Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

One Sheep to Rule Them All: Fantasy Sheep

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-13, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

... there was a magical land called DVDTalk. People came from over the world to experience its wonders. But soon a dark force emerged and threatened the realm. The only way to defeat this evil was for some brave souls to undertake a quest. But the heroes weren't made of warriors or wizards. They were composed of the gentlest of creatures ... sheep! Can these sheep summon the strength within them to rise to this challenge?

Welcome to Fantasy Sheep!

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:

• The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
  • Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
  • Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
  • Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
  • There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
  • You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
  • Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.
  • Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
  • Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Spoiler:

• Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
    1 Unique is awarded -15
    2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
    3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
    4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
    5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each
  • Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}s) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use them in:
    • In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier. For this game, you may not play more than a single Slam Dunk on a question. If you do, the additional Slam Dunks will not count.
    • In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use a {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing. I will answer any questions you have about Slam Dunks.

• While this post is in the Movie subforum, the questions encompass both movies and television. If the question doesn't specify (movie or tv), feel free to pick an answer from either. Knowledge from books may help in some questions, but is not essential.

What is fantasy? The genre has a very broad definition. From wikipedia:

Fantasy is a genre of fiction that commonly uses magic and other supernatural phenomena as a primary plot element, theme, or setting. Many works within the genre take place in imaginary worlds where magic and magical creatures are common. Fantasy is generally distinguished from the genres of science fiction and horror by the expectation that it steers clear of scientific and macabre themes, respectively, though there is a great deal of overlap between the three, all of which are subgenres of speculative fiction.
    I've intentionally limited the number of reverse questions so that differing interpretations of what fantasy is should not be an issue. For the sheep questions ... well, there are no wrong answers for the sheep questions so you are free to answer what you want You're just hoping the other players are thinking like you!

Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.

I will also correct mistakes you may have made when originally sending me your answers at a cost of 10 points.

Read the game-specific rules (especially related to how slam dunks can be used).

Many movies have remakes and sequels. Please make certain it is clear to me what you intend your answer to be. Also, general answers will not match specific answers (for example, answering an entire series of movies versus a single movie in that series).

I'd like to have between 20 and 30 players, so once we get close to filling I’ll close things off (with special passes available to former Sheepmasters). Give me the weekend for scoring and organization of answers and hopefully we can get this going early next week. My schedule is open so I can post results anytime. Though I got the impression that weekday afternoons are a good time, so that is what I'm planning.

The Questions

1. R: From The Lord of the Rings, name one of the members of the Fellowship of the Ring.
    2. S: What was the best film or television adaptation of Arthurian legend (i.e. King Arthur and associates)?
    3. S: We recently lost Ray Harryhausen, who brought to life many fantastical creatures on the silver screen. What was your favorite Ray Harryhausen creature?
    4. R: From the Harry Potter series, name someone who worked at Hogwarts (either as faculty or general staff).
    5. S: What was the best film or television show based on Greek mythology?
    6. S: What is a fantastical creature/person that some people believe really exists?
    7. R: People love fantasy movies. Reflecting this is the presence of many of them in imdb’s top 250 of all-time. Name one of the non-animated ones (to qualify, it must have “fantasy” listed as one of the genres on the movie's imdb page at the time these questions are posted).
    8. S: Fairy tales have been the source of many fantasy movies. What is your favorite movie based on a fairy tale?
    9. R: Hayao Miyazaki has changed how many think of animated features with his works of fantasy. Name a feature (not a short or series episode) directed by him.
    10. S: While fantasy stories are often associated with far-away places and/or times, many are rooted in the “real” world. Name one.
    11. S: What is your favorite comedy with fantasy elements?
    12. S: Game of Thrones is considered by some to be one of the best television fantasy series of all-time. Not counting that series, what do you think is the greatest television fantasy series of all-time?
    13. S: When you think of the fantasy genre, which actor (or actress) comes first to mind?
    14. S: What is the best fantasy movie that was originally made in a language other than English?
    15. S: Name a fantasy movie based on Middle Eastern folklore.
    16. R: Name one of the Great (family) Houses of Westeros (from Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire).
    17. S: You are commissioning a quest to save the world and you can call on the services of any fantasy hero to get the job done. Who do you pick?
    18. S: You can’t have a good fantasy hero without a strong villain to oppose them. Who/what is the best fantasy villain?
    19. S: Heroes are often driven forward to save a beautiful woman. Which fantasy female character would be most worth the risk of life and limb for you to save?
    20. S: What is your favorite fantasy movie of all-time?
    21. S: Name a wizard … any wizard.

