Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Poltergeist - Sam Raimi produced remake (2015, D: Kenan) S: Rockwell, DeWitt

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Poltergeist - Sam Raimi produced remake (2015, D: Kenan) S: Rockwell, DeWitt

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Re: Poltergeist - Sam Raimi produced remake (2015, D: Kenan) S: Rockwell, DeWitt

Originally Posted by Strevlac
Quoted for truth. Spielberg was great at this. Close Encounters, E.T. and Poltergeist perfectly captured middle class suburbia of the late 70's/early 80's. Watching those movies feels like being transported back to my childhood neighborhoods. Despite the fantastical stuff these flicks feel completely real.
Agreed ... I don't know why, but some movies come off "dated" (i.e., Scarface)while others capture the time period. These are timeless examples that capture the time period.
Old 02-14-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by My Other Self
No. It didn't really start until the widespread use of the internet.
Yes, we must do as much damage to the culture as possible .
Old 02-14-15, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Poltergeist - Sam Raimi produced remake (2015, D: Kenan) S: Rockwell, DeWitt

Originally Posted by joe_b
Could not agree less. I watched it on the big screen a couple years back and it still packs a punch. The best haunted house movie ever made, imo. I like DeWitt, but have no interest in seeing this one.
This a thousand times. I watch the original once a year on Blu Ray. I think it has fantastic. And, like you said, packs one hell of a punch. One of the top 5 haunted house movies ever. I was not happy when I first learned about a remake/reboot/whatever the fuck they're calling it, but REALLY have no interest after seeing that trailer.
Old 02-14-15, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Strevlac
Quoted for truth. Spielberg was great at this. Close Encounters, E.T. and Poltergeist perfectly captured middle class suburbia of the late 70's/early 80's. Watching those movies feels like being transported back to my childhood neighborhoods. Despite the fantastical stuff these flicks feel completely real.
In addition to that, Spielberg's films from that era had a real threat and danger to the characters involved regardless of their age. In Poltergeist, all of the characters, including the children, go through hell and back. The fact that the children are violently attacked and injured on screen does not occur in present-day filmmaking.
Old 02-14-15, 08:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
In addition to that, Spielberg's films from that era had a real threat and danger to the characters involved regardless of their age. In Poltergeist, all of the characters, including the children, go through hell and back. The fact that the children are violently attacked and injured on screen does not occur in present-day filmmaking.
thankfully Guillermo del Toro and Terry Gilliam somewhat continue that trend.
Old 02-14-15, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's because there's a very special place in hell for people who do . In all seriousness, Spielberg at his best really understood the psychology of kids. His touch when dealing children and the world through their eyes is delicate and combines a genuinely childlike perception of the world with the adult melancholia of knowing how transient it is. When he was at his finest, he walked they razor's edge of scary without being overly adult.
Old 05-18-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fandango has the runtime at 91 minutes. The original clocked in at 114 minutes.
Old 05-18-15, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

"We got no time for this building mood, creating tension, character-building shit!"
Old 05-19-15, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

RT has 2 reviews in, 1 rotten from Variety, and 1 fresh that isn't posted yet.
Old 05-19-15, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I was hoping for something good considering how much I loved Gil Kenan's last haunted house flick, and I liked the trailers, but the TV spots for this one just look terrible.
Old 05-19-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I really like the original film and even the sequels, but this doesn't look very good at all if you ask me. Maybe I'll catch it on HBO or rent it when its out but I doubt I'll see it in theaters.
Old 05-19-15, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
When he was at his finest, he walked they razor's edge of scary without being overly adult.
WTF??? He had a dinosaur try to eat two kids in Jurassic Park.
Old 05-19-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few reviews are coming in. 8 total and a 38% score. The avg rating is 5.8/10, which isn't terrible. Unless this gets down to Paul Blart/Hot Pursuit level reviews, I'll probably try to see it this weekend.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 05-19-15 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-21-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This opens at 8:00 pm tonight and there's only 13 reviews posted. That's...not a good sign.
Old 05-21-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I guess I never had high hopes for this film so if it isn't good I won't be too surprised or disappointed. Aside from the familiarity of the name from the original films it doesn't seem like something that's been highly anticipated.
Old 05-21-15, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like shit. I'll wait for HBO, maybe.
Old 05-21-15, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Fandango has the runtime at 91 minutes. The original clocked in at 114 minutes.
Without credits, the film clocks in at 86 minutes.

At least it was shot in native 3D?
Old 05-21-15, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

The historic Plaza Theatre here in Atlanta is doing a 24-hour marathon of the new Poltergeist movie starting tonight (Thu) at 8pm

24-hour marathon of Poltergeist 2015

(looking at the schedule, it's in reality a roughly a 27.5 hour marathon, from 8pm Thu until the 10pm showing Fri ends)
Old 05-21-15, 10:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Without credits, the film clocks in at 86 minutes.

At least it was shot in native 3D?
was that a question or an actual statement - I can't find anything online that actually confirms this fact.
Old 05-21-15, 10:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The trailers for this look absolutely wretched. I'm amazed anyone wants to see it.

And on top of it, they use the clown as the main promo image instead of the girl in front of the TV? Fucking geniuses in that marketing department.
Old 05-21-15, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe they're trying to say that it's different from the original?
Old 05-22-15, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm not even a big fan of the original movies, but this looks pretty weak. I feel bad for the actors involved, the trailer was one bad jump scare after another, and Jared Harris felt out of place. Just by watching the trailer I can tell the the movie will be loud as hell.
Old 05-22-15, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Yeah this was pretty lousy. It had a real fresh off the factory line feel to it full of cliched dialogue and worn out plot points. The acting and writing was disproportionate to how a real person would respond if a poltergeist swallowed your daughter and she started talking to you through the television. The way the events unfolded and built towards the climax felt like they happened not because it was an organic series of events, but because they had to happen because the plot demanded it.

That said it wasn't an outright AWFUL film, it had some decent scares and some good visual effects.

If it wasn't for that I would have rated it a 4/10. As it stands I guess I'd rate it 5.5/10

Thing is I didn't expect it to be very good. But I have a standing order to see every horror movie thats hits theaters, no matter how bad they look. Most of the time its a little better than this though. I've had some decent luck in the last couple years with films that I didn't think would be very good but that I wound up really enjoying, like Annabelle and Deliver Us From Evil. Next up is probably "The Gallows" which previewed before the movie. Looks halfway decent, hopefully it surprises me.
Old 05-22-15, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The RT score has gone up to 46%. That's higher than I expected.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 05-22-15 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-22-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Saw this last night.

The 3D had a lot of depth.

It was enjoyable. It really just breezed through the plot of the original. I noticed one change up in the plot. And that was it.

It was edited in that style where the filmmakers are terrified that the audience will get bored. And then what you sacrifice is the attachment you feel to the characters. Things happen abruptly that you feel like some more character stuff (even throwaway cliche moments) would have made those moments stronger.

I did really like that it has an almost-family-friendly tone. There's some scary stuff. But it's definitely a ghost movie you can take your kids to go see. And that's how I always viewed the original too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.