Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

One Sheep to Rule Them All: Fantasy Sheep

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

One Sheep to Rule Them All: Fantasy Sheep

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-13, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts
Re: One Sheep to Rule Them All: Fantasy Sheep

Originally Posted by hasslein
Reverse sheep questions are usually my favorite, but I agree, the fantasy vs. non debate would be huge, although, I would think, hilarious...
You'd just need to make a site like imdb the arbiter. If a film is classified as fantasy there, then it counts. If not, then no. Easy.
Old 07-25-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
I love how everyone is so humble when submitting their answers. Where's someone with the confidence to say "My answers are awesome! I'm going to kick everyone's asses!"? Someone has to win this.
Rockmjd23 is playing. We non-Googlers mere mortals don't stand a chance.
Old 07-25-13, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I basically answered these Family Feud bonus round style, so if you can't beat me this time you need to step up your game.
Old 07-25-13, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I like fantasy movies from the pre-CGI era, but I can't answer a single question where LOTR, Harry Potter and "Game of Thrones" are involved. I'll pass.
You really never saw any of the LotR or Harry Potter movies?

Originally Posted by rocket1312
You'd just need to make a site like imdb the arbiter. If a film is classified as fantasy there, then it counts. If not, then no. Easy.
Well, that's how I'm doing it for the one reverse question. And some of you won't be pleased over imdb's at times random definition of fantasy.

Personally, I like regular sheep questions more (reverses seem to be more luck, and they're more easily exploited by googlers).

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I basically answered these Family Feud bonus round style, so if you can't beat me this time you need to step up your game.
See ... he's going to beat you with one arm tied behind his back!

We're up to 17, with 2 more saying they'll send me something soon. I prefer closer to 30 than 20, so there's still time to get in. Everyone sounds doubtful of their answers, so for you on-the-fencers this could be your chance to get a treasured sheep championship!
Old 07-25-13, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im in
Old 07-25-13, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

This is my first attempt so I'm just hoping I followed proper protocol!
Old 07-26-13, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
This is my first attempt so I'm just hoping I followed proper protocol!
Check your messages ... I sent you a few questions/comments
Old 07-26-13, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

You really never saw any of the LotR or Harry Potter movies?
I have. I just don't have enough of a grasp about the characters or their worlds to answer the relevant questions in this game.
Old 07-26-13, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Last-place answers submitted, if there's still room.

#s 1 and 9 are the kind of Reverses I like--limited number of correct answers, little debate about what is correct, and enough zeitgeist for people at least familiar with the concepts to figure out an answer. Then the geeks who know every possible answer are left to pure luck, with often hilarious results.

Unfortunately I got hung up on a certain theme with some of my answers, which will probably come back to bite me if no one else was thinking the same way.
Old 07-26-13, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Answers sent.
Old 07-26-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Up to 24 players now. Certainly a reasonable number to play with as is. Though I'm not going to start scoring until tomorrow or Sunday, so there's still room for more if you want to play. I'll hold a spot for you if you post.

I'm on the fence about submitting an entry myself. I wouldn't be playing to win though. Answering the reverse questions wouldn't be fair since I researched the topics while coming up with questions. And I'd answer truthfully for the sheep questions ... which for the most part will be horrible answers in this game

Last edited by brainee; 07-26-13 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-26-13, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last minute answers sent
Old 07-26-13, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Answering the reverse questions wouldn't be unfair since I researched the topics while coming up with questions.

As far as playing my own games, I would lean against it but usually end up submitting just to fill out the game. I didn't work too hard at it, but tried to at least give legitimate answers in order to add to the sheep counts.
Old 07-26-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777

As far as playing my own games, I would lean against it but usually end up submitting just to fill out the game. I didn't work too hard at it, but tried to at least give legitimate answers in order to add to the sheep counts.

Stupid typo Answering reverse questions wouldn't be fair. Not saying that past sheepmasters were being unfair answering their own reverse questions legitimately. But in my case, I know I already double-checked the correct answers.

And yeah ... that's what I'd do for the sheep questions. Give legitimate answers - my initial thought when coming up with the question (or an honest answer). Giving a little love to deserving answers. There's no way I'd win (or even compete). I probably wouldn't even play slams (so I'd come in last by default).

