Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Beyond [no colon] (2016, D: Justin Lin)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Trek Beyond [no colon] (2016, D: Justin Lin)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-15, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
re: Star Trek Beyond [no colon] (2016, D: Justin Lin)

I know about the play. I just meant more film roles which it looks like he has some in development I guess.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-28-15 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-28-15, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

He was in that movie where everybody made fun of his Russian accent.
Old 03-28-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I shouldn't say he's in nothing it just seems like he's not doing anything big name really. Godzilla was about it and he was wasted in that. It seems like the films he's doing are more character pieces which does fit him I guess.
Old 03-28-15, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I guess I shouldn't say he's in nothing it just seems like he's not doing anything big name really. Godzilla was about it and he was wasted in that. It seems like the films he's doing are more character pieces which does fit him I guess.
Even with success and Emmy awards it can be difficult for TV stars to transition to mainstream high-profile films. We have to remember that Breaking Bad was a cult hit until maybe 3 years in when more people began to discover it on Netflix. Cranston is an older-guy so the big movie roles for an actor his age will be limited, and even then studios might prefer to go with actors who are known as major film actors. Just because the internet loves Walter White, doesn't mean Bryan Cranston will become a mega movie star over night. I don't expect Jon Hamm to start appearing in Marvel movies either, As much as we love these actors, it's still a superficial, competitive industry.
Old 03-28-15, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Even with success and Emmy awards it can be difficult for TV stars to transition to mainstream high-profile films. We have to remember that Breaking Bad was a cult hit until maybe 3 years in when more people began to discover it on Netflix. Cranston is an older-guy so the big movie roles for an actor his age will be limited, and even then studios might prefer to go with actors who are known as major film actors. Just because the internet loves Walter White, doesn't mean Bryan Cranston will become a mega movie star over night. I don't expect Jon Hamm to start appearing in Marvel movies either, As much as we love these actors, it's still a superficial, competitive industry.
I think Jon Hamm is better suited for comedy honestly, he does well in something like Mad Men but he has this smarmy goofy look to him that just suits comedy - and is proven by him numerous appearances on 30 Rock, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and Childrens Hospital, among others. Cranston is best as a supporting player imho, while he's a fantastic actor I've never found him to have the necessary screen presence, if that makes any sense (I expect that to get slammed but it's just like, my opinion, man.)

Last edited by RichC2; 03-28-15 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-28-15, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can actually agree that Cranston would make a better supporting type character. I think if the right role came along he could be a leading man but he seems to fit well in roles like he had in Argo. Hamm I could see transitioning to bigger roles in films.
Old 03-28-15, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My point is, that while both actors are very talented, neither are going to get the same opportunities afforded to actors that are known as film actors.
Old 03-28-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My point is, that while both actors are very talented, neither are going to get the same opportunities afforded to actors that are known as film actors.
I think that's sort of silly though because serial type tv shows now days are held in as high or higher regards than a lot of films.
Old 03-28-15, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that's sort of silly though because serial type tv shows now days are held in as high or higher regards than a lot of films.
By Television critics and Netflix bingers, but Hollywood is not still not inviting many of those actors to be a part of their biggest films. Cranston for Lex Luthor makes sense to the Internet, but Hollywood hires Jesse Eisenberg. Internet wants Jon Hamm for Superman, Hollywood hires Henry Cavill. WB ignores the Arrow and Flash show, despite how popular it is among comic fans.
Old 03-28-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I just mean that shows are arguably as bif as films in some instances and I'm not sure why Hollywood doesn't seem to recognize it. I mean you have big names like Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson starring on an HBO series (granted only for a season but still), Kevin Spacey has a House of Cards, etc. TV is a great medium to tell stories in and really in a lot of ways you can do more with it than you can with film.
Old 03-28-15, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I just mean that shows are arguably as bif as films in some instances and I'm not sure why Hollywood doesn't seem to recognize it. I mean you have big names like Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson starring on an HBO series (granted only for a season but still), Kevin Spacey has a House of Cards, etc. TV is a great medium to tell stories in and really in a lot of ways you can do more with it than you can with film.
It's completely different that direction because it's not added risk for the TV Network producing the program, it's actually a huge bonus. When that happens, you'll see ton of marketing featuring that the show is starring so-and-so Hollywood actor, bonus points for being nominated/winning an Oscar. Movies cost a lot more money, movie actors get paid a lot more money, and there's a lot more risk for the studios involved. Risk that could be reduced if the studio can put a movie star in the role. Movies featuring Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt always make a ton of money, even if the internet thinks the movie looks like shit. Hollywood would always prefer to go with the sure bet than take a risk on a television actor who hasn't proven to be a box office draw.
Old 03-28-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Star Trek III is going to have a big bad villain who's angry at Kirk and the Federation and the villain has a big bad starship. Again? Hopefully not.
Old 03-28-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's another predictable Hollywood trend where they just re- wait... where's the Mike I was talking to?
Old 03-28-15, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mike45
So Star Trek III is going to have a big bad villain who's angry at Kirk and the Federation and the villain has a big bad starship. Again? Hopefully not.
I know that Paramount probably thinks that's the direction that they need to go to make money on a Trek film but honestly I'm tired of it too. It'd be nice if we could get a film more about the crew exploring and whatnot. That being said I don't mind if the Klingons make some kind of an appearance but I hope the film isn't just Kirk and the crew take them on and the bulk of the film is just a big battle or something. I won't be surprised if that is the direction they go though.

