Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ethics of Going from One Movie to Another at a Multiplex

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

In today's New York Times Sunday Magazine, the Ethicist (Chuck Klosterman) address this issue.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/ma...ef=todayspaper

For those who don't want to search the column via the link, I'll paste the question and answer here (is that even ethical?). The answer may not be what some of you want to hear, but I love it anyway:

Q: I go to the movies often. Sometimes I’ll see something that is terrible or too violent for my tastes. Is it O.K. to walk out and go into another movie? Or even ask for my money back?

A: In enormous multiplex cinemas, I see patrons doing this quite often, and I assume their logic is this: They feel as if they’ve paid for a movie, so it’s up to them to decide which movie they see. This would be a justifiable argument if theaters sold tickets for three-hour blocks of time, but that’s not how the world works. Buying a ticket does not award you 180 minutes inside the walls of the building (which you can use in whatever way you want). Your ticket gives you access to a specific movie in a specific location at a specific time. That’s the transaction.

There’s an assumed risk with subjective art. When you buy a ticket for an artistic event, there’s no guarantee that you’ll like it. You can’t argue that the ticket buyer is owed a film experience that meets his or her personal criteria for quality entertainment, because the only guarantee is that the advertised movie will be screened at that place at that time. Your critical opinion does not dictate a refund. And by changing theaters, you’re hurting the creators of the film you saw without directly paying for it. A film’s box-office performance is obviously dictated by box-office sales. If you pay for a bad movie but end up watching a different one, you are rewarding the bad director while taking revenue from the director who made entertainment you liked, in that way incrementally perpetuating the likelihood that more bad movies will be made in the future.
Old 07-07-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Ethics of Going from One Movie to Another at a Multiplex

And by changing theaters, you’re hurting the creators of the film you saw without directly paying for it.
It's better than physically hurting them which is what I feel like doing after watching a shitty movie.
Old 07-07-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's fine. I'm not above stealing. Though I've never actually done this. I don't go to bad movies.
Old 07-07-13, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never done it but I agree with what the NYTimes guy responded with. I thought it was going to deal with people who pay for one movie then after that movie is done, going to a different theater and watching that movie without paying for a ticket.
Old 07-07-13, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We've done the two movie thing. Never really thought about it. I guess because we paid to get in and paid $20 for 50¢ worth of popcorn we can stay for another. I do remember going to one theater where the ushers would literally usher you out the door after the movie. I suppose it's wrong but compared to sneaking in the exit door when others leave, it's minor.
Old 07-07-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

If a movie really doesn't meet your tastes and you decide that early enough in the screening, most theaters will let you exchange your tickets for something else.
Old 07-07-13, 03:51 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use to work at an AMC multiplex in high school and people did this all the time, the managers didn't really care unless the patrons were being obnoxious which was usually only like tween and teens in the summer who didn't have anything better to do. But you'd be surprised a lot of older retirees do it as well . Older people also will argue about how bad a movie is for a ticket refund but rather than give them a refund the manager will just say "feel free to see another movie". I did this when my girlfriend and I were fighting I went from Dark Knight Rises to The Campaign so I wouldn't have to deal with her shit.
Old 07-07-13, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sometimes I just buy a ticket for a different movie at the same time just because I want to help their box office and not the movie I'm really going to see.

I also used to watch multiple movies all the time as a teenager. I can't imagine too many adults would even want to now, and I'd never go to a movie alone.
Old 07-07-13, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this when I was making just above min. wage and didn't think it wrong.
It was always a crappy movie I was not sure to pay.
DEAD HEAT, EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY were the ones I remember sneaking in to.
Never a hit.
Like today I would do it for LONE RANGER.
Old 07-07-13, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Was wondering if it was going to be the "bad" thing that I do from which is use those movie passes for one movie but see a different one instead. No way was I going to see TDKR five times last years. They had movie passes on so many different blu's for that movie it was not even funny.
Old 07-07-13, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to do this a lot in high school. I once took in an odd triple feature of Little Nicky, Bones, and K-Pax. Can't really say I'd do it now, since being caught as an adult would just be embarrassing as hell, but if I did I'd buy a few concessions to make up for it. They'd probably prefer that anyway.
Old 07-07-13, 05:56 PM
Banned

