Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What Does Marvel Want With Vin Diesel?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What Does Marvel Want With Vin Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-13, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: What Does Marvel Want With Vin Diesel?

Old 06-30-13, 07:39 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd still want that bullshit rumor of Mortensen possibly being Dr. Strange to be true. He'd be awesome for it.
Old 06-30-13, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'd still want that bullshit rumor of Mortensen possibly being Dr. Strange to be true. He'd be awesome for it.
Indeed.

It would be inspired casting and he'd be perfect for the role. He has just enough onscreen aloofness, coupled with his impeccable timing, to really breathe life into this character.
Old 06-30-13, 10:06 AM
Banned

For sure. He can make the oddness of a character feel so real due to his skills.
Old 07-10-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...ml?cache=clear

Vin Diesel's Big Marvel Movie Tease — So Is He Playing a Hero or Villain?

It's hard to tell which character in the sprawling Marvel Universe might be the perfect fit for Vin Diesel. There are so many fast and furious heroes to go around ... not to mention villains, too.

The "Riddick" star first teased his possible involvement with an upcoming Marvel project on June 26 with a post on his Facebook page that has since been removed (probably at the request of super-secretive Marvel execs):

"Marvel has requested a meeting ... no idea what for ... haha, you probably know better than me."

We didn't, but we were certainly intrigued. Diesel has now posted a tantalizing follow-up, which includes a pic of the star next to poster-sized cover art of a back issue of "The Avengers":

"Marvel meeting today ... Only the people in the room can tell you what was discussed ... P.s. Thanks to Our page, for pushing to make it happen ... you know I get tunnel vision with my work ... and after that meeting today ... wow!"

At this point it's probably safe to assume that Vin Diesel will be joining the ever-growing cinematic Marvel Universe, joining an A-list collective cast that includes Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Mark Ruffalo, Jeremy Renner and many more. So who might the man best known to audiences worldwide as street racer/mega-heist mastermind Dominic Toretto in the "Fast and Furious" series be playing?

We probably shouldn't ignore the details of the pic that Diesel posted yesterday, as it features a character that might not seem very Diesel-esque at first glance but starts to become a little more Vin-like the more you think about it. The back issue of "The Avengers" on display urges readers to "See the new Giant-Man," which is a sometimes-alias of size-shifting Dr. Hank Pym, otherwise known as Ant-Man ... and "Shaun of the Dead" director Edgar Wright just so happens to be prepping a stand-alone "Ant-Man" movie for November 2015.

Vin Diesel as a brilliant scientist who develops a suit that allows him to shrink to the size of an insect ... and, later, enlarge to the size of a giant? It's so crazy, it just might work!

That is, if the artwork in the pic really means anything (admittedly, we might be reaching). There are several other possible contenders as well ...

Would Vin Diesel be better as Thanos or Groot? Or someone else entirely? Diesel's larger-than-life persona (and body) would fit right in with the over-the-top theatrics (and characters) of "Guardians of the Galaxy," the final Marvel Phase Two movie (August 1, 2014) before the "Avengers" sequel. Diesel could possibly be up for Thanos, the villain character teased at the end of "Marvel's The Avengers" and who is rumored to be the big baddie in "Guardians." He could also play Groot, the talking tree-thing, or even Rocket Raccoon, the trigger-happy, uh, raccoon.

Actually, let's go back to that posted pic. Maybe the clue isn't so much the image of Hank Pym but rather the issue of "The Avengers." Could Diesel be appearing in "Marvel's The Avengers 2"? We doubt he's up for Quicksilver (a personal favorite of writer-director Joss Whedon), but maybe he's up for an unnamed villain role in May 2015's Marvel mash-up?

There are Marvel projects further down the pipeline that seem less likely to include Diesel. Rumor has it that Phase Three (the films that will be released post-"Avengers 2") will include a "Doctor Strange" movie, and Diesel doesn't exactly give off an "elitist stage magician" vibe. The title role in a possible "Black Panther" film is certainly a possibility as well. But again, Diesel who is "of ambiguous ethnicity" (his words) doesn't quite seem like the top contender to play an African character from the fictional African nation of Wakanda.

Say, there's going to be a Marvel panel at the San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday, July 20. Might an official announcement be imminent? Diesel will already be down there for "Riddick," after all. We'll be there to find out!
Old 07-10-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
We probably shouldn't ignore the details of the pic that Diesel posted yesterday, as it features a character that might not seem very Diesel-esque at first glance but starts to become a little more Vin-like the more you think about it. The back issue of "The Avengers" on display urges readers to "See the new Giant-Man," which is a sometimes-alias of size-shifting Dr. Hank Pym, otherwise known as Ant-Man ... and "Shaun of the Dead" director Edgar Wright just so happens to be prepping a stand-alone "Ant-Man" movie for November 2015.

Vin Diesel as a brilliant scientist who develops a suit that allows him to shrink to the size of an insect ... and, later, enlarge to the size of a giant? It's so crazy, it just might work!
I'll take this.
Old 07-11-13, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Groot was a guy I thought of right away but I'd buy Thanos, too. There's no doubt in my mind it isn't Pym.
Old 09-07-13, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Vin Diesel reveals a 'Merging of Brands' for Marvel phase 3

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/09/...erse-come-2016

This sounds like it is going to be epic.

