Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

One Sheep to Rule Them All: Fantasy Sheep

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

One Sheep to Rule Them All: Fantasy Sheep

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-13, 10:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: One Sheep to Rule Them All: Fantasy Sheep

Originally Posted by story
I am a little confused about the question which specifically mentions the IMDB Top 250. Is that the IMDB Top 250 as of today? Yesterday? Does it change a lot? Also, I thought we weren't supposed to look answers up so I took a guess as to what's probably on the Top 250. Are you expressly asking people to look at that list?
that confused me too... but again, everything confuses me ...
Old 07-27-13, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

We're not supposed to refer to IMDb to precheck our answers. We're supposed to guess what we think is on the list, then the list will be the final arbiter of the answers. For Reverses, you need some kind of reference to settle what is a right and wrong answer.
Old 07-27-13, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I am a little confused about the question which specifically mentions the IMDB Top 250. Is that the IMDB Top 250 as of today? Yesterday? Does it change a lot? Also, I thought we weren't supposed to look answers up so I took a guess as to what's probably on the Top 250. Are you expressly asking people to look at that list?
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
We're not supposed to look at the list, but the answer has to appear on the list in order to be correct. So you have to go from memory and/or feeling that it must be on the list.

The list doesn't change that much on a day to day basis, but it does change, especially when a new movie comes out that is beloved by the internet. I don't know if brainee cached the list before he posted the answers, or if he just planned on checking it during scoring. If it's the latter, go vote as many 10's for your movie as you can!

The only movies that would be in any real jeopardy of falling off the list in between the posting of the questions and the scoring would be those at the very bottom of the list.
You're NOT supposed to look at the list! (And I don't think anyone did that looking at the answers). The question said the movie had to be in the list at the time the questions were posted (a couple of days ago). I went through them and checked what all the correct answers were. So posting all 10's to your choice will not help [Plus, I'm pretty sure imdb has some kind of special weighting formula for the Top 250 that prevents that anyway]

In my question bank, it was a toss-up for me between this one and a reverse asking you to name a fantasy movie nominated for the Best Picture Oscar. It seems ... I chose ... poorly
Old 07-27-13, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
We're not supposed to refer to IMDb to precheck our answers. We're supposed to guess what we think is on the list, then the list will be the final arbiter of the answers. For Reverses, you need some kind of reference to settle what is a right and wrong answer.
And the reference is the list and the presence of "fantasy" as a listed genre on the main imdb page for the movie.
Old 07-27-13, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brainee
It seems ... I chose ... poorly
CHALLENGE: You're quoting a movie that is not classified as fantasy on IMDb.
Old 07-27-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Entries are now closed to everyone and revisions are no longer accepted (unless I pm you for clarification on something).
Old 07-28-13, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Scoring and prepping moving along (I'm about half-way done right now). On target to start the results posting tomorrow afternoon (~ 2pm EST).

I still need Kal-El to respond to a pm about a question that impacts the scoring.
Old 07-28-13, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool! Thanks for the hard work brainee
Old 07-28-13, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry been out of the house for most of the day. Just responded to it. Can't wait to see the horrible results!
Old 07-29-13, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just curious ... is there any precedent for slightly changing the order of the questions for the results? And is there any reason why anyone would have a problem with it?

As it turns out, question 20 would be a much better finisher than question 21. Tons of slams in play, some players hitting it big and some blowing it big. In contrast, question 21 was a bit spread out, and didn't change the standings too much (at least at the top).
Old 07-29-13, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just curious ... is there any precedent for slightly changing the order of the questions for the results? And is there any reason why anyone would have a problem with it?

As it turns out, question 20 would be a much better finisher than question 21. Tons of slams in play, some players hitting it big and some blowing it big. In contrast, question 21 was a bit spread out, and didn't change the standings too much (at least at the top).
There is no precedent. You'd be the Roe v. Wade of sheepmasters. Proceed at your own risk.

I'm all for upping the drama myself. Let the naysayers nay.

And I thought question 20 was an easy slam dunk. I now realize that...
Old 07-29-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't see any problem with changing the order if it makes for a more interesting game.
Old 07-29-13, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Yes, that's the question ... a non-animated fantasy movie ranked in imdb's top 250. Just naming any live-action fantasy movie would be a really crappy reverse question
I read the question the same way as Obi-Wan Jabroni. Oh well, I have an incorrect crappy movie answer. Crom!
Old 07-29-13, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

My first reaction is that we the players have no idea how the scoring will go, so there will always be drama inherent to the process. If anything, now knowing how some questions generally play out (even if we don't know specifics) ahead of time may lessens some of the drama. I guess the cat's out of the bag now, so it doesn't matter either way.
Old 07-29-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I briefly considered changing the order of some of the questions in my game when I noticed that chrisih8u led for almost the entire game, but then I realized what rocket said, that the players don't know how it's going to play out, and if the game is close enough, you can build drama even if you know that there really isn't a dramatic outcome. I guess I don't know how far apart people are in those last two questions, but the fact that you've already told us what you've told us does seem to give away a little too much,
Old 07-29-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't see an issue with changing the order as the order really wouldn't have changed how we answered the questions.

On vacation but hope to follow the results somewhat.
Old 07-29-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Old 07-29-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-29-13, 01:27 PM

Old 07-29-13, 01:32 PM

Old 07-29-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A minor problem IMHO with changing the order of the questions is that if you're not around to follow it "live" the whole time, it could make it a bit confusing to go back and see how you did on the questions you weren't there to see.

For instance, you might watch how the the first 5 play out, then you have to stop following it for a while. If the questions are in order and you return to DVD Talk to see they're on question 10, you know you just have to go back a few pages to see questions 6-9. With the questions out of order, it would be more difficult to find your missed questions without just reading the whole thing straight through.
Old 07-29-13, 01:34 PM

I think you should tell us the even ones and then the odd ones. Then the even ones again just to keep us on our toes.
Old 07-29-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Old 07-29-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Da sheep! Da sheep! Da sheep boss!

AaronHernandez
bunkaroo
Cabman Gray
Cellar Door
cnicholls44
Crocker Jarmen
dalbowski
DaveNinja
davidh777
devilshalo
dhmac
Drexl
Fist of Doom
Giles
hasslein
ivelostr2
Kal-El
maxfisher
mortalplague
Mountain Biker
mrcellophane
Obi-Wan Jabroni
Palaver
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
rocket1312
Rockmjd23
ruddiger_718
sleepyhead55
story
T-bone22
the big train
wishbone
Old 07-29-13, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mirror mirror, on the wall. Who's the greatest sheep of all?

"That I cannot tell you. But it is to be determined in the hours ahead. For their quest, the sheep shall undergo 21 trials testing their wits and courage. Many will try but only one will ultimately succeed. Look ... it starts now!"

Pre-game standings:

AaronHernandez 0
bunkaroo 0
Cabman Gray 0
Cellar Door 0
cnicholls44 0
Crocker Jarmen 0
dalbowski 0
DaveNinja 0
davidh777 0
dhmac 0
Drexl 0
Fist of Doom 0
Giles 0
hasslein 0
ivelostr2 0
Kal-El 0
maxfisher 0
mortalplague 0
Mountain Biker 0
mrcellophane 0
Obi-Wan Jabroni 0
Palaver 0
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man 0
rocket1312 0
Rockmjd23 0
ruddiger_718 0
sleepyhead55 0
story 0
T-bone22 0
wishbone 0
devilshalo 10
the big train 20

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.