Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Iconic characters who died poorly

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Iconic characters who died poorly

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Iconic characters who died poorly

Originally Posted by arminius
That was the clincher, as you said, not just what DV says but how he says it and BFs reaction.
And yet no one says Grand Moff Tarkin is a badass. Dude acted like Vader's superior officer. He actually ordered him to stop force choking another officer at one point.
Old 05-30-13, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter Cushing will always be a badass
Old 05-30-13, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Damn, this became another friggin' Star Wars thread.
Old 05-30-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Meglos
And yet no one says Grand Moff Tarkin is a badass. Dude acted like Vader's superior officer. He actually ordered him to stop force choking another officer at one point.
Actually, plenty of people have questioned that. I always found it odd that Vader went from being his bitch to second only to the Emperor. You'd think the Emperor would simply promote someone else to hold Vader's leash.
Old 05-30-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Because if he didn't he will drive a stake right through his heart.
Old 05-30-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Actually, plenty of people have questioned that. I always found it odd that Vader went from being his bitch to second only to the Emperor. You'd think the Emperor would simply promote someone else to hold Vader's leash.
I took it as more of a formal thing. Tarkin was the commanding officer of The Death Star ans it was uncouth for Vader to make a display like that.
Old 05-30-13, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Which makes his limited time and horrible death in VI all the stranger. Lucas had to know his popularity at the time yet didn't really write anything for him to do after delivering Han to Jabba.
It's because Lucas probably fooled himself into thinking ROTJ would be the last Star Wars movie. Bobs Fett might not have even got that small amount of time if it weren't for the kids going gaga for him. Not enough time to try to wrap everything up and for the ewoks.
Old 05-30-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Serenity (Firefly movie)

Spoiler:

Hoban "Wash" Washburne
Old 05-30-13, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regardless of how iconic he may be to the fandom...he's not iconic. I did enjoy his presence though. The other guy had a weak end. W's end was good. Took you off guard and he went down right after a very nice scene of his.
Old 05-30-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
For me, Boba Fett jumped the shark in the re-release of Episode IV, where Lucas wasn't content with just adding him into a scene, he actually had the camera linger on the character while he broke the fourth wall and mugged for the camera.
And it's hard to mug the camera while wearing a helmet that covers your entire head.
Old 05-30-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

No, no, he was definitely duck lipping for the photo.
Old 05-30-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Then he DESERVED to die.
Old 05-30-13, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No country for old men?

I understand it was following a book, but this was a fucking movie. I still enjoy it; but there is a real problem with a movie when the character you are rooting for the whole time, goes off and dies off camera.

And when I realize that I am too old to do what I do, I will just sit down and say that "I am too old for this shit".
Old 05-30-13, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
No country for old men?

I understand it was following a book, but this was a fucking movie. I still enjoy it; but there is a real problem with a movie when the character you are rooting for the whole time, goes off and dies off camera.

And when I realize that I am too old to do what I do, I will just sit down and say that "I am too old for this shit".
Watch Charlie Varrick instead. A much better heist movie, with a much smarter character.
Old 05-30-13, 07:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tarkin was a bureaucratic weasel, who only had authority because the Emperor gave it to him. Otherwise, Vader would've killed him without hesitation.
Old 05-30-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Watch Charlie Varrick instead. A much better heist movie, with a much smarter character.
Will do thanks....
Old 05-30-13, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Damn, this became another friggin' Star Wars thread.
These fucking nerds.

Old 05-31-13, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Match
Serenity (Firefly movie)

Spoiler:

Hoban "Wash" Washburne
Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Regardless of how iconic he may be to the fandom...he's not iconic. I did enjoy his presence though. The other guy had a weak end. W's end was good. Took you off guard and he went down right after a very nice scene of his.
Agree with Snake. That was a vey good scene though I hated to see him die. The other guy though seemed like it was done without much thought. I think it would have been better if they showed him fighting and getting killed and then have him still barely alive when they found him.
Old 05-31-13, 08:08 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. He was so small of a role. He was actually one of my favorites of the cast. I always liked his dialogue.
Old 05-31-13, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Match
Serenity (Firefly movie)

Spoiler:

Hoban "Wash" Washburne
I'm on the fence on this one. The problem is that the Firefly series planted the seeds hoping for several seasons of TV. Then it got cancelled and tried wrapping up as much as possible in one movie.

Whedon really likes to kill characters in his series finales too. The finale of Buffy featured another fairly unceremonious death for a longstanding character, though the one in the Angel finale was very fitting.

The other death in Serenity

Spoiler:
Book, on the other hand I thought was handled quite well. The series was building him up with some sort of dark & violent past that led up to him being a preacher. Serenity still never specifically addresses this, but the prevailing theory is that Book was an operative, which is illustrated by the villain of the movie.
Old 05-31-13, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
No country for old men?

Here we go again. You are not supposed to be rooting for him or his wife for that matter (we don't see her getting whacked either). His story (Llewelyn) is only told to reinforce the ideals of the sheriff, who is the main character of the story.

Last edited by inri222; 05-31-13 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-31-13, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like Charley Varrick a lot, but no way is it better than NCFOM.
Old 05-31-13, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattflix
The other death in Serenity

Spoiler:
Book, on the other hand I thought was handled quite well. The series was building him up with some sort of dark & violent past that led up to him being a preacher. Serenity still never specifically addresses this, but the prevailing theory is that Book was an operative, which is illustrated by the villain of the movie.
That was my view of it as well but apparently Whedon's brother wrote a comic book that shat all over that theory and created a minor plot hole with an episode of Firefly.
Old 05-31-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by inri222
Here we go again. You are not supposed to be rooting for him or his wife for that matter (we don't see her getting whacked either). His story (Llewelyn) is only told to reinforce the ideals of the sheriff, who is the main character of the story.
Here we go again...... with someone telling me how I am supposed to think.
Old 05-31-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
No, there were no comics or books featuring Boba Fett before the movies. People just basically latched onto him because he looks cool and has a jetpack.
There was a BIG marketing push before the movie came out with the character's silhouette on posters, preview toys, and commercials. Basically, people cared about him because they were told to. He was never a side character that people just latched onto grass-roots-style.