Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I cannot praise HBO anymore

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I cannot praise HBO anymore

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: I cannot praise HBO anymore

The target demographic for Magic Mike wouldn't have stood for non-OAR.
Old 06-17-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Around 1989 I noticed HBO was putting voiceovers during the end credits announcing upcoming stuff. I won't even pay for a channel that does THAT. Bottom line is if I'm paying for it, I want NO intrusions of any kind on the programming, which is why I won't have cable or satellite for a long time to come.
Old 06-17-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,501 Posts

HBO shows movies now?
Old 06-17-13, 05:32 PM

More than MTV plays music... (Another reason I don't have cable!)
Old 06-17-13, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I really wish they would stop playing Harry Potter movies 24:7 ... but other than that I have no complaints.
Old 06-17-13, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Outside of TCM and the now non-existent FMC, doest anyone broadcast OAR?
IFC did, back when I had cable. Maybe they do still?

It boggles my mind that in the era of widescreen TVs, movie channels are still showing cropped presentations.
Old 06-18-13, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Too late for that now. When we would watch it, the early one at 8pm Pacific Time it was always presented in 2.35:1. Then the encore or whatever, would start at 9pm in 1.78:1. I always found it strange, because the first two seasons on Blu-ray are in 1.78:1.
im gonna guess the west coast feed has it stretched
Old 06-18-13, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

A) I also hate when any network does that split screen during the credits. Sometimes I want to see the credits. Either that or they'll speed them up - or both. Are 20 seconds more commercials that important?

B) It truly is odd that we still see "This film has been formatted to fit your screen". "Compressed for time and content" if it's on a basic network, I guess, still makes sense, though I don't like that.

C) When did HBO start showing (soft) AO films? Is that recent?

D) I find it humorous that IFC plays films like Batman, Batman and Robin, and Batman Forever. About as un-independent as you can get.

E) I have actually been watching something on MTV. Girl Code. Kidding, actually it's Awkward.

F) VH1 classic plays 120 minutes. But they break the episodes into 1 hour blocks. "120 Minutes: Alternative videos. Running time: 60 minutes."
Old 06-18-13, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
IFC did, back when I had cable. Maybe they do still?
I think they still do sometimes, though since they've started running advertising, they've been editing a few things. IFC now stands for "Includes Frequent Commercials." Even the Sundance Channel shows commercials now.

It boggles my mind that in the era of widescreen TVs, movie channels are still showing cropped presentations.
People who don't know any better probably still don't like the dreaded "black bars."

Originally Posted by dtcarson
A) I also hate when any network does that split screen during the credits. Sometimes I want to see the credits. Either that or they'll speed them up - or both. Are 20 seconds more commercials that important?
Probably, yes, they probably have to cram in commercials in every possible second to get enough revenue.

It truly is odd that we still see "This film has been formatted to fit your screen". "Compressed for time and content" if it's on a basic network, I guess, still makes sense, though I don't like that.
At least the tell you. Outside of TCM and the premium channels, I don't think anyone wants to show stuff uncut to scare away advertisers, although I've noticed that depending on what time of day stuff shows, there do seem to be edits that are cut more or less.

When did HBO start showing (soft) AO films? Is that recent?
I was in school when I heard the "Skinemax" jokes, I just assumed HBO had always done the same. Sundance was showing Room in Rome last night, that had a reputation as being full of sexual stuff.

I find it humorous that IFC plays films like Batman, Batman and Robin, and Batman Forever. About as un-independent as you can get.
They played the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake recently too. Whatever you think of Michael Bay, independent he is not. They show all kinds of big studio movies now.

Apparently there are still a few hours a day where FXM is still FMC. I managed to record The Flim-Flam Man off of it in SD before it changed, why is the dam DVD so expensive?!

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 06-18-13 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-18-13, 11:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

A black woman talking is the LAST thing Game of Thrones viewers want to see.
Old 06-18-13, 04:50 PM

And looks like Cartoon Network has been showing some live-action stuff recently as well. But anyone who hasn't given up on cable by now will take anything.
Old 06-18-13, 05:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
And looks like Cartoon Network has been showing some live-action stuff recently as well. But anyone who hasn't given up on cable by now will take anything.
really? what?
Old 06-18-13, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,501 Posts

CN started that years ago, I think. Now they have some kids sketch comedy called Incredible Crew that they advertise all the time (at least Annoying Orange is more cartoony), but I think they had such gems as Hole in the Wall a few years ago. I think they show live action movies sometimes too.

I subscribe to HBO for the original series, plus sometimes accessing movies/shows on the ipad via HBO Go. I'm not going to channel surf and catch a movie in the middle, and my DVR is normally full of other things, so I don't really watch movies on the channels. As long as they keep doing stuff like GoT, I'm in, otherwise all the movie channels kinda blend together for me.
Old 06-19-13, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

CN started broadcasting live-action stuff years ago, when I was a kid, I wasn't smart enough to know what a great thing it was with all of the classics they showed, and I grew up with Toonami and Adult Swim when I first got into anime, but every since I could get stuff I wanted uncut from Netflix, I haven't watched it much. And Boomerang shows Samurai Jack out of order for some reason.