Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Into The Woods (2014, Marshall) S: Streep, Depp, Blunt, Pine, Kendrick, Ullman

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Into The Woods (2014, Marshall) S: Streep, Depp, Blunt, Pine, Kendrick, Ullman

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Into The Woods (2014, Marshall) S: Streep, Depp, Blunt, Pine, Kendrick, Ullman

I predict this will do about as much as MALEFICENT did...and probably be equally as un-entertaining.
Old 10-22-14, 05:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Into The Woods (2014, Marshall) S: Streep, Depp, Blunt, Pine, Kendrick, Ullman

supposedly this is what's been altered for this film version:

The songs from the original stage musical cut frm the film adaptation are: "Cinderella At the Grave", "I Guess This is Goodbye", "Maybe They're Magic", "Our Little World", "First Midnight", "Second Midnight", "Act I Finale: Ever After", "Act II Prologue: So Happy" and "No More". Stephen Sondheim also wrote two original songs specially for the film: "Rainbows", which is a duet for Baker and his Wife and another one for the Witch, which neither made into the final film.

there seems to be some conflicting news that 'Rainbows' is still edited in, but could be nixed at the last minute.
Old 10-22-14, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I predict this will do about as much as MALEFICENT did...and probably be equally as un-entertaining.
I can't see it being nearly as big as Maleficent was.
Old 10-23-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Featurette:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EFRm_rZIEXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-28-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
supposedly this is what's been altered for this film version:

The songs from the original stage musical cut frm the film adaptation are: "Cinderella At the Grave", "I Guess This is Goodbye", "Maybe They're Magic", "Our Little World", "First Midnight", "Second Midnight", "Act I Finale: Ever After", "Act II Prologue: So Happy" and "No More". Stephen Sondheim also wrote two original songs specially for the film: "Rainbows", which is a duet for Baker and his Wife and another one for the Witch, which neither made into the final film.

there seems to be some conflicting news that 'Rainbows' is still edited in, but could be nixed at the last minute.
It'd be nice to hear some new Sondheim material.

Stage show spoilers:

Spoiler:
A number of those songs are pretty minor, and heck, I don't even know what the Magic thing is even though I've seen the show half a dozen times. And I can see cutting the closing of Act I and the opening of Act II if they're making it into one arc (though that would be a pretty significant change) a la West Side Story. "No More" is a major cut, though. I guess tonally it's somewhat similar to the show's "hit," but I wonder if that implies a change or reduction in that particular relationship. Or maybe they just whacked it for time.
Old 11-06-14, 04:57 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rf64KHMANlo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-06-14, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

It still amazes me how much trailers for musicals try to hide the fact that they are musicals.
Old 12-08-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw this tonight at the premiere. Had no idea it was a musical.

I have not liked any of the recent fairy tale movies (Snow White, Alice in Wonderland) but this was pretty good. It should do very well.
Old 12-08-14, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't think “Rainbows” was in it but I was not watching out for it. The Baker duet was about being “better together” which I assume is in the original work (“It Takes Two”).
Old 12-09-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

My teenager went to an advance screening and said it was really good. She's seen the show a couple times on stage, most recently last summer. I've seen six different productions.
Old 12-09-14, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So as a barometer of taste in quality, how right is your teenager with films?
Old 12-09-14, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
So as a barometer of taste in quality, how right is your teenager with films?
Ha, what a question. She definitely has a preference for romantic comedies, and she's a fan of Anna Kendrick so that's a factor. But she does watch a ton of movies, and I think I've given her a good appreciation for musicals. Her recommendation has me optimistic rather than rolling my eyes.
Old 12-09-14, 05:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
My teenager went to an advance screening and said it was really good. She's seen the show a couple times on stage, most recently last summer. I've seen six different productions.
did she mention any retinkering plot wise or was it it pretty faithful minus the obvious song deletions. How did it work with the film version not to have 'the narrator'?
Old 12-10-14, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

did she mention any retinkering plot wise or was it it pretty faithful minus the obvious song deletions. How did it work with the film version not to have 'the narrator'?
The obvious changes she mentioned were the removal of the first-half/second-half elements and the narrator. I said the narrator was kind of a stage-y element and she agreed, so I guess it was fine.
Old 12-10-14, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The film has narration.
Old 12-10-14, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In that case, his teenager is a liar!
Old 12-10-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There was no character of a narrator, but there was narration.
Old 12-12-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
In that case, his teenager is a liar!
Originally Posted by The Bus
There was no character of a narrator, but there was narration.
My kid is vindicated!
Old 12-25-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bump for opening day. Going this afternoon with the parents. Doing decent enough top register fresh on rottentomatoes. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/into_the_woods_2014/
Old 12-25-14, 02:29 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Saw this today. First half is entertaining. Second half lost me a bit. What a fucked up ending.
Old 12-25-14, 03:48 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

My wife and I just got back from seeing it... and despite the changes, I think it worked really well and kept a pretty good pace.

Even though Disney tinkered with the story and songs a bit, I thought that it was a faithful adaptation of it and it ended (for the main characters) no differently than the stage version.

Yes, I would rather have had...

Spoiler:
  • Rapunzel die
  • Prince Charming knock-up the Baker's Wife (not just simply have a "make out session")
  • The Princes sing their reprise of Agony about pining for their new "loves" (Snow White and Sleeping Beauty)

... but for a two-hour Disney-fied version, it's a great movie. (4.5 out of 5 stars)

Last edited by Goldberg74; 12-25-14 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-25-14, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it. Entertaining, but the third act was a bit out of left field, but I haven't seen the original play.
Old 12-26-14, 06:12 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We really liked the original production (saw on PBS American Masterpieces) & own the DVD but haven't revisited it. Based upon my admittedly faulty memory, I can heartily recommend it.

One thing that we miss about some of these productions is the lack of audience reaction. I suppose the same thing could be said for any musical/play (Sound of Music, Seven Brides, etc.), but there just seems to be a lot of dead air immediately after the finish of a a rousing song (when you can almost "hear" the pregnant pause). Maybe even more so the lack of laughter, although maybe that's supplied by the theater audience as opposed to watching by yourself or with a friend/spouse. (We supply our own laughter, but it's not the same as hearing an entire audience...but that was true also when we went to midnight showings of Bruce Lee films and heard enthusiastic yells & even some people trying to re-enact Lee's moves in their seats or in the aisles).

Do movie audiences react to musicals the same way as stage play audiences? I know the plays allow room for audience reaction (and maybe for actors to catch their breath), but it just seems weird at times when the movie characters finish a big song & immediately launch into dialogue. Or maybe it depends upon the direction.

We'll see the Disney version but probably will wait for it to show up on cable.
Old 12-27-14, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I don't know anything about the original play. But is there only/mostly singing throughout? I'm not a huge fan of musicals. But there has to be some dialogue. I couldn't get through 15 minutes of both "Evita" and "Les Mis". Thanks!
Old 12-28-14, 02:07 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I don't know anything about the original play. But is there only/mostly singing throughout? I'm not a huge fan of musicals. But there has to be some dialogue. I couldn't get through 15 minutes of both "Evita" and "Les Mis". Thanks!
I just saw it today with my sister. There's a lot of songs/singing, but there's plenty of dialogue. The songs are quite good and often funny, and not hard to follow (I've never seen the original stage musical). I'm guessing a bit was cut from the stage show since it's barely 2 hours in length. We quite enjoyed it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.