Our count is getting pretty good (up to 26 now!) so it would be just for having some fun, if I did it at all.
Old 07-26-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Crappy answers sent in.
Old 07-26-13, 08:12 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Sent. In it to lose it!
Old 07-26-13, 08:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

okay, sent my answers ... [fingers crossed]
Old 07-26-13, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Do answers to question 7 actually have to be in the top 250? To me that reads as an aside, and the answer just has to be a non animated fantasy movie.
Old 07-26-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Do answers to question 7 actually have to be in the top 250? To me that reads as an aside, and the answer just has to be a non animated fantasy movie.
Yes, that's the question ... a non-animated fantasy movie ranked in imdb's top 250. Just naming any live-action fantasy movie would be a really crappy reverse question If you're curious, I added the "non-animated" part because the top 250 is absolutely loaded with classic Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, Studio Ghibli ... it would've made the question too easy IMO. As it is, there are about 15 "correct" answers ... which is a nice number for a reverse question. And everyone should be positive of at least 4 or 5 of them (being both fantasy and top 250). The trick is whether you go with a safe choice or take a chance on the wrong answer. Which is what these questions are all about!

If anyone was confused by that, I'll let you make a "free" (no 10 point penalty) revision on that question. But you need to do it pretty soon, because I start scoring over the weekend (probably tomorrow afternoon).

Looking at the answers I've received for that question, though, I got the impression you all understood what I was asking for. That is, all the responses are movies held in high regard by fans (though whether it's high enough to make top 250 and/or listed as fantasy remains to be seen).

Last edited by brainee; 07-26-13 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-26-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

By the way, we're over 30 now so I'm closing entries. I just got a flurry of entries all at once just now There's certainly no need for me to play as well. I'll still let former sheepmasters in (which includes you, Obi Wan).

I'll make a post when things are completely closed (and I start scoring). So then it will ok to discuss any answers if you want. That will be tomorrow afternoon probably (unless something comes up for me and I put it off until Sunday).

I've tried to look for any problems when you've submitted things (like unclear answers or mistaken slam play) but I may have missed some. So keep an eye open on your message box. If you got confused by my wording of #7 you can have a free revision. If you see any other potential problems, it's best to get it clear before scoring ... so don't be shy about pointing things out!

Last edited by brainee; 07-26-13 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-26-13, 09:50 PM

I figured that's what you were going for, but I tend to interpret questions very literally, so I wasn't sure. Wasn't trying to be sneaky or anything (and yes, I suppose the other interpetation makes a really crappy reverse). Answers will be in shortly
Old 07-26-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I figured that's what you were going for, but I tend to interpret questions very literally, so I wasn't sure. Wasn't trying to be sneaky or anything (and yes, I suppose the other interpetation makes a really crappy reverse). Answers will be in shortly
No ... I appreciate these things being pointed out to me. I don't want my game to get bogged down by nitpicking during the results reveal.

Anyone remember that one game where the sheepmaster asked a question like "Name a movie where Paul Reubens does not play Pee Wee Herman". The obvious intent was that the SM wanted people to name movies with Paul Reubens where he plays someone other than Pee Wee Herman. But then someone argued that "Jaws" is a correct answer ... since Paul Reubens does not play Pee Wee Herman in "Jaws". Also making almost every movie ever made a correct answer too.

So ... just a heads-up: something like "Troll 2" will be a wrong answer for #7!
Old 07-26-13, 10:08 PM

Answers submitted.
Old 07-26-13, 10:10 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I am a little confused about the question which specifically mentions the IMDB Top 250. Is that the IMDB Top 250 as of today? Yesterday? Does it change a lot? Also, I thought we weren't supposed to look answers up so I took a guess as to what's probably on the Top 250. Are you expressly asking people to look at that list?
Old 07-26-13, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by story
I am a little confused about the question which specifically mentions the IMDB Top 250. Is that the IMDB Top 250 as of today? Yesterday? Does it change a lot? Also, I thought we weren't supposed to look answers up so I took a guess as to what's probably on the Top 250. Are you expressly asking people to look at that list?
We're not supposed to look at the list, but the answer has to appear on the list in order to be correct. So you have to go from memory and/or feeling that it must be on the list.

The list doesn't change that much on a day to day basis, but it does change, especially when a new movie comes out that is beloved by the internet. I don't know if brainee cached the list before he posted the answers, or if he just planned on checking it during scoring. If it's the latter, go vote as many 10's for your movie as you can!

The only movies that would be in any real jeopardy of falling off the list in between the posting of the questions and the scoring would be those at the very bottom of the list.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.