Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

R.I.P. The drive-in. Final nail in coffin.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-26-13, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Saw a story on local tv news. Since studios are abandoning film for digital projection drive-ins are left out to dry. It appears, according to this story, drive-ins are still using 35mm projectors and it would cost them $300,000 per drive-in to convert. Most, if not all, won't be able to afford it and will call it day. One local drive-in is selling t-shirts to try and raise the money for conversion. Any one know of a drive-in with digital projection?
I assume they could specialize in older films where film prints exists. Don't know if that would be profitable business model. Anyone know of full time drive-in that survives solely on older films, never showing newer releases?
Old 05-26-13, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: R.I.P. The drive-in. Final nail in coffin.

I was worried about this... but... We still have two local drive-ins. Both of them are in a pretty sad state of disrepair but I still try to go and patronize them from time to time just for the nostalgia of it all. Light 'polution' slowly has crept in and helped to nearly ruin this experience but it's still fun to take my 'kids' (ages 17 and 22) and sit back in our car and enjoy.
Old 05-26-13, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Mendon Drive-In went digital in the past year. I didn't realize that it costs so much.

I like the idea of just showing older films, but I'm not confident that many people would support it.
Old 05-26-13, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

That will suck tremendously. We go to a drive-in in Bristol all summer long. $16 for 3 people to see 2 movies. We take my wife's Element, pop the back, open a cooler of food and drinks and enjoy family time. I dread the day that comes to an end.
Old 05-26-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts

My local drive-in went digital this year. They also started including vegan options at the snack bar.

http://www.canviewdrivein.com/canviewplay.html
Old 05-26-13, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I don't think this problem is generally just for drive in's, but any smaller theater that isn't part of a huge chain.
Old 05-26-13, 06:58 PM

There are only two drive-ins left in the SF Bay Area, and both have converted to digital.

fitprod
Old 05-26-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Yeah, there are drive ins with digital in my area as well. I haven't been but have checked out sites. And this problem, like said, doesn't just affect drive-ins, but small theaters. And on top of that, businesses that depend on customers that go to theaters. Luckily the one near my Grandparent's house has been saved, but it was closed for a few months for the first time in like 70 years while they worked out funding.
Old 05-26-13, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The single drive-in in the Chicago area (and calling it Chicago is generous) just went digital this year. I believe they even but up an Indie GoGo or Kickstarter to help fund it.
Old 05-26-13, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Saw a story on local tv news. Since studios are abandoning film for digital projection drive-ins are left out to dry. It appears, according to this story, drive-ins are still using 35mm projectors and it would cost them $300,000 per drive-in to convert. Most, if not all, won't be able to afford it and will call it day. One local drive-in is selling t-shirts to try and raise the money for conversion. Any one know of a drive-in with digital projection?
I assume they could specialize in older films where film prints exists. Don't know if that would be profitable business model. Anyone know of full time drive-in that survives solely on older films, never showing newer releases?

Some drive ins are using KS to raise money for digital conversion. Not sure 300k is the right amount:

Here is a link to one I supported in Washington:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thepudgere...line-drive-in/