Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

You’re Next (Wingard, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: You’re Next (Wingard, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
0%
25.00%
39.29%
7.14%
14.29%
7.14%
0%
3.57%
3.57%
0%
0%
You’re Loss!
0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

You’re Next (Wingard, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Old 08-28-13, 04:49 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: You’re Next (Wingard, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by islandclaws
C'mon, Brack, don't you know it's racist to accurately describe people if they're black?
I know, right?
Old 08-28-13, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had high expectations and it didn't disappoint. It wasn't 'amazing', but it was really damn good. I thought the build-up was good, but a little 'empty'. Sharni Vinson's character felt a little forced as well, like it tried too hard to make her really great at doing everything (although she didn't do a bad job). Overall, very fun and some cool deaths. 8/10
Old 08-28-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I expected her to die, I thought that as soon as they opened the door there would be a guy with a shotgun standing on the front step who pumped two in her chest sending her flying back Evil Dead style.
I remember the audience I saw it with was laughing and yelling:

Spoiler:
That she was probably going to get shot in the face with an arrow or something

Originally Posted by dex14
You weren't. I didn't mean that directed at you. I just didn't want anything to get out of hand or something.
I didn't think it was directed at me, but felt like I should apologize anyway. It's a good reminder that I don't need to respond to everything and everyone on these forums.
Old 08-28-13, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Yet in context, their race has nothing to do with what annoyed him or what hindered his movie-going experience. Their loudness and rudeness was the issue. Though to be fair if the culprits were Caucasian, Brack would fairly say, "These two White Ladies..."

I laughed at every death as well at the film, so I guess minorities find "You're Next" a hilarious Horror film. That or that all the deaths were so over-the-top (in most Modern Horror Fashion), that all you could do is laugh.

How do you not laugh at:

Spoiler:
One of the sisters pumping herself up to run out the door, when as an audience, you know the director is setting up something ridiculous to happen. Not long before that scene, they are arguing about who the fastest in the family is, with one brother saying he's the fastest (but with an arrow in his back)

I don't even know why laughing at a Horror film is surprising or seen as 'disturbing', because it's not and is very much a part of the genre.

If someone was watching the documentary/shockumentary, 'Orozco The Embalmer' and laughed at that, maybe then some red flags would be raised. Lots of people here said this film was the most 'fun' they've had in a long time, does that make all of them 'disturbed' too?

Back on topic, I need to see this film again. Might need to sneak in a Matinee showing this week.
Call me racist all you want, but black audiences are almost always loud at horror flicks, especially black women.

Yes, some of the deaths were funny, but not the mother and father murderers. They laughed at those too. Those weren't funny at all. And bringing an infant to a theater in a movie like this is disturbing.

A bunch of dumb white girls talked a lot who sat behind us at the theater as well, but whatever, make something out of nothing.
Old 08-28-13, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Did anyone else laugh at the line late in the film:

Spoiler:
About the youngest brother's girlfriend wanting to fuck next to his dead mom?

It was funny but in the most awkward kind of way.
Old 08-28-13, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Nowhere in my response did I call you 'Racist'. Can we just move on now?
Works for me, just that people were implying I was.

And yes, that girlfriend's request was fucked up, but funny.
Old 08-30-13, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I wasn't going to see it until I read this thread, now I'm excited. I'm a sucker for movies like Final Destination and The Collector, the more gruesome the better. Liked Mama, the latest Evil Dead, etc., so I'll be dropping by this one. Skipped The Purge just because I had too much stuff to do and my movie time went to zero but this will be a nice welcome back.
Old 09-02-13, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Absolutely loved it until the ending which ruined it for me and made it go from one of the best horror movies I ever saw to one of the worst.
Old 09-05-13, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was pretty enjoyable, but the hype for the movie seems really ridiculous. I was entertained and the movie delivered some good gore, a brisk and steady pace, and some new ides for this type of movie.

The motive seemed thrown together and it does suffer from terrible decision syndrome, but that is to be expected. Sharni Vinson did a great job, but a lot of the little comedic lines really amped up my enjoyment. I laughed out loud thanks to more than one.

I think some of the reviews stating that the movie is scary hurt it too, since the movie is not scary at all. But it is well worth watching.
Old 09-05-13, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, when I mean the ending I don't mean

Spoiler:
finding out the two boys were after the inheritance, that was fine. It was after she stabs him, that's when it went downhill.
So pretty much just the last minute.
Old 09-06-13, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This movie was a lot of fun, which is more than I can say of most horror movies.
Old 09-09-13, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

I thought it was a fair permutation of ideas and motifs we've seen dozens of times before, often better. I liked the lead actress, but much of the acting, dialogue, and writing (crafting believable scenarios) was subpar. Someone behind this flick sure likes Dwight Twilley.
Old 09-16-13, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Had some nice kills and Sharni Vinson did a really good job, but every other actor was just awful. Kind of laughed when I found Ti West was in it. How the hell did this get amazing reviews on Rotten Tomato? They usually do a good job reviewing movies, but this movie had like 80-90% critics reviewed during opening weekend. Amazing marketing job, but no idea how everyone was digging this.