That's another predictable Hollywood trend where they just re- wait... where's the Mike I was talking to?
Old 03-28-15, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mike45
Yes, so it'll basically be a thinly-veiled riff on Wrath of Khan. Again.
Old 03-28-15, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I would like to see one of these modern Star Treks without a villain. That'd be cool.
Old 03-29-15, 04:08 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I'd like to see an updated version of the Doomsday machine.
Old 03-30-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I would like to see one of these modern Star Treks without a villain. That'd be cool.
That's why STAR TREK IV was such a big hit...Nimoy thought they had just spent two films doing very 'dark' material with a lot of tragedy and death, and it was time to lighten things up. Sadly, that would NEVER happen with a current Star Trek movie, because there's too much $$$ at stake.
Old 03-30-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

As much as I hate to admit it I would like a Star Trek film along the lines of Interstellar. A movie about space travel and discovery. That film made enough money to show that you don't need constant explosions.
Old 03-30-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Film also hyped the crap out of the fact Chis Nolan was involved.

Face it, Trek movies are going to have action in them. Leave the exploring of Class 5 nebula quasars or whatever to TV episodes. Sounds like you guys are hoping for what is Star Trek the Motionless Picture. Boring as crap. Another movie with exploration: Star Trek 5.
Old 03-30-15, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That's why STAR TREK IV was such a big hit...Nimoy thought they had just spent two films doing very 'dark' material with a lot of tragedy and death, and it was time to lighten things up. Sadly, that would NEVER happen with a current Star Trek movie, because there's too much $$$ at stake.
Which is a particular shame, because it emerged not only as a huge commercial hit, but as a fan-favorite as well. Although a lot of that has to do with Nicholas Meyer's terrific and witty screenplay, something which would probably be hard to replicate today. You would have to find someone who has that sense of intelligence with a touch of humor.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 04-01-15 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-30-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Which is a particular shame, because it emerged not only is a huge commercial hit, but as a fan-favorite as well. Although a lot of that has to do with Nicholas Meyer's terrific and witty screenplay, something which would probably be hard to replicate today. You would have to find someone who has that sense of light intelligence with a touch of humor.
Yep, and there's a lot of similarities in the humor to what Meyer did in TIME AFTER TIME.
Old 04-10-15, 03:03 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: After a sharp turn as the sexy blade-legged assassin in the Matthew Vaughn-directed hit Kingsman: The Secret Service, Sofia Boutella has been set for a lead role in Star Trek 3, which Justin Lin is directing from a script by cast member Simon Pegg and Doug Jung (creator of the TNT series Dark Blue).

Prying loose info on this project is difficult, so I’m not sure whether she’s on the side of good or bad, but I’m told she’s got a lead role in the Paramount/Skydance film produced by Bad Robot that’s based on the Gene Roddenberry series. Paramount has dated the pic’s release for July 8, 2016.

Boutella is repped by Paradigm and 42 in the UK.
http://deadline.com/2015/04/sofia-bo...an-1201407900/
Old 04-21-15, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simon Pegg confirms that Elba will be playing a brand new character.

“It will be [an original character], yes. This is the five-year mission now, we’re out there. We don’t always have to keep bumping into the same people… So we’re gonna try and reflect that in the movie.”
Old 04-21-15, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

About friggin' time!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.