Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Creed - Rocky spinoff (2015, D: Coogler) S: Sylvester Stallone, Michael B. Jordan

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Creed - Rocky spinoff (2015, D: Coogler) S: Sylvester Stallone, Michael B. Jordan

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-14, 12:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Creed - Rocky spinoff - S: Michael B. Jordan

This is developing as fast as Godzilla 2.
Old 08-15-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Now if they did a film about Clubber Lang's grandson, I'd be all over that.
Old 11-11-14, 08:46 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Champion boxer Andre Ward and British champion boxer Tony Bellew are in negotiations to lace up their gloves for Creed, MGM’s Rocky spinoff that focuses on the grandson of Apollo Creed.
Ryan Coogler, who directed Fruitvale Station, is directing the pugilistic picture, which sees Michael B. Jordan playing the grandson who is being mentored by Rocky Balboa. Sylvester Stallone is returning as Rocky.

Bellew will be the main opponent for Creed, a fighter called “Pretty Ricky Porter.”

The movie is looking at a January start and is due to shoot in Las Vegas and Philadelphia.

Ward is a current World Boxing Association champion in the super-middleweight division. He was one of boxing’s rising stars, although recently he was making more of a name for himself in the courtroom squaring off with his former promoter Dan Goossen, who passed in late September.

Bellew is a former three-time heavyweight champion in the Amateur Boxing Association of England league as well as a former light heavyweight champion in the Commonwealth league. He next fights Nathan Cleverly in a rematch Nov. 22.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-bellew-748018
Old 11-11-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Creed - Rocky spinoff (D: Ryan Coogler) S: Sylvester Stallone, Michael B. Jordan

Michael B. Jordan has always turned in solid dramatic performances: Wallace on The Wire, Vince Howard on Friday Night Lights, Alex on Parenthood, and Oscar Grant in Fruitvale Station. I'm not really optimistic about his portrayal of Johnny Storm in the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot, but I don't think he'll be to blame for that disaster. This doesn't sound like a movie that needed to be made, but it sounds like it has a lot of promise with Stallone and Jordan involved.
Old 11-11-14, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Creed - Rocky spinoff (D: Ryan Coogler) S: Sylvester Stallone, Michael B. Jordan

I don't know why everyone's down on this idea...pretty much all of the Rocky movies have been entertaining. Yeah, Rocky V wasn't great, but it was far from awful, and Rocky Balboa was fantastic.

I'll take CREED any day over someone else trying to reboot ROCKY. I love the idea of rebooting a franchise by making it a continuation instead of ignoring what came before. This is one of the few trends in Hollywood lately (Dallas, Star Wars, Twin Peaks, Evil Dead, etc.) that I get excited about.
Old 11-11-14, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

No Carl Weathers, no sale!
Old 11-11-14, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Michael B. Jordan has always turned in solid dramatic performances: Wallace on The Wire, Vince Howard on Friday Night Lights, Alex on Parenthood, and Oscar Grant in Fruitvale Station. I'm not really optimistic about his portrayal of Johnny Storm in the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot, but I don't think he'll be to blame for that disaster. This doesn't sound like a movie that needed to be made, but it sounds like it has a lot of promise with Stallone and Jordan involved.
Perfectly said.

I think if Creed is produced like an Indie film, which the first Rocky essentially was, it could turn out good. I think having Stallone involved is a positive sign.
Old 12-17-14, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

‘Dear White People’ Star Tessa Thompson Joins Sylvester Stallone in ‘Creed’
DECEMBER 16, 2014 | 05:43PM PT Dave McNary

“Dear White People” and “Selma” star Tessa Thompson has come on board MGM’s boxing drama “Creed” opposite Sylvester Stallone and Michael B. Jordan.

Ryan Coogler (“Fruitvale Station”) is directing from a script he co-wrote with Aaron Covington. Stallone will bring back his Rocky Balboa character as a trainer for the grandson of Apollo Creed, portrayed by Carl Weathers in 1976’s “Rocky.”

Producers are Irwin Winkler, Robert Chartoff, Stallone and Kevin King.

Thompson plays the host of the titular radio show in “Dear White People,” for which she won a breakthrough actress award from the Gotham Awards, and civil rights activist Diane Nash in “Selma.” She is repped by Greene & Associates, Mosaic and Jackoway Tyerman.
Old 12-25-14, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
No Carl Weathers, no sale!
I'm not concerned about Carl Weathers since his character was killed off, but Tony Burton better be in this, as he has been in all of the other Rocky movies. So has Burt Young, but I am not sure there is anywhere else to take his character.

Then again, I am not sure where else they can take Rocky Balboa as a character, but they're making the film regardless.
Old 12-25-14, 07:16 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see where Rocky can still be in there. Burt Young isn't needed but it doesn't hurt to have him, though I felt he was kind of pointless in Rocky VI. Maybe it's cuz I've never cared much for the character aside from Rocky I. Burton would be a nice thing to have considering his character's association w/ Apollo.
Old 12-25-14, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Well, Sylvia Meals should be in it, too. Just for reaction shots at least... it is her grandson after all.
Old 12-25-14, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

They should make a sci fi film set between Rocky IV & V dealing with how Rocky Jr magically aged 10 years in the span of 24 hours.
Old 12-25-14, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Well, Sylvia Meals should be in it, too. Just for reaction shots at least... it is her grandson after all.
hahahaha.
Old 12-27-14, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In before the change to MMA instead of boxing.
Old 12-28-14, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I haven't read too much on this, but is the son of Creed supposed to be a heavyweight? If so, then that would make him the Great Black Hope. That's because a lot of white guys happen to dominate boxing nowdays.

You have to remember that during the time of the original Rocky Saga, it was a VERY common sight to see white guys get knocked out all the time.
Old 12-28-14, 12:25 AM
Banned

Well it is ok for black guys not to dominate all the sports too.
Old 12-29-14, 10:25 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I haven't read too much on this, but is the son of Creed supposed to be a heavyweight?
Michael B Jordan doesn't seem nearly big enough to be a heavyweight. I guess he could put on weight for the role, but that seems unnecessary when there are other weight classes in boxing that he'd be more naturally suited for.
Old 12-29-14, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Michael B Jordan doesn't seem nearly big enough to be a heavyweight. I guess he could put on weight for the role, but that seems unnecessary when there are other weight classes in boxing that he'd be more naturally suited for.
Yeah he looks like a Welterweight at best (147lbs).
Old 01-02-15, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why can't they just make Rocky VII: Adrian's Revenge instead?
Old 01-02-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is Michael B. Jordan the only black actor in Hollywood?
Old 01-02-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Thee only one that gets attention for the time being. Eventually, White Hollywood will notice another black actor and forget all about him.
Old 01-03-15, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It also helps that he was in the director's previous movie, Fruitvale Station, so they probably have a good relationship.
Old 01-04-15, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Morgan Freeman is the only other option
Old 01-04-15, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob V
Morgan Freeman is the only other option
Denzel Washington.

He is popular enough to be recognizable by only his first name. Anytime you hear the name Denzel, that's who is being talked about 99% of the time. Just like Arnold when talking about Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Old 01-05-15, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Michael Jai White is the only actor for this movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.