Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Any Max Ophuls fans around here?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-09-13, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I'm looking for some films to buy for the Barnes and Noble Criterion sale and reading the synopsis for some of his films, they sound like a hybrid of Ernst Lubitsch and Preston Sturges. Can anyone recommend me some of his films to check out. Or maybe draw some sort of comparison to other filmmakers with similar films?

Thanks.

Last edited by Hazel Motes; 07-09-13 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-09-13, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts
Re: Any Max Ophuls fans around here?

Originally Posted by Chadm
I'm looking for some films to buy for the Barnes and Noble Criterion sale and reading the synopsis for some of his films, they sound like a hybrid of Ernst Lubitsch and Preston Sturges. Can anyone recommend me some of his films to check out. Or maybe draw some sort of comparison to other filmmakers with similar films?

Thanks.
If you could tell us which films of his are being offered by Criterion, I might be able to single some of them out.
Old 07-09-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

La ronde
La plaisir
Lola Montes
The Earrings of Madame de . . .
Old 07-09-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

I have to admit, my copy of Lola Montes has been sitting on the shelf unwatched for at least a year. I've started it on a couple of occasions, but never gotten through more than 20-30 minutes without falling asleep. I blind bought it because I was on a big Technicolor kick at the time and kind of regret it. That said, I may make it though the whole thing one day and find I love it. I can't wait to check out The Earrings of Madame de... when that comes out on blu-ray in a few weeks. That's one I'm pretty sure I will like based on everything I have heard about it.
Old 07-09-13, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
La ronde
La plaisir
Lola Montes
The Earrings of Madame de . . .
I've never seen LA RONDE, but I've seen the other three, along with all of his American films. I'd argue that his best film is LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN, but of the four you mention, I'd single out LA PLAISIR and EARRINGS OF MADAME DE..., esp. the latter, which has a great star trio in it in Charles Boyer, Vittorio de Sica and Danielle Darrieux. It's an adult film in the best sense of the word. I would like to see those again and if the Criterion price is right I might get them.