Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Beyond [no colon] (2016, D: Justin Lin)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Trek Beyond [no colon] (2016, D: Justin Lin)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-14, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek 3 (2016)

Hey, Shatner never directed before STV and look at how well that ... ah fuck.
Old 05-11-14, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
At least Shatner had directed a few television episodes. He and Nimoy also had the good fortune of having Bennet on as producer to surround them (Well, Nimoy anyway ) with top talent and a big budget full of technical pros to compensate for their inexperience. I'm sure Orci will have the same. I'd say to let me do it, but I guaran-damn-tee you that whatever they make will be better than whatever I could do .
Old 05-12-14, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Star Trek Into Darkness was a horrible mess.

It seems like Abrams was so obsessed with keeping the plot and the inclusion of Khan a secret that he actually made a movie that kept Khan's identity a secret through most of the movie. I swear, the premise of the whole movie that they have Khan in it, but it's a secret. The audience isn't supposed to know. The characters don't know. And then, something like two thirds of the way into the movie, there's this big reveal and it just falls flat on its face. Is there any reason that Kirk or Spock should be impressed that he's some centuries-old dictator the Federation spooks found frozen somewhere out in space? Is an audience, who might be unfamiliar with the character, supposed to be impressed? Watching the movie, you get the sense that Harrison/Khan is supposed to be some of badass evil genius, but he's just an asshole who blows up a building and opens fire in a conference room.

But J.J. is Star Wars' problem now.
Old 05-12-14, 05:51 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I didn't mind ST:ID... the movie itself was entertaining, I just hated the inclusion of Khan.
Old 05-12-14, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Hey, Shatner never directed before STV and look at how well that ... ah fuck.
Shatner never directed a movie before - he'd directed quite a bit of TJ Hooker episodes, though.

The problems with Star Trek V actually have little to do with the direction of the movie (it's not poorly directed). The problems have to do with a screenplay that provided no real ending, and some pretty poor special effects that were delivered when the production decided not to go with ILM.
Old 05-12-14, 09:55 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I think DeForest Kelly's best performance (at least as Bones McCoy) actually came from STV, the scene were he is confronted by his fathers death is quite powerful, gripping, and very well done.
Old 05-12-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

Shatner's toupee is a better director than JJ Abrams. Not sure about Orci.
Old 05-12-14, 12:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno about that.

So did Abrams take you to Hawaii and rape you or what? I don't get all the hate towards him. I wouldn't say that I'd watch an Abrams film cuz he directed/etc it but as a director he's solid. I'm not even a fan of him honestly but coincidentally I do have all his directed films. He makes good stuff.

I barely know anything about him outside his film work but he was big in the TV stuff. That I know.
Old 05-12-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I dunno about that.

So did Abrams take you to Hawaii and rape you or what? I don't get all the hate towards him. I wouldn't say that I'd watch an Abrams film cuz he directed/etc it but as a director he's solid. I'm not even a fan of him honestly but coincidentally I do have all his directed films. He makes good stuff.

I barely know anything about him outside his film work but he was big in the TV stuff. That I know.
Abrams has never raped me but he is responsible for unleashing Lindelof upon the world.
Old 05-12-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Star Trek V is a lot like Rocky V. I can understand it being considered a disappointment when it was released, but it seems a lot less shitty now on home video, sandwiched between two other movies.

As for Into Darkness, I think it's the best Trek film in 22 years. It's got an 87% on Rotten Tomatoes, but on certain corners of the internet, you'd think it's the most hated film ever made.

Not that I think critical consensus means jack these days. Revenge of the Sith has an 80%, which is just fucking depressing.
Old 05-12-14, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Most of the critics who liked INTO DARKNESS wouldn't claim to be die hard TREKKIES.

As a mainstream summer popcorn movie, there's nothing wrong with INTO DARKNESS, but as a STAR TREK movie (taking into account the history, canon, and overall themes/ideas that Gene Roddenberry created) it's a huge misfire.
Old 05-12-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
As a mainstream summer popcorn movie, there's nothing wrong with INTO DARKNESS, but as a STAR TREK movie (taking into account the history, canon, and overall themes/ideas that Gene Roddenberry created) it's a huge misfire.
I've heard this claim again and again, and I just don't get it.

It feels much more like a Star Trek movie to me than the first one, which had no real themes. It was just about getting the crew together in an origin story, and ripping off Luke Skywalker's destiny as a hero thing from Star Wars. If either of the two Abrams movies is a failure as a Star Trek movie, it's this one, particularly at the end when...

Spoiler:
...Kirk and his crew decide to kill Nero for basically no reason at all.

Into Darkness, on the other hand, deals with precisely the kind of themes I expect from Star Trek...

