Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

10 Years Since the Year of the Matrix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

It's been a decade since Newsweek proclaimed that 2003 would be the "Year of the Matrix" due to the two sequels to the original film being released that year, roughly 6 months apart ("The Matrix Reloaded" was released wide in May 2003, "The Matrix Revolutions" was released wide in November 2003).

photo fdca9228-2dba-4674-b6d4-01af2e25b244_zps1cc315d7.jpg

Of course that proclamation was pretty absurd for that magazine to make even before anyone saw the sequels and was just more absurd afterwards, when most people found them to be disappointing (at the very least). But that was the hype back 10 years ago. How do you think the movies have held up watching them again more recently without all the hype surrounding the time when they were originally released?

Old 05-27-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: 10 Years Since the Year of the Matrix

The Matrix sequels are prime examples of movies being less than the sum of their parts. There are some amazing action and FX sequences in both of them...but, the films as a whole? There's a reason why there have been not so much as a prequel and or reboot in the works after a decade. In fact, the only Matrix-related thing in the last 10 I've seen was this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y0Ixn_Y2bIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-27-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Some movies just don't need sequels. Matrix 1 was open-ended but if they just left it as is it would've been regarded as a classic standalone science fiction film like Blade Runner.
Old 05-27-13, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love The Matrix much more for what it brought to filmmaking than what it brought to it's narrative. The Matrix is a great film as it is. The sequels were not as good. Though somewhere in Reloaded there is a very fucking good film. Revolutions was excess and to fail as a whole.

Saying that, I love the franchise flawed as it is. A lot of imagination just wish the narrative was as strong. I still think the Burly Brawl could have been so much better but I do admire it.
Old 05-27-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I remember enjoying part two. then thinking, "what was the point of part two?" after I saw part three.
Old 05-27-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Haven't seen either of them since the "Year of the Matrix."
Old 05-27-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a sequel that is superior to "The Matrix" buried somewhere in this but you have to put up with too much pretentious pseudo-intellectual pothead philosophy nonsense to get to it. There's a certain kind of person who will put up with three movies worth of nonsense (including Animatrix) plus a terrible video game to get to the worthwhile content. It's called an insane person.

The impressive special effects and setpieces also hurt the original film which seems small and dated by comparison.

People bash on George Lucas and Star Wars but The Matrix was in the position to be a real epic sci-fi contender in 1999 and people don't really even talk about the first film anymore. The world has moved on from The Matrix. There's no merchandise. No video games or comics or books. The home video releases were non-events. No real buzz or demand of any kind for any Matrix continuation.
Old 05-27-13, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
There's a sequel that is superior to "The Matrix" buried somewhere in this but you have to put up with too much pretentious pseudo-intellectual pothead philosophy nonsense to get to it.
Man, you should listen to the "Philosophers Track" on the Blu rays (or SE DVD sets). Ken Wilber and Dr. Cornel West do some pontificating and reading things into these movies to beat the band.
Old 05-27-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I always picture the Wachowskis smoking pot with Donald Sutherland's character from Animal House whenever they try to be philosophical. The first movie is guilty of this too, there's just more of it in the sequels. The scene in the original with the spoon boy is a groan-inducing embarrassment.

But then again there's also the scene where every sentence that comes out of Col. Sanders' mouth features the word "ergo."
Old 05-27-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I still feel if you were to edit down Reloaded and Revolutions to one movie, while adding the two or three scenes from Enter the Matrix that mattered at all, you'd have one rock solid sequel to the first movie.

And, yes, the philosophers track is hilarious.

Originally Posted by PatD
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y0Ixn_Y2bIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Did he issue a long winded complaint against this acting gig as well?
Old 05-27-13, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me...I pretty much consider anything to do with Zion in Revolutions....shit. I think the Mech suits are neat but it's pretty much all shit. Hate the Kid, hate the predictability of dialogue, etc.
Old 05-27-13, 04:58 PM

The Animatrix was pretty cool. In fact "The Final Flight of the Osiris" and "The Second Renaissance" parts I and II annihilate both of the live action sequels.

