Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Creed - Rocky spinoff (2015, D: Coogler) S: Sylvester Stallone, Michael B. Jordan

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Creed - Rocky spinoff (2015, D: Coogler) S: Sylvester Stallone, Michael B. Jordan

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-13, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
re: Creed - Rocky spinoff - S: Michael B. Jordan

I look forward to the inevitable training montage.
Old 07-24-13, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
With music by:

Lil Wayne, Eminem, Drake, Jay-z, Nas and many others! Pre-order the soundtrack today!
Old 07-24-13, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I just hope this doesn't turn out like the last time Rocky became a trainer.
Old 07-24-13, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
I don't clearly recall either, but I seem to vaguely recall Apollo saying something in Rocky 2 after the media declared his first fight with Rocky to have been fixed that his son was being picked on at school because of it. Also wasn't there a swimming pool scene in one of the movies with Apollo and his son or did I just imagine that?
There was a pool scene in Rocky 4 with Creed and his dog. But we never got to see any of his kids to my recollection.

Honestly I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I don't really see how much interest there would be in this, especially since it's been over 20 years since Apollo was in a Rocky movie. On the other hand, bring it on I'll be in the theater. We'll see if Weather's lets them use his image this time, or if Sly's still pissed over last time and they don't even bother.
Old 07-24-13, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
I hope it ends just like the Rocky III montage:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s28vNyjOlbc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-24-13, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Cautiously optimistic... the most important thing is that the film is great, which is sounds like this duo can do. But I don't find the set-up very dramatic. I understand they've already used the "fighting to pay the bills" storyline... but that's a tried and true formula that works. There's got to be something on the line imo.

It'd be nice if they keep the Philly setting, maybe Rocky runs Mickey's old gym, etc.
Old 07-24-13, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
We'll see if Weather's lets them use his image this time, or if Sly's still pissed over last time and they don't even bother.
So what's the story on that? I though Sly and Weathers were friends?

And as far as this movie premise goes, I will be there with gloves on!
Old 07-24-13, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Stallone tried to get Weathers to lend his appearance for flashbacks in Rocky Balboa. Weathers demanded to be in the movie as a supporting character despite his character already being dead. After the incident, Stallone referred to Weathers as "Apollo Greed".
Old 07-24-13, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

For the final film in the Rocky series, Rocky Balboa, Sylvester Stallone asked Weathers, Mr. T, and Dolph Lundgren for permission to use footage from their appearances in the earlier Rocky movies. Mr. T and Dolph Lundgren acquiesced, but Weathers wanted an actual part in the movie, even though his character died in Rocky IV. Stallone refused and Weathers decided not to allow Stallone to use his image for Rocky flashbacks from the previous movies. They instead used footage of a fighter who looks similar to Weathers

From wiki
Old 07-24-13, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

And as far as this movie premise goes, I will be there with gloves on!
When Stallone was filming Rocky Balboa he had to ask Carl, Dolph, and Mr. T to use archive footage of them in the movie. Dolph and Mr. T both agreed without hesitation, but when he asked Carl, Weathers said that he either wanted a role in the movie, or more money then the minimum he would have gotten for it.
Old 07-24-13, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

When Stallone was filming Rocky Balboa he had to ask Carl, Dolph, and Mr. T to use archive footage of them in the movie. Dolph and Mr. T both agreed without hesitation, but when he asked Carl, Weathers said that he either wanted a role in the movie, or more money then the minimum he would have gotten for it.
He should have taken Carl to Burger King.
Old 07-24-13, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Is that a SAG rule? Needing to ask the actor's permission to use their likeness.

I thought that once they act in the movie or TV show, the footage becomes property of the studio and they can do whatever they want with it. I know when a TV show or movie is pitched to a studio, the writer no longer owns the property once the studio buys it.
Old 07-24-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

It's a rule that was implemented after BTTF. Crispin Glover sued over the intended use of his likeness in BTTF II. So for example they probably had to get permission to use Natalie Portman's likeness in The Avengers even if it was just a picture of her. Hell I think people even get paid for appearing on the "Previously on" segments of a show, but I'm not sure.
Old 07-24-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it has potential. The Rocky-as-trainer bit was done before, but now it can be done right.
Old 07-25-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

There was a pool scene in Rocky 4 with Creed and his dog. But we never got to see any of his kids to my recollection.

