Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why White People Don't Like Black Movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why White People Don't Like Black Movies

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-13, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Why White People Don't Like Black Movies

I like FRIDAY
Old 08-05-13, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
I like FRIDAY
Haven't seen it in years. Does it still hold up? Were the sequels any good?
Old 08-05-13, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Latinos have this with Machete. Machete Kills will be interesting. Granted, the whites seeing the film will only pick up on the Grindhouse factor as opposed to all of the subtext and jokes. I remember when the first film came out and whites were pissed at the inclusion of "We didn't cross the border, the border crossed us." They called it "preachy" and "politically slanted."
I don't understand how anyone could possibly take that film seriously as any kind of political statement, it was so ridiculously over-the-top and ludicrous.

Originally Posted by inri222
"Coming To America" is a comedy classic; beloved ( and quoted verbatim) all over the world. Eddie Murphy stars as an African prince who comes to New York in search of his bride. It's absurd, culturally insensitive, and absolutely hilarious.

Much like the majority of this list.
Wasn't Eddie Murphy the biggest box office draw around once upon a time?
Old 08-05-13, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The first one is still funny after all these years. The sequels are ok, but not as good as the first.
Old 08-05-13, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I still laugh at it. it's very 90s, but I still love it. I didn't like the 2nd and never saw the 3rd.
Old 08-05-13, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It's aged a bit poorly, but still quite funny. The sequels are dreadful.
Old 08-05-13, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Chinese-American writer Jeff Yang used to complain about white people coming up to him and bragging about how they cried during JOY LUCK CLUB.
Old 08-05-13, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I think if a film is a straightforward genre picture (sci-fi, action, rom-com) then white audiences (and audiences of every race) tend to be more color blind. Witness the popularity of genre fare staring Will Smith and Denzel Washington. Washington has even made films that are nearly all black that while perhaps not being blockbusters, have met with considerable acclaim and/or became cult films (Devil in a Blue Dress, Mississippi Masala, Out of Time).

It's when the "black film" is a comedy or drama that white audiences fail to connect. I think this comes down to fundamental differences between blacks and whites in America. Comedy is a VERY subjective thing and what different cultures find funny differs a lot. The same goes for drama where the conflict in a black film may be resolved in a drastically different way than it would in a "white film".

What does movie distribution tell us about race?
Old 08-05-13, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar to how straight people don't watch films with predominantly gay characters or themes, but gay people will watch the opposite. This isn't really a shocking argument.
Old 08-05-13, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do not like movies about drugs (I hate drugs), racist, tons of foul language, strippers, psychos/horror (they really freak me out), sex, torturing (Saw movies...)...from a "White" or "Black" movie.

-Did not see Training Day in the movie theater, it was a B/W movie and I LOVE Denzel Washington.

Though I see almost everyone of Denzel Washington's movies
-Loved Deja Vu because I love Time Travel
-Hated Ricochet and Training Day because I did not like the material the movie contained

I believe I seen more DW movies than any other actor that I can think of

List of "Black" (I really hate that there is a list of "Black Movies", some of the movies below I would not list as "Black", but IMDB did.) that I went to the theater and/or I own on DVD/BR:
42 (2013)
The Secret Life of Bees (2008)
The Great Debaters (2007)
The Last King of Scotland (2006)
The Pursuit of Happyness (2006)
Glory Road (2006)
Dreamgirls (2006)
Coach Carter (2005)
Hotel Rwanda (2004)
Ray (2004)
Antwone Fisher (2002)
Undercover Brother (2002)
Ali (2001)
Remember the Titans (2000)
He Got Game (1998)
Blade (1998)
Amistad (1997)
A Time to Kill (1996)
Bad Boys 1 and 2 (1995)
Glory (1989)
Lean on Me (1989) - Loved this more, but I also love "The Principal". Similar movies, but played by a Black and a White man.
Coming to America (1988)
Cry Freedom (1987)
The Color Purple (1985) - I am still upset it did not win the Academy Award for movie/director of the year
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)

In the Heat of the Night (1967) - Could be my favorite movie in the bunch. Sidney Poitier is AWESOME in this movie. Movie has real meaning to it.

