Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Europa Report (2013)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Europa Report (2013)

Old 04-01-14, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Europa Report (2013)

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Personally, I enjoyed this more than Gravity. Gravity kills it on special effects & spectacle obviously, but I thought Europa Report was substantially better in terms of plot & characters.
I agree with you. I rate this over Gravity. I really liked Gravity, but something about this one really stuck with me.
Old 04-01-14, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,001 Likes on 621 Posts

Europa Report seems heavily inspired by a chapter from Arthur C. Clarke's 2010: Odyssey Two. In this chapter of Clarke's novel, a Chinese ship lands on Europa's icy surface. The ship is attacked and wrecked by some native life form that breaks through the ice. The crew all either die in the attack or soon after since they are stranded. The last living crew member sends out the message telling of their fate.

It was just kind of a small side-story in the book, but it always stuck with me. I found it horrifying. The 2010 movie leaves this story out, so it was nice to have it portrayed (in a way) in Europa Report.
Old 04-01-14, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

I think Europa Report, Gravity, and Last Days on Mars make for an awesome triple play, imo.
Old 04-02-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think Europa Report, Gravity, and Last Days on Mars make for an awesome triple play, imo.
Agreed. Really liked Mars, too.
Old 05-01-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I watched this last night and my reaction was pretty meh. It's not bad, in fact I'd say it's OK, but nothing more than that.

I just didn't feel anything for any of the characters, and the subpar effects (yes, I understand it had a low budget) didn't make me feel like anything that happened was real.

Also, what was up with making Sharlto Copley speak in an American accent? He could barely contain his native SA accent.
Old 05-01-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I agree that it was ok nothing special; the fake melodrama with the documentary footage and the craft footage was pretty weak, forcing suspense of the outcome of the crew.

In general the found footage tries to make up for the lack of budget but the concept of space travel means you get lingering shots of in helmet cams with actors who can't handle dedicated screentime for that long. The sequence with the Europa sample walk for example.
Old 06-07-15, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got this cuz of that Magnet sale Amazon had some time ago.

I would have preferred this to be told in a more conventional visual narrative. The found footage take on it is kind of boring. It's mostly good. There's a really strong film here but not told in the way it was. The payoff is at the end for me. That made it all worth it but to get there was very taxing because of the way it is told. I liked it fine though, good movie for the price.
Old 06-09-15, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I tried watching this over the weekend, but never really got into it.
Old 06-09-15, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

This movie was on my Top-10 of that year.