Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

are criterions for douche-bags

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

are criterions for douche-bags

Old 06-14-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts
Re: are criterions for douche-bags

You can say whatever you want about Spottedfeather, but he delivers.

Moviefan 2k4 is busy over on the Spielberg implosion thread very helpfully telling the movie industry how to solve its problems (and ours), so he's not available to weigh in here, which begs the next question: where is Buttmunker when we need him?
Old 06-14-13, 01:40 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Criterions are for film lovers. They're for film snobs. They're for OCD collectors. They're for J6P who thinks "Armageddon" is a jack off worthy film.

And they're also for douchebags.
Old 06-14-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Maybe 99% was a bit high. But my point still stands. The vast majority of the films that Criterion puts out aren't known by the vast majority of people.
For the sake of argument, let's say this is true. Why does does liking these movies make someone a douche bag?
Old 06-14-13, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, generally the people that like those kinds of movies are douchebags, aren't they ? I'm not saying all, but it's a pretty good bet that most are....
Old 06-14-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. When I think of douchebags, I think of people into The Hangover movies, or Apatow. Not Criterion.
Old 06-14-13, 02:49 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Well, generally the people that like those kinds of movies are douchebags, aren't they ? I'm not saying all, but it's a pretty good bet that most are....
Your comment reeks of douchebaggery.
Old 06-14-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

If you weren't on the list before, you are now!
Old 06-14-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

If you've never even heard of any of the movies, then how would you know what kind of movies they are let alone which people like them? Do you pass some douche bag on the street and think "hmm, I bet there's some movie out there that I don't know exists and I bet that d-bag over there likes it!"? That seem like an awfully uninformed opinion.
Old 06-14-13, 04:17 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

You've never heard of The Game with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn directed by David Fincher. By virtue of being a member here for 8 years you should have certainly crossed its path at some point. Why are you even a member of a movie message board if you've never even heard of Paths of Glory? So maybe you haven't seen it, that's no big deal, but never EVEN HEARD OF IT!!! You've never heard of the Gold Rush with fucking Charlie Chaplin!!! It's one if the most popular films ever made. Why are you here?

And people who like Godzilla are douches how exactly?
Old 06-14-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
If they like the Perry Mason version better, they are douches.
Old 06-14-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Spottedfeather, since you've shown an interest in anime on the anime board here, I'd like to suggest to you that it wouldn't hurt at all to explore some of the roots of anime in classic Japanese films, of which Criterion has quite a few. I'd start, of course, with GOJIRA, the original Japanese version of GODZILLA, and then try out the SAMURAI trilogy (SAMURAI I, SAMURAI II, SAMURAI III, 1954-56), three of Japan's earliest color movies, which together chronicle the early life of master swordsman Musashi Miyamoto. If you get through those, then make the leap to three of Akira Kurosawa's best, SEVEN SAMURAI, RASHOMON, and YOJIMBO. (There have been anime series based on SEVEN SAMURAI and YOJIMBO.) There are more I can suggest after that, but let's leave it at that for now. Afterwards, I'm hoping you'll change your mind about what kind of people like these films.
Old 06-14-13, 04:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mabuse
You've never heard of The Game with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn directed by David Fincher. By virtue of being a member here for 8 years you should have certainly crossed its path at some point. Why are you even a member of a movie message board if you've never even heard of Paths of Glory? So maybe you haven't seen it, that's no big deal, but never EVEN HEARD OF IT!!! You've never heard of the Gold Rush with fucking Charlie Chaplin!!! It's one if the most popular films ever made. Why are you here?

It's remarks like this that keeps me thinking the way I do....

I didn't say people that like Godzilla are douches. It's the people that praise Criterion that are....odd, to say the least. They keep talking about all these films that very few people have heard of. Reminds me of this....
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M0LGvTJWBsM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Mabuse...which one are you ?

