although the absence of The Third Man is pretty hard to justify. Doesn't look like much in the way of horror movies either, you'd think he'd at least have gone with something somewhat artsy like Don't Look Now or The Devil's Backbone or something. I am disappointed to see Cronenberg and Terry Gilliam remain chronically underrepresented. District 9 is an oddity indeed.

Originally Posted by Meglos
No Clint Eastwood movies. Well, there's a surprise!
Obviously, I know about their personal feud, but Eastwood's "movie star" status made it hard for him to gain critical acceptance for a while from various people.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
That's actually a good list. I've seen most of those. No Leone, Fassbinder or Tarkovsky though?
Again, the net is so broad, what are we judging upon? Filmmaking technique? political and social substance? Historical importance?

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I assume he's supporting Mel given their shared dislike of a certain group.
Whom?

Originally Posted by bluetoast
He added some more after people complained that there weren't enough female directors:
Women are sadly underrepresented in cinema in general, it's just a chronic problem.

Originally Posted by dom56
Well, since Star Wars "doesn't exist anymore," maybe he's just passing over it. Not that I'm still bitter or anything. Come on Disney, make my last dream come true! He's not wrong about Lucas being a terrible screenwriter, although in fairness, for better or worse, he did completely redefine cinema as we know it, and some of the set pieces he's crafted have proven hugely influential.
Old 08-23-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I e-mailed Slate once asking of I could write for them. Salon too. Neither even responded. The least they could've done is told me "no."
Did you send samples? Because they're likely looking for freelanceers who submit an idea and examples of past writing. "I'm a good writer and like movies" probably doesn't sway the intern who checks the general mail box.

A "no" email could be seen as an invitation to open a dialog with them "Well, why not?" Check out my Slate/Salon editor slash fic," "What do you smell like?"

No response is your no.
Old 08-23-13, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Did you send samples?
I gladly would, I asked if they accepted freelance submissions or wanted a sample, since I couldn't find that information on the website.

Because they're likely looking for freelanceers who submit an idea and examples of past writing.
I'm trying to start somewhere, I have only one prior thing that's actually been published, if the magazine is even still around.

"I'm a good writer and like movies" probably doesn't sway the intern who checks the general mail box.
Not exactly what I said.

A "no" email could be seen as an invitation to open a dialog with them "Well, why not?" Check out my Slate/Salon editor slash fic," "What do you smell like?"
That's kind of perverse . I would've just taken "We do not accept freelance submissions and are not seeking any new employees at this time."

No response is your no.
Yeah, I'm intelligent enough to have gathered that much.
Old 08-23-13, 12:41 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It's a list of essential films FOR FILMMAKERS. Aspiring filmmakers can learn alot more from Blood Simple and Raising Arizona than No Country for Old Men. Both films highlight technique in a very forthright way; expresive camera movement, expresive use of lense selection, montage and cross cut editing, complex sound design, expressive use of music. It's all very obviously on show. In one sense the Coen's were very sophomoric at that time, but that just makes their films from that period that much more instructive. You can learn alot more from Raising Arizona then you can from A Serious Man even if A Serious Man is the better film.

Just as an aspiring filmmaker can probably learn a lot more from watching Mean Streets than The Aviator.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-23-13 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-23-13, 01:20 PM

That's a pretty fine list there; it's good to see the Rossellini films incuded.

If I had a complaint, it would be the omission of movies made before the 40s. Since this is a list for filmmakers, you might expect the inclusion of at least a couple of silent-era movies - where a lot of film techniques were invented or first used (Griffith's Intolerance would be one example). It also might not hurt to include one of the Busby Berkeley musicals, or a 30s horror film. Some of the FX used then still hold up remarkably well; those in Bride of Frankenstein and The Devil Doll, for instance.

My two cents.
Old 08-23-13, 03:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, like we're going to take movie advice from someone that can't make them.....
Old 08-23-13, 03:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Yeah, like we're going to take movie advice from someone that can't make them.....
This may be a rumor, but I've heard that Spike Lee has made several films.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.