Apollo has 2 kids - a son and a daughter.

In ROCKY II, you see them racing out the door, and the mother, Mary Anne Creed, warns them to slow down.

It's the scene where Apollo's reading hate mail and his wife asks: "Why can't you ignore it?!"

Apollo responds: "Are you serious?" And he angrily TOSSES the mail over the balcony.
Old 07-25-13, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
He should have taken Carl to Burger King.

Old 07-25-13, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i read the title to this thread. I though this was going to be a presequel. The rise of Apollo Creed from his humble beginnings. That would be awsome. But Stallone wouldn't be in it.
Old 07-26-13, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
It's a rule that was implemented after BTTF. Crispin Glover sued over the intended use of his likeness in BTTF II. So for example they probably had to get permission to use Natalie Portman's likeness in The Avengers even if it was just a picture of her. Hell I think people even get paid for appearing on the "Previously on" segments of a show, but I'm not sure.
In the Alien 3 documentary Michael Biehn indicated that he got paid more for them using his picture in Alien 3 than he did for playing Hicks in Aliens.

If they're really making this, then I hope Tony Burton (Duke) will be healthy enough to be in it. He was one of the best parts of Rocky Balboa.
Old 07-26-13, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A bad franchise trying to recapture the magic it never had...and a blatant cash grab at that.

People actually want to see this crap?

If so, please don't bitch about any "unnecessary remakes", because this is barrel scraping at it's very worst.

For the record Alvidson's Rocky is a fantastic movie.
Old 07-26-13, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I love the Rocky movies, but no thanks!
Old 07-26-13, 06:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
A bad franchise trying to recapture the magic it never had...and a blatant cash grab at that.
Did you seriously just call Rocky a bad franchise? Seriously? Is there ANYTHING internet whiners don't bitch about, ANYTHING at all?

Rocky is far from a bad franchise. Rocky 3 and 4 may not have been great movies, but they were a heck of a lot of fun and have a lot of re-playability. Rocky 5 is really the only bad movie in the franchise. How many other movie franchises can claim 5 out of 6 good movies? Most franchises fall apart at the third movie.
Old 07-26-13, 08:03 AM

Rocky Balboa was actually pretty good and closer to the earlier movies before they became silly. But it was weird because it was too far removed from those movies. So through the 80's we get a new Rocky movie ever couple years until it's completely beaten. Then after 16 YEARS we can another sequel that wants to return to its roots, minus the major character that is Adrian. Now a further 7 years later they're talking about another sequel that might segue into another series.

Just in general I think it's awkward when a series seemingly ends, then there's another sequel years later that's too far removed from the original series. Stallone also made that Rambo movie around the same time, even though the original trilogy was all made together in the 80's.

It's like you have a full series, then you have this other later movie.
Old 07-26-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

True and don't forget about Rocky the musical.

People actually want to see this crap?
I wouldn't bother watching this but to each their own.

If so, please don't bitch about any "unnecessary remakes", because this is barrel scraping at it's very worst.
Next up Ivan Drago's grandkid living under the Putin regime.

For the record Alvidson's Rocky is a fantastic movie.
Yes it is.
Old 07-26-13, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I hope the big fight is against Drago's grandson and Creed kills him.
Old 07-26-13, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mattflix
Rocky Balboa was actually pretty good and closer to the earlier movies before they became silly. But it was weird because it was too far removed from those movies. So through the 80's we get a new Rocky movie ever couple years until it's completely beaten. Then after 16 YEARS we can another sequel that wants to return to its roots, minus the major character that is Adrian. Now a further 7 years later they're talking about another sequel that might segue into another series.

Just in general I think it's awkward when a series seemingly ends, then there's another sequel years later that's too far removed from the original series. Stallone also made that Rambo movie around the same time, even though the original trilogy was all made together in the 80's.

It's like you have a full series, then you have this other later movie.
You mean like Indiana Jones?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.