I hate going to see cheaply made "White Trash" movies and I hate going to see cheaply made "Black" movies.

Sure, there are people who will not go see a "Black" movie, but if you put out a great movie people will go see it.
Old 08-05-13, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

So is White Chicks considered a "white" movie or "black" movie?
Old 08-05-13, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
So is White Chicks considered a "white" movie or "black" movie?
That is a good one, very funny.
Old 08-05-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Coming to America
Old 08-05-13, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mabuse

It's when the "black film" is a comedy or drama that white audiences fail to connect. I think this comes down to fundamental differences between blacks and whites in America. Comedy is a VERY subjective thing and what different cultures find funny differs a lot. The same goes for drama where the conflict in a black film may be resolved in a drastically different way than it would in a "white film".
Yeah well, what I got out of the article is exactly what you're saying. Blacks do in fact find it easier to connect with a wider range of White films no matter how different they are culturally. As the article said, "We have no choice". This is most likely due to Blacks being exposed to White films at a greater rate than Whites to Blacks films.

Sooo, it would seem based on your post...Whites have a limited range when it comes to connecting with Blacks films.
Old 08-05-13, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

This type of cultural phenomenon works both ways. Seinfeld was basically a non-entity among Black viewers during its era, according to the ratings.
Old 08-05-13, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
That is a good one, very funny.
The movie, or the comment?
Old 08-05-13, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Similar to how straight people don't watch films with predominantly gay characters or themes, but gay people will watch the opposite.
Agree 100%. It makes sense.

This isn't really a shocking argument.
Again, agree 100%. Never said it was. I've said this very thing for years. But I still like seeing White posters making jokes and trying to explain it as something else.
Old 08-05-13, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This type of cultural phenomenon works both ways. Seinfeld was basically a non-entity among Black viewers during its era, according to the ratings.
Wel Michael Richards has certainly made some inroads into the black community, so maybe they will start netflixing it!
Old 08-05-13, 07:32 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Sooo, it would seem based on your post...Whites have a limited range when it comes to connecting with Blacks films.
What is a "black film"? I would say that a black film is a film with a predominantly black cast that deals with issues from a black point of view. I’m generalizing, but the only films that can have a black point of view are comedies and dramas. There is no such thing as "black sci-fi" or "black action". Blacksploitation action fare of the 1970's didn't have a distinct esthetic the way Chinese action cinema has a unique esthetic. There really is no ethnic identity among genre films about shooting aliens or punching bad guys. But when you get into drama and comedy things get more culturally unique.

Regarding Comedy

Take British comedy. In Britain what we call “British Comedy” is 100% within mainstream tastes but in America it has only a cult following. Different cultures find different things funny in different ways. Same thing with most English drama. I really have no patience for the Masterpiece Theater Downton Abbey type melodrama imported from England. Yet in England apparently they eat that shit up. Some styles are globally embraced and some are culturally unique. Indians like 3 1/2 hour musicals.

Regarding Drama

I haven't seen Nothing But A Man, but I've seen a bit of Charles Burnett's work and while I loved it I can see why an audience might reject it. Not for its black subject matter but rather its focus on urban life and poverty.

I think there is really a more class/cultural thing going on when audiences reject black drama and comedy. Most of what we call racism is really class-ism. People don't like depictions of black urban poverty, but they aren't wild about depictions of Indian poverty either (although Slumdog seems to be the exception that proves the rule). Rejecting Nothing But A Man or Killer of Sheep is probably not due to the color of the actors’ skin.