Spoiler:
...Pike is killed, and Kirk lets his emotions get in the way and wants to go after Khan and kill him. He begs Marcus to be sent on what's essentially an assassination run. Everyone around Kirk is more level-headed, questioning whether this is really what they should be doing, what Starfleet is all about. Kirk finally comes around and declares that Starfleet does not execute without a trial, and he does the right thing, which is what makes him a great captain despite his brash attitude.

The whole story is treated basically as an allegory for modern politics and attitudes toward what we define as terrorism, with the whole thing being a massive grey area morally. The villains at certain points act more sympathetically than the heroes, and while the heroes prevail in the end, the filmmakers consistently comment on and question how they go about doing so.

How this violates what Star Trek is all about, I don't know. Maybe I missed something watching The Original Series, but it seemed to me like it was all about wrapping up serious social themes in a fun adventure show. Into Darkness did that for me, with flying colors. You can maybe argue that it did the job poorly, which I disagree with but consider a valid point of view, but all the complaints I hear about Into Darkness somehow not being a "real" Star Trek movie just fall flat for me.
Old 05-12-14, 07:51 PM
Banned

i'd say they had plenty reason to kill Nero
Old 05-12-14, 08:06 PM
Banned

There is only one Star Trek 3 and it came out in 1984.
Old 05-12-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
i'd say they had plenty reason to kill Nero
It's been awhile since I've seen it, but if I remember correctly, Nero's ship was useless and he was being asked to surrender. He refused, and told Kirk he'd rather die. Kirk's response? "You got it." And off went Spock to carry out the order to kill, and nobody objected. I'm sure I'm getting details wrong, but the point is that Kirk either killed an unarmed and disabled opponent or allowed him to die.

Maybe Kirk said something like, "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you," and I just forgot about it. If Batman Begins can get away with bullshit like that, why not Star Trek?
Old 05-13-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
His ship was crippled, and if his insistence that he didn't want help was true, with the red matter collapsing, it would've destroyed him and Narada anyway, so I'm not entirely sure why they had to fire.

As regards STID, it did hew a little closer in that it at least has some moral underpinnings-the bad guy turns out to have a logical motivation, Kirk, deliberately meant to be on a mission of vengeance, discovers that his own personal feels are clouding his judgement in exactly the way they're intended to, and that he's a pawn in a larger game. But what's really interesting is how it plays with the idea of how fascism grows. "They're coming for us, we have to be ready," and thus Marcus is willing to almost create an enemy to feed the war machine. The film may not milk the idea fully, but it's a nice subtext which gives it a little bit of intelligence.
Old 05-13-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

It seems like Abrams was so obsessed with keeping the plot and the inclusion of Khan a secret that he actually made a movie that kept Khan's identity a secret through most of the movie. I swear, the premise of the whole movie that they have Khan in it, but it's a secret. The audience isn't supposed to know. The characters don't know. And then, something like two thirds of the way into the movie, there's this big reveal and it just falls flat on its face. Is there any reason that Kirk or Spock should be impressed that he's some centuries-old dictator the Federation spooks found frozen somewhere out in space? Is an audience, who might be unfamiliar with the character, supposed to be impressed? Watching the movie, you get the sense that Harrison/Khan is supposed to be some of badass evil genius, but he's just an asshole who blows up a building and opens fire in a conference room.

They thought that Khan was Trek's Joker. But Star Trek is not a comic book.
Old 05-13-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I hate it when shit like this is historically inaccurate. Been common lately though, STiD last year, Noah this year.

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
They thought that Khan was Trek's Joker. But Star Trek is not a comic book.
Is it that bad? Oh yeah, this will be on Netflix Streaming come May 17th. For those of us (alright, me) who haven't watched it yet.
Old 05-13-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
I hate it when shit like this is historically inaccurate. Been common lately though, STiD last year, Noah this year.

Oh yeah, this will be on Netflix Streaming come May 17th. For those of us (alright, me) who haven't watched it yet.
Maybe Noah had magic Khan blood and that is the reason he lived like 450 years or something in the Bible?
Old 05-13-14, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Well, everyone has an opinion.
Old 05-13-14, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Eh what happened in Star Trek 09 with Nero is no different than how the various death scenes for villains have been for all of the previous ones. Kirk kicking Kruge in the face saying "I have had enough of you" is no different.

No, Into Darkness was a fucking awful Star Trek movie and just a bad movie in general.
Old 05-13-14, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Well, get ready, Robert Orci is going to direct:
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ro...-3-1201180140/
Old 05-13-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

And this movie is off to a shitty start.
Old 05-13-14, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Describes me perfectly - I've never been a Trek fan, but love the new movies...can't wait for the next one. So, which audience should they go for? I'd think ST fans would be excited about the new movies and their popularity, even if they're more mainstream/generic... compared to the alternative, which is nothing.
Old 05-13-14, 11:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Annnnnnnnd now my interest has plummeted to a great degree.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.