I've heard of Gold Rush. And I've heard of David Fincher, Michael Douglas, and Sean Penn. Just never heard of that particular movie.
Old 06-14-13, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Spottedfeather, since you've shown an interest in anime on the anime board here, I'd like to suggest to you that it wouldn't hurt at all to explore some of the roots of anime in classic Japanese films, of which Criterion has quite a few. I'd start, of course, with GOJIRA, the original Japanese version of GODZILLA, and then try out the SAMURAI trilogy (SAMURAI I, SAMURAI II, SAMURAI III, 1954-56), three of Japan's earliest color movies, which together chronicle the early life of master swordsman Musashi Miyamoto. If you get through those, then make the leap to three of Akira Kurosawa's best, SEVEN SAMURAI, RASHOMON, and YOJIMBO. (There have been anime series based on SEVEN SAMURAI and YOJIMBO.) There are more I can suggest after that, but let's leave it at that for now. Afterwards, I'm hoping you'll change your mind about what kind of people like these films.
Haven't seen the Samurai movies, but I love Seven Samurai and Yojimbo. And the Japanese version of Godzilla is alright. I just prefer the American version. It's not a subtitle thing. Let The Right One In is a great movie, as are the 3 90s Gamera movies.
Old 06-14-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very few people have heard of.
Old 06-14-13, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Not that Spottedfeather will see this comment, but I can see someone hearing about The Game and not remembering it later since the title is so generic.

I heard about it years ago but didn't see it till last year on the crappy non-anamorphic DVD, then rewatched it on the shiny new Criterion BD.
Old 06-14-13, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the people that praise Criterion that are....odd, to say the least. They keep talking about all these films that very few people have heard of.
And...? I frequent a few message boards where they regularly talk about movies that have never even been officially released on home video (you have to either wait for a theatrical retrospective or track down some old recording off of 1980s Finnish television.) It's pretty clear that those posters are passionate about movies and really enjoy a lot of the things they watch - so why should it bother anyone that a lot of those movies are almost completely forgotten today? If you find that you really enjoy a lot of obscure movies, it'd be silly to not share some hidden gem you discovered just because most people haven't heard of it. There have been tens (hundreds?) of thousands of feature-length movies made since the beginning of film - it shouldn't be too surprising that some great films have slipped through the cracks and are almost completely unknown.

Now, if they were saying "these old 1930s Weimar Republic musicals are awesome and anyone who doesn't like them is a moron" - yeah, that would be douchey. But people simply talking about things that interest them and that they find enjoyable - well, I have a hard time finding that odd or "douchebaggish."

On a side note, the average poster on this site is not representative of the "average Joe." The very fact that we post on a forum dedicated to movies and DVD collecting would make us "weird" and "odd" (to say the least) to a lot of people. Yeah, you're unlikely to run into someone on the street having a discussion about Ingmar Bergman or Akira Kurosawa (even though they are among the most influential directors of all time.) In fact, the average person could probably only name 5 or 6 film directors, and maybe 10 or 15 films made before 1970.

Last edited by Sondheim; 06-14-13 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-14-13, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Out of all the Criterion dvds and blu-rays that I've seen a list of, other than The Blob, I've heard of probably only 2 or 3 of the movies.
This reflects far more poorly on you than it does Criterion.
Old 06-14-13, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spottedfeather is in way, way over his head in this thread. Ouch.
Old 06-14-13, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

And the Japanese version of Godzilla is alright. I just prefer the American version.
The Matthew Broderick version!? Get the fuck outta here!
Old 06-14-13, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The Matthew Broderick version!? Get the fuck outta here!
Old 06-14-13, 06:36 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I've heard of Gold Rush.
But you said you had not heard of the Gold Rush. Which is it? Also, I can't see the video.
Old 06-14-13, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
Czechoslovakian films of the 1960s
There's some gold in that category.
Old 06-15-13, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
Czechoslovakian films of the 1960s
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
There's some gold in that category.
One of the greatest films ever made.
And if I'm a douchebag for liking it, so be it.

The Shop On Main Street

Last edited by inri222; 06-15-13 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-15-13, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

Since I am on the elitist & snobbish Spottedfeather "ignore list', he will not be able to read this comment, but I would rather be a snob than be anything close to what he is as a film watcher.

It's close minded, LCD movie goers like him that make me proud to be on his ignore list and happy that I can embrace all types of films and not limit myself to whatever mainstream Hollywood throws at me. I am a true film fanatic, Danny Peary's book is my bible , and I thank Spottedfeather's God for that.
Old 06-15-13, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
I was making fun of those threads in my sheep game... then i did this. It has been a bad day...
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gH476CxJxfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.