All I'm saying is that if the main character is blasting insects Americans don't make a race distinction, but when the main character "works long hours at a slaughterhouse in Watts and the monotonous slaughter affects his home life with his unnamed wife and through a series of episodic events a austere mosaic of working-class life emerges" then a majority of the audiences is going to reject the film, be they white black or anything else.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Whites have a limited range when it comes to connecting with Blacks films.
I think the majority film audience has a limited range when it comes to most everything in cinema. B&W, subtitles, non-narative, etc films all draw criticism from audiences that prefer "unpretentious" films.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-05-13 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-05-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Reminds me of when DC Comics started the Milestone imprint in 1993. That studio produced comics that were definitely multiculturally-oriented, but never mind that; those were some FANTASTIC books. Icon, Hardware, Xombi, Kobalt, Static. Shadow Cabinet... all of them amazing. I collected the entire line of comics and loved them. Unfortunately, they were pretty much viewed as the DC "ghetto" -- the "black comics" -- by most readers at the time (and also started up as a line at the very height of the comics bubble, as the industry started to implode).

They could never shake that label. It's a shame. If the perception is that something is "for blacks", most won't give it an honest chance.

Poop
Old 08-05-13, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm not sure what this article is talking about. I loved Jurassic Park and that had Denzel Washington in a very memorable role: "Hold onto your butts!"
ya damn goof.
Old 08-05-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've always been a fan of "black" films from the 70's, but films made from the 90's on have been terrible...
Old 08-05-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

The more intriguing question is why black people enjoy Tyler Perry movies when absolutly nobody else does. Is black cinema such a shallow pool that black people are choosing bad black cinema over no black cinema?
Old 08-05-13, 07:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

To be fair, Tyler Perry movies aren't even marketed to white audiences. Likewise, I doubt that locally made Mormon-themed movies are marketed much outside of Utah.
Old 08-05-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...he-right-thing

25 best black movies of the last 25 years.

The history of African-American cinema is a long, winding road.

Since the days of Oscar Micheaux and Paul Robeson, black actors, actresses, writers, directors, and producers have been fighting for respect. The black nationalism of films like Carmen Jones and A Raisin in the Sun fueled the Civil Rights Movement during the 1950s and 1960s, while blaxploitation films like Shaft and Sweet Sweetback’s Badasssss Song echoed the revolutionary sentiments of the 1970s.

During the 1980s, black film earned mainstream respect thanks to the bravery of directors like Spike Lee and Robert Townsend. The scene exploded during the ‘90s, with everything from comedies to brutally honest depictions of urban life finding critical acclaim. Since then, black film has been largely unpredictable and difficult to classify.

In putting this feature together, we spoke at length about what makes a black film. Note that a black film doesn’t have to have a black director. For example, take Eddie Murphy’s triumphant comedy Coming to America. The film is directed by John Landis, the same man responsible for Animal House and The Blues Brothers. Even with a white director, Coming to America is a distinct piece of black cinema thanks to its casting and themes.

Speaking of Coming to America, tomorrow marks the 25th anniversary of its release. In the quarter of a century since Eddie Murphy first dominated Hollywood, black film has seen ups and downs, but some amazing work has been created during that time frame. On the eve of Coming to America’s 25th birthday, we look back at the 25 best black movies of the last 25 years.

1. Do the Right Thing (1989)
2. Coming to America (1988)
3. Malcolm X (1992)
4. Menace ll Society (1993)
5. Boyz N the Hood (1991)
6. Friday (1995)
7. House Party (1990)
8. Love Jones (1997)
9. New Jack City (1991)
10. Crooklyn (1994)
11. What's Love Got to Do with It? (1993)
12. Juice (1992)
13. CB4 (1993)
14. The Wood (1999)
15. Love and Basketball (2000)
16. Soul Food (1997)
17. Black Dynamite (2009)
18. School Daze (1988)
19. Boomerang (1992)
20. Brown Sugar (2002)
21. I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (1988)
22. Dead Presidents (1995)
23. Bamboozled (2000)
24. Pariah (2011)
25. The Five Heartbeats (1991)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some others

Ballast (2008)
Shaft (1971)
Body and Soul (1925)
Clockers (1995)
Within Our Gates (1920)
Killer of Sheep (1979)
Hollywood Shuffle (1987)
One False Move (1992)
Daughters of the Dust (1991)
Training Day (2001)
Get on the Bus (1996)
Precious (2009)
Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (1971)
Baadasssss! (2003)
The Harder They Come (1972)

Last edited by inri222; 08-05-13 at 08:00 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.