Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

This is the End (Goldberg/Rogen, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

This is the End (Goldberg/Rogen, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Old 06-17-13, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Re: This is the End (Goldberg/Rogen, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I liked it a lot but had a few issues - like the weird scene where the devil shows up with an erect penis in Jonah Hill's bed... that and the title card 'The Exorcism of Jonah Hill' felt like they were from an entirely different movie...I don't mind if he somehow gets possessed but if the devil can just show up any time, rape you and have you possessed by a demon, why not do that to everyone right away... the 'rules' of this apocalypse weren't well enough established for my liking... I know I'm overthinking it..and I still thought it was 4 star hilarious....but that moment and that damn title card were really jarring and took me out of the whole thing from there on out. However, the final scene was pretty damn brilliant.
I interpreted it as follows. The guys were still alive because God (or whatever) had decided that they might still be worthy of saving and their ordeal was a test to see how they would react. When Jonah...

Spoiler:
prayed to have Jay die it proved that he was not worthy of saving so he was given to the devil for raping.

This is why he was the only victim of that. As for why McBride was able to stick around, well, I guess you have to assume that he was basically another test of their goodness.

Anyway, saw this Saturday night in a crowded theater and had fun. This is definitely one that would be much better in a crowded room than on DVD. I was hoping to get more laughs than I did, but it was still pretty funny.
Old 06-19-13, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This movie was awesome fun. It was nice to go to the movies and just laugh your ass off. Sure, not every joke worked, but their batting average was high enough. I am looking forward to seeing it again.

Shame Emma Watson left. I thought she was pretty effective with the ax. Would've been nice to see her again. I don't know what movie she thought she was signing up for. Those guys acting nuts and
Spoiler:
Channing dancing around
just seems like win too me.

Here's to a an awesome blu ray release. They must have a ton of clips and bloopers to share.
Old 06-21-13, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,603 Posts

Freaking hilarious movie. So over the top, but I laughed my ass off.

Amazing how they combined a stoner comedy and end of world post-apocalyptic thriller into one movie.

Great cast with so many notable names in comedy. I was surprised that everyone was playing themselves.

at the cameo of:

Spoiler:
Channing Tatum playing Danny McBride's bitch.

Also, I was surprised at the running time of almost 2 hours. I'd love to see how much deleted material that was.

Loved the ending with the heaven sequence:

Spoiler:

And the cameo appearance from the Backstreet Boys. That was so random and unexpected.

If those reports about Watson were indeed true, I think she totally over-reacted, especially if she read the script. She should have known what kind of movie and set behavior she was getting into when she signed on to this movie.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-21-13 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-22-13, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Saw it tonight and thought it was a total blast. I loved the fact that everyone was playing exaggerated versions of themselves and you could tell by watching it that the cast had a ton of fun making this. I sometimes get sort of sick of these end of the world/apocalyptic type of films but the twist of it being that type of a film combined with over the top humor made it totally work for me. Can't wait to get the Blu-ray release and hopefully a bunch of deleted footage. Also have to say this movie made me wish that Rogen and Franco and company would do a real sequel to Pineapple Express.
Old 06-22-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think my favorite celeb appearance in this was by Jason Segel
Old 06-22-13, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Finally saw it today...I'll give it a B-

The first half was hilarious...the second half not so much - it's like they wanted to turn it into a horror version of Ghostbusters or something - it just got stupid (and not in the way the first half was fun-stupid...just stupid-stupid). Still, it's worth seeing.
Old 06-22-13, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Starts great, sags a little, ends well (minus BSB).
Old 06-23-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by onebyone
This movie was awesome fun. It was nice to go to the movies and just laugh your ass off. Sure, not every joke worked, but their batting average was high enough. I am looking forward to seeing it again.

Shame Emma Watson left. I thought she was pretty effective with the ax. Would've been nice to see her again. I don't know what movie she thought she was signing up for. Those guys acting nuts and
Spoiler:
Channing dancing around
just seems like win too me.
She had a problem with that, but was OK with the rapey scene?

Anyway, this movie is a blast. It's one of those films where it's much more fun seeing it with a big crowd. Everyone was totally into it.
Old 06-23-13, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Starts great, sags a little, ends well (minus BSB).
Really? I'm not much a fan of them but I found that part absolutely hilarious just because of how random and goofy it was. Also seemed cool to me that they were willing to do that and poke fun at themselves a little.
Old 06-23-13, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I enjoyed everything about this. Probably the most i've laughed at the theater since the original Hangover, and I think this might eclipse it. The Franco/McBridge cum argument was absolutely hilarious, I couldn't hear half the conversation because of the audience laughing. I usually dislike McBride, so watching him play the giant douche seemed pretty accurate to me. I can't wait to see what kind of shit will find it's way to the DVD/Blu-ray release.
Old 06-23-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I enjoyed everything about this. Probably the most i've laughed at the theater since the original Hangover, and I think this might eclipse it. The Franco/McBridge cum argument was absolutely hilarious, I couldn't hear half the conversation because of the audience laughing. I usually dislike McBride, so watching him play the giant douche seemed pretty accurate to me. I can't wait to see what kind of shit will find it's way to the DVD/Blu-ray release.
I'm not that familiar with McBride except for his part in Pineapple Express which I liked and thought he was okay in. His HBO series, Eastbound and Down from what I've seen isn't really for me. I thought he was hilarious in this though. I agree though definitely one of the best comedies in a long time. Just loved the fact that it was such an all star cast with them playing exagerrated versions of themselves.
Old 06-23-13, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Really? I'm not much a fan of them but I found that part absolutely hilarious just because of how random and goofy it was. Also seemed cool to me that they were willing to do that and poke fun at themselves a little.
It just didn't work for me, I like random but I found it more cringe inducing than anything. It was just kind of a blah final gag to an otherwise clever movie.
Old 06-24-13, 11:54 AM