Why is there such a disconnect in quality?

Last edited by PatD; 05-27-13 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-27-13, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PatD
The Animatrix was pretty cool. In fact "The Last Flight of the Osiris" and "The Second Renaissance" parts I and II annihilate both of the live action sequels.

Why is there such a disconnect in quality?
I still think The Animatrix is wildly uneven too, and for the most part the better segments were the ones the Wachowskis wrote. I know a lot of fanboys jump at the chance to over-praise stuff that isn't written by the original creator (see the inevitable "better than the prequels! BLANK gets Star Wars more than Lucas!" comments that pop up in any expanded universe discussion) but its true.

I'd probably incorporate a large part of Final Flight of the Osiris into a fan edit of the good parts of the sequels if I were inclined to make one.
Old 05-27-13, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a sequel that is superior to "The Matrix" buried somewhere in this but you have to put up with too much pretentious pseudo-intellectual pothead philosophy nonsense to get to it. There's a certain kind of person who will put up with three movies worth of nonsense (including Animatrix) plus a terrible video game to get to the worthwhile content. It's called an insane person.

The impressive special effects and setpieces also hurt the original film which seems small and dated by comparison.

People bash on George Lucas and Star Wars but The Matrix was in the position to be a real epic sci-fi contender in 1999 and people don't really even talk about the first film anymore. The world has moved on from The Matrix. There's no merchandise. No video games or comics or books. The home video releases were non-events. No real buzz or demand of any kind for any Matrix continuation.
There WERE video games for the Matrix.

Enter The Matrix
Path Of Neo
The Matrix Online

And there were comics.

The Matrix Comics
Old 05-27-13, 07:16 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was there a Gameboy game?
Old 05-27-13, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

They alluded to too much in the first movie. Because it made lots of money, the sequels had to be made. If they weren't, there would still be a large amount of people today begging for it.
Old 05-27-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
There WERE video games for the Matrix.

Enter The Matrix
Path Of Neo
The Matrix Online

And there were comics.

The Matrix Comics
I'm well aware. I have both volumes of the comics. They're largely comprised of print versions of webcomics that predate the 2003 multimedia project anyway, and the 2nd volume is still like 8 or 9 years old.

They burned the video game bridge themselves. Their level of involvement on all 3 was a big selling point and even so all 3 were colossal failures. Path of Neo was supposedly decent but it's been doomed to obscurity by being released literally days before the 360 launched with no backwards compatibility support.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 05-27-13 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-27-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Matrix - 4/5
Reloaded - 2/5
Revolutions - 1/5
Old 05-27-13, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, to be fair, I do remember the sequels cleaning up at the following year's Academy Awards.
Old 05-27-13, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Well, to be fair, I do remember the sequels cleaning up at the following year's Academy Awards.
Those back to back best actor Oscars that Keanu Reeves won were quite an achievement.
Old 05-27-13, 08:20 PM

I still think The Animatrix is wildly uneven too, and for the most part the better segments were the ones the Wachowskis wrote.
No kidding. The film noir segment ("A Detective Story") of The Animatrix was utter horseshit. However, the one called "Matriculated" had some of the trippy, out of the box stuff the sequels were bereft of.
Old 05-27-13, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

My favorite Animatrix segment was Beyond. It had no grand story to tell and had no real bearing on anything in the movies. It was just an interesting look at how those plugged in would perceive and interact with a glitch in the Matrix.
Old 05-27-13, 09:50 PM
Banned

I like the story behind all three films, but the content issues really bothered me, especially the nudity and increased language in the sequels. The violence wasn't very bloody at all in any of them, so I was cool with it.
Old 05-27-13, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

It's been awhile since I've seen them but, nudity?
Old 05-27-13, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It's been awhile since I've seen them but, nudity?
I think there was a bit of nudity in the bizarre multiracial dance party that went on forever in part 2.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.