Last edited by brainee; 07-29-13 at 07:12 PM.
    Old 07-24-13, 11:27 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
    Re: One Sheep to Rule Them All: Fantasy Sheep

Sent. All over the place with this one
    Old 07-25-13, 03:03 AM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts

Me too.
    Old 07-25-13, 05:31 AM
    DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very, very bad answers sent.
    Old 07-25-13, 05:48 AM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I like fantasy movies from the pre-CGI era, but I can't answer a single question where LOTR, Harry Potter and "Game of Thrones" are involved. I'll pass.
    Old 07-25-13, 06:04 AM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My horrible answers are in.
    Old 07-25-13, 09:16 AM
    DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, no limits on the number of slam dunks per question... correct?
    Old 07-25-13, 09:17 AM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Palaver
    So, no limits on the number of slam dunks per question... correct?
    It says one per question.
    Old 07-25-13, 09:23 AM

Ok. I see it know. It was only bolded and underlined.

Thanks
    Old 07-25-13, 09:31 AM
    DVD Talk Gold Edition

the most worstest answers sent.
    Old 07-25-13, 09:49 AM

Some good answers and some bad answers sent.
    Old 07-25-13, 10:13 AM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Let's see how far away from the bottom I get to be this time.
    Old 07-25-13, 10:16 AM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Answers sent. I foresee answers all over the place too.
    Old 07-25-13, 12:25 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

answers sent in. i'm sure to win this one! (yeah, right)
    Old 07-25-13, 12:41 PM
    DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Very tough questions. Not so much because it was hard to come up with an answer, but because I couldn't decide on what might be sheepy.
    Old 07-25-13, 12:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I really don't get this subgenre of 'gaming' - it makes my head hurt.
    Old 07-25-13, 01:24 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Up to 14 entries so far!

Originally Posted by wishbone
    I foresee answers all over the place too.
    For some of them ... probably That's the funny thing with writing sheep questions. Sometimes a really clear handful of answers are in your head. Then you see the responses and notice few people were thinking along the lines that you were And sometimes, I'm just curious about what responses people will have to a question.
    Old 07-25-13, 02:32 PM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Answers sent
    Old 07-25-13, 03:03 PM
    DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Y'know that feeling when you can see the DVD cover but can't come up with the title?

Yeah...
    Old 07-25-13, 03:04 PM

Id like to get in on this one. I'll send answers later tonight, I'm driving now
    Old 07-25-13, 03:15 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Former sheep master - will have answers in tonight at the latest. Gotta get back in the game!
    Old 07-25-13, 03:33 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
    Y'know that feeling when you can see the DVD cover but can't come up with the title?

Yeah...
    I know what movie you're talking about! It's with that guy ... and that girl ... and they do that thing. Yeah, I know it well

I love how everyone is so humble when submitting their answers. Where's someone with the confidence to say "My answers are awesome! I'm going to kick everyone's asses!"? Someone has to win this.
    Old 07-25-13, 05:34 PM
    DVD Talk Gold Edition

It took me an hour to decide on an answer for one of the questions.
    Old 07-25-13, 06:02 PM
    DVD Talk Gold Edition

fired off a series of random titles!
    Old 07-25-13, 07:08 PM
    DVD Talk Gold Edition

Reverse sheep questions are usually my favorite, but I agree, the fantasy vs. non debate would be huge, although, I would think, hilarious...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.