I thought the BSB ending was a fun way to end it. Having them all do the "Everybody" dance in Heaven just seems like a humorous way to go out.

Loved the movie, will definitely be picking it up on DVD.
Old 06-24-13, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

Robinson drinking his pee in a margarita glass and Seth move afterwards made me laugh the hardest.
Old 06-24-13, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHive08

Loved the movie, will definitely be picking it up on DVD.
I loved it too, but I may skip the BD/DVD. I don't think it will be as fun on multiple viewings and without a crowd.
Old 06-24-13, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Saw it again. I laughed a lot, but not as much as the first time.

We had a pretty lousy crowd. Nobody laughed much at all during the long Franco-McBride cum argument.
Old 06-25-13, 10:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

very entertaining and actually fun. It wasn't laugh out loud funny throughout, which I was lead to believe, but it did have many moments that illicited giggles at least from me and most of the audience. Like that this was loosely scripted and actors played themselves for most part. The Michael Cera stuff was gold.

Very solid and enjoyable.
Old 06-26-13, 07:52 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Director Evan Goldberg tells Screen he is up for a sequel - but Seth Rogen might need some convincing.

Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen, the duo behind Superbad and Pineapple Express, were in London this week to promote their new comedy, which is released in the UK by Sony this weekend.

With the $31m-budgeted spoof about six friends facing the apocalypse having grossed $57.8m after two weeks in the US, Screen asked Goldberg about the prospect of a sequel.

“If you ask me, I’d say there’s a good chance of sequel,” said Goldberg, who co-directed the comedy with Rogan. “If you ask Seth, he’d say no. So, we’ll see.”

Real-life friends James Franco, Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride and Craig Robinson star as the six friends fending off the apocalypse, while there are cameos from the likes of Rihanna, Emma Watson, the Backstreet Boys, Channing Tatum and Paul Rudd.

Corralling that level of talent for a follow-up film would pose a challenge, according to Goldberg, who said: “We lucked out that they were all available. I honestly don’t know if we could get the guys together.”

That hasn’t stopped Goldberg, Rogen and their Point Grey Pictures outfit from brainstorming possible plotlines.

“We actually talked about doing a sequel where it starts at the premiere of This is the End,” Goldberg revealed. “Seth’s a cokehead in this version, Michael Cera is a calm dude with a boyfriend, Rihanna and The Backstreet Boys are back.

“We have a lot of ideas: a heaven and hell, for example, and a garden of Eden version where Danny [McBride] is Adam.”
Full interview: http://www.screendaily.com/reports/i...057724.article
Old 06-27-13, 11:05 PM
Suspended

Who goes to LA and immediately asks for Carl's Jr. is my question, I live here whenever friends come we go straight to In N Out on Sepulveda.
Old 06-28-13, 04:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how they could cast Rhianna in this. Why would they want anything to do with her ? Also, I just read the plot on themoviespoiler.com, and.....damn. Was the movie really as idiotic as the description ?

Last edited by Spottedfeather; 06-28-13 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-28-13, 04:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Who goes to LA and immediately asks for Carl's Jr. is my question, I live here whenever friends come we go straight to In N Out on Sepulveda.
Maybe they just like Hardee's ?
Old 06-28-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I don't see how they could cast Rhianna in this. Why would they want anything to do with her ? Also, I just read the plot on themoviespoiler.com, and.....damn. Was the movie really as idiotic as the description ?
It's a small role, and since she's playing herself it works just fine.

And if by idiotic you mean fucking awesome, then yes.
Old 06-28-13, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
a canadian
Old 06-28-13, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Carl's Jr > Hardees

Regardless - some people have their thing. In n Out is overrated anyhow.
Old 06-28-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Carl's Jr > Hardees

Regardless - some people have their thing. In n Out is overrated anyhow.
I always thought that they were the same company and the only thing is that regionally they're known by 2 different names (like Checkers/Rallys)

EDIT: Full Discosure, I've never eaten at or even seen a Carl's Jr., this was just my assumption based on the fact that they have the same logo and commericals.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 06-28-13 at 10:54 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.