Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Elysium (Blomkamp, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Elysium (Blomkamp, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
6.52%
2.17%
23.91%
23.91%
21.74%
8.70%
6.52%
4.35%
0%
0%
2.17%
District 10: dan30oly is a troll
0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Elysium (Blomkamp, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-13, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Elysium (Blomkamp, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by gmanca
Now I really know why I liked this movie; at first I saw the cerebral depot plot device as a cool nod to Johnny Mnemonic, a movie whose plot and look I really dug, but there are way too many similarties and references for it not be another adaptation that takes from Gibson's tale. The hacker dude's name is Spider for one thing!
hahaha, I noticed that to but let slide.
Old 08-17-13, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Nothing outside of L.A. is shown in Elysium - or mentioned. For all we know L.A. is all that's left.
And that is my biggest gripe among other big gripes. The director lacks the vision and ability of how to make the movie a living breathing world. I knew the plot was going to be heavy handed, but I went in hoping to be sucked in by the cinematography and epic largeness of Elysium and the remains of an overpopulated earth. It just comes off as an over budget b-flick.
Old 08-17-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
So, you don't enjoy clever things? "This movie was clever but I'm quite the dullard!" That's what your comment sounds like!
Clever doesn't always mean good, in the case of D9 it was about 90 minutes too long.
Old 08-26-13, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this yesterday. It looked great, it was mildly entertaining, but the story was really stupid.

Not really worth enumerating all the reasons, but here are the top three:

1. A few lines of assembly code magically fixes all of society's problems
2. Apparently no one has the source code to Elysium's systems to undo the changes
3. If the system says you're the president, who is the public (or anyone else) to argue?
Old 08-27-13, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I saw this yesterday. It looked great, it was mildly entertaining, but the story was really stupid.

Not really worth enumerating all the reasons, but here are the top three:

1. A few lines of assembly code magically fixes all of society's problems
2. Apparently no one has the source code to Elysium's systems to undo the changes
3. If the system says you're the president, who is the public (or anyone else) to argue?
Number 3 can be explained because as we saw at the end, the peace of the planet was kept by robots. Meaning whoever the robots thought was the president, they would protect. I would assume the only way to regain control of the machines was to input another code or destroy them. Remember too the whole point it seems was to gain access to medical supplies which were all controlled by robots.
Old 08-27-13, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
Now I really know why I liked this movie; at first I saw the cerebral depot plot device as a cool nod to Johnny Mnemonic, a movie whose plot and look I really dug, but there are way too many similarties and references for it not be another adaptation that takes from Gibson's tale. The hacker dude's name is Spider for one thing!
Well, then at least we know he actually reads!
Old 08-27-13, 08:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I agree. I was outright laughing by the end. Why do they have fleets of ships with the magic heal machines just ready to go...especially when everybody already has one in their house? It's clear that nothing was thought through, and that the director thought the "message" was more important than plot or characters.
Old 08-27-13, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Yea. All that time spent, making it look very real. They should have spent more time and fleshed out the logic behind everything. You can't always expect the viewer to take such large leaps of logic.

Still a cool sci-fi action film. But could have been something much more.

Maybe Blomkamp will be more critical of himself next time around. I think he's talented and will deliver some mind-blowing, epic movie experience one day. But I don't think he's done it yet.
Old 08-27-13, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I agree. I was outright laughing by the end. Why do they have fleets of ships with the magic heal machines just ready to go...especially when everybody already has one in their house? It's clear that nothing was thought through, and that the director thought the "message" was more important than plot or characters.
The U.S. has pretty much a hospital of some sort in every medium to large city. Yet we have hospital ships that are ready to go where there's a need.

Maybe it's a stretch but I'm just trying to think of something comparable... not to give an excuse for the script.
Old 08-27-13, 11:12 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really didn't see that many robots 'controlling' Los Angeles. We saw the factories and 2 robots harassing Mexican Matt Damon.

But when they REALLY wanted to find him they only had 4 guys in a chopper look for him? It's like it was a low budget movie that couldn't afford to show robots marching through the streets or running SWAT team raids.

WHERE WERE ALL THE ROBOTS OPPRESSING MANKIND!?! DAMMIT!
Old 08-27-13, 11:38 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Also, from a pure business perspective it would make sense to have one of those Magical Medical Machines in the factory. Somebody gets hurt, just put them in the machine and get them back on the line within minutes.

Also, why do they have robots doing service jobs (Parole Officer, Cop, Medic) but not working the line at the factory?
Old 08-27-13, 11:44 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Also, from a pure business perspective it would make sense to have one of those Magical Medical Machines in the factory. Somebody gets hurt, just put them in the machine and get them back on the line within minutes.
Yep - Job perk / bargaining chip

Also, why do they have robots doing service jobs (Parole Officer, Cop, Medic) but not working the line at the factory?
because it's not cruel enough
Old 08-31-13, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Went to see it with somebody else. Liked it more than I thought I would.

Sharlto

Last edited by GatorDeb; 09-01-13 at 01:55 AM.
Old 09-06-13, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Seen this awhile back. I liked it for the most part but the more I think about it the more I don't like it. I think the biggest thing that bother me was the ending. I wanted to know if Elysium could handle that many new people. I wanted to know what life would be like with a criminal running the place. Just seems like things wouldn't end well in the long run.
Old 09-06-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is ironic that in the beginning, it said Earth is overpopulated blah blah blah. At the end, the magical machine is now available to heal everyone. Wouldn't that exacerbate the problem by a factor of infinity?
Old 09-06-13, 01:38 PM

I finally saw it the other day and I really enjoyed it. But I enjoyed it as an action movie. There are some plot contrivances (it's a lucky coincidence that Matt Damon's plan happened to incur at the exact same time as Jodie Foster's coup), but if you look at it as an action movie where they have to break into location X and get to a MacGuffin, this was flipping amazing. Maybe I'm just releived to see a huge effects summer action movie go for an R-rating, but the atmosphere and direction were top.

Also who could ever guess that the dork from District 9 could play such a terrifying badass villain?

Although I generally agree with the political message, I was afraid this movie was going to be too preachy. District 9 somehow made the message work while still being an effective movie IMO. Elysium's message was much flakier, but aside from the setup and the ending it was easy to disregard in lieu of an excellent actioner.

But yeah, some problems. I get that the message is that the writers want universal healthcare in real life and that's fine. But I didn't buy how in the movie world that the magic healthcare devices are not to be found anywhere on Earth.
Old 11-17-13, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

While really heavy handed, I thought this was a really solid flick. I found District 9 to be pretty boring and many compared this negatively to D9, so I went in with pretty low expectations. The ending scene
Spoiler:
with the EMS coming to Earth
was way too on the nose, but the rest of the movie was really entertaining and the visuals were fantastic. There were a few scenes that had me scratching my head as to what Blomkamp was trying to do, but they were few and far apart.
Old 11-17-13, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattflix
Also who could ever guess that the dork from District 9 could play such a terrifying badass villain?
Yeah, actors seem to tend to like villain roles, and Copley was hamming it up like crazy, he was clearly having a blast.