When I met with Marvel it wasn’t for anything immediate, it was to talk about a film that would be introduced in the Phase 3 part of Marvel, not for a few years. You wouldn’t be able to see it for a few years. In my mind, Marvel were doing it right, they were enrolling me at the ground level which is the best way to enrol me.

I had heard people over the last year, people saying on the social media page saying “What’s up Vin? Why aren’t you going to Marvel? Why aren’t you doing anything with Marvel? It would be a crime of cinematic history for you not to be in [Marvel movies]”

So I was thinking “This Marvel thing is really becoming really important for these people. What can I do? What should I think about?”

I get the call, I go down to Marvel. A*great meeting. It was even talking about something so big I can’t even talk about because it’s like the merging of brands in a way, which I won’t get into. That was something way, way, way, way, way down the road.

Later, he explains how he was put on the spot at Comic-Con. I was in Hall H when a fan asked him about his meetings with Marvel. This is how it felt from Diesel’s side.

We had agreed not to say anything about the specifics of the meeting. So, now I’ve got the fans who I love more than I love the industry, than I love everybody… I was thinking “I’ve got to be real with them, I’ve got to tell them something” and yet I want to be respectful of people’s process and if people like to do a slow reveal, you know?

Quite frankly, it would have been too much to say and it might have been anticlimactic to say “We’re working on something for 2016” and so I just said “You’re going to hear some really big news” and I left at the end of that and it went crazy.
Old 09-07-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Vin Diesel reveals a 'Merging of Brands' for Marvel phase 3

I just like that marvel has it all planned out already. Merging of universes...gOTG/Avengers cross over? Who knows! But that's the same universe
Old 09-07-13, 11:01 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Marvel and its' properties have really done an amazing job with their franchises and it wouldn't surprise me a bit with the above...
Old 09-07-13, 11:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I just like that marvel has it all planned out already.
So true. Marvel has a long term plan for their Cinematic Universe, and DC doesn't even know what they are doing tomorrow. As a lifelong DC fanboy that makes me so sad because there's really no reason why we couldn't also have a great DC Cinematic Universe.

Anyway, when Vin Diesel mentions a "merging of brands" the first thing that came to my mind was maybe they struck a deal with Sony and/or Fox to use Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, or X-Men. It seems highly unlikely, but that's all I can think of that would be a "merging of brands."

Guardians of the Galaxy already is part of the MCU brand. Thanos is going to be introduced in that movie, so it will definitely tie into the Avengers.

Another wild thing to came to my mind is what if Marvel made a deal with DC to get some Marvel vs DC in the movies... Superman vs Hulk... Batman vs Captain America... Marvel and DC have had a few crossovers in the comics in the past. That seems more much unlikely than a deal with Sony or Fox though.
Old 09-07-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, with the way marvel is going cosmic I actually hope it's FF/Silver Surfer.

But the potential of A DC/Marvel cross over.....
Old 09-07-13, 11:19 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

But the potential of A DC/Marvel cross over.....
Old 09-07-13, 11:33 AM
Banned

Brands. Hrmm. That COULD mean Groot and Branches/Avengers. Which would make sense considering what brings both teams together in there own films. But the only thing not making me think that is the word he used, Brand. they're both marvel but maybe he didn't properly word his statement.

If such a team crossover did happen. That's a lot of nerdgasm there.
Old 09-07-13, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lots of folks at bleeding cool speculating that Riddick In MU
Old 09-07-13, 11:47 AM
Banned

That's one thing I thought.

Question: who owns that character?

Last edited by Solid Snake; 09-07-13 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-07-13, 11:47 AM
Banned

Lots of folks at bleeding cool speculating that Riddick In MU
Please no. That would be the first truly stupid thing Marvel has done with the MCU if true. It should be confined to just comic book characters. Riddick in the MCU would be as dumb as Mickey Mouse in the MCU.
Old 09-07-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe they start with a Riddick graphic novel first?
Old 09-07-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm 99% sure he's refrerring to himself as one of the brands in this scenario.
Old 09-07-13, 11:59 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
That's one thing I thought.

Question: who created that character?
The writer/director of all the Riddick films, David Twohy.

Also, while this may not have anything to do with Vin Deisel, what recently acquired property does Disney have that would fit in very well with the Marvel universe? HMMM
Old 09-07-13, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Also, while this may not have anything to do with Vin Deisel, what recently acquired property does Disney have that would fit in very well with the Marvel universe? HMMM
I wouldn't say that Star Wars fits in very well with the Marvel universe at all. Sure, Jedi vs Avengers sounds nice on paper and might even work in the comics, but in the movies? I doubt it.
Old 09-07-13, 12:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get off my plane.
Old 09-07-13, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Get off my plane.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z4t6zNZ-b0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-07-13, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

My guess is, that he sort of misspoke. I think a "merging" will be not different properties, but a crossover of Avengers/GoTG characters.
Old 09-07-13, 12:38 PM
Banned

Apparently Diesel owns the character from what that article Oldboy posted for his box office thread says. That makes sense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.