When I buy a ticket for a movie, I stick to that showing. If it sucks, I walk out and ask for my money back. That's how it should always be. If you want to see another movie after walking out of one, ask for a refund, and wait for the next showtime.
Old 07-07-13, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 280 Likes on 180 Posts

I don't understand people who just go to the theater with no idea of what they want to see. They'll usually end up purchasing a ticket to a movie they have only heard the title of. They have no idea what it's about, who's in it, etc....and then they want a refund. Boggles my mind.
Old 07-07-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My wife and I did this regularly, but after our daughter began to go to the movies with us, we ceased the practice to set the proper standard. However, when one now needs a second mortgage to afford concessions, it's clear that copping a free flick now and again is hardly the worst crime occurring at the cineplex
Old 07-07-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I don't understand people who just go to the theater with no idea of what they want to see. They'll usually end up purchasing a ticket to a movie they have only heard the title of. They have no idea what it's about, who's in it, etc....and then they want a refund. Boggles my mind.
The last time I wanted a refund was after both of The Matrix sequels.
Old 07-07-13, 07:34 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I used to do this a lot in high school. I once took in an odd triple feature of Little Nicky, Bones, and K-Pax.
I don't know what Bones is besides the tv show but three movies is a lot, a double feature is all I could sit through.
Old 07-07-13, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Only did it one time as a teenager. Me and a group of friends paid to see The Fly, afterwards snuck into Cobra. Needless to say, a most excellent time at the movies.
Old 07-07-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I've never once considered doing this - you bought a ticket to a movie, you should buy another ticket to another movie if you want to see that one too.

And I don't see movies I don't think I'll like, so I've never felt the need to walk out of one.

The whole practice reeks of entitlement (I paid 10 bucks, I should get to do whatever I want!).
Old 07-07-13, 07:50 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I've only asked for a refund if the presentation of the film is piss poor, i.e. poor framing, bad picture, bad sound, and it's not fixed.

I made the mistake of going to this second-run theater to see Les Miserables. Horrible sound and the screen looked like the shape of a trapezoid.

I told the staff about it, they lied to me and said they'd fix it. After 5 minutes I said to my wife "fuck this shit" and I asked for a refund for tickets and food. I got the refund, with a strange look from a manger type, as if I was strange for expecting the screen to be framed properly and I can at least hear the movie. Then we left. I'm never going to second-run again.
Old 07-07-13, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've actually purchased tickets so I could see two different movies back-to-back. People can dress it up however they want, but sneaking into a second movie after purchasing a ticket to the first one is stealing.
Old 07-07-13, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

After working in the theater business for 10 years, I've since gone into a 2nd movie after seeing the one I paid for. (No matter how bad a movie is, I would NEVER walk out on it.) Last time I did this, I snuck into "Gigli" after seeing Terminator 3- they should have thanked me just for seeing that movie at all (and I later bought the DVD for 3 bucks at Big Lots). One thing that theaters do that encourages this behavior is putting the movie's start time right above the doors. If I'm walking out and see that another movie is about to start, it's a temptation to just go right in.
Old 07-07-13, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by inri222
The last time I wanted a refund was after both of The Matrix sequels.
Why in the WORLD would you go see the third chapter if you wanted a for a refund on the second??
Old 07-07-13, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to sound like an old fart but way back in the late 70's early 80's, theaters started the next showing right after the previous one's credits ended. Literly, the credits end, 3-4 trailers & the movie starts. I was super young & my mom took me to see a rerelease of Mary Poppins. We saw it twice. I was 4 or 5 so its not like I had any concept of how movies/tickets worked.
Old 07-07-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sven
I don't go to bad movies.
this.
Old 07-07-13, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

The union projectionist I worked with said one of the old downtown single-screen theaters in the 70s used to show kung fu movies all day long, and would schedule them so that the last one always ended at the same time- so to make sure this happened, the first movie of the day would often start a few reels in, possible to do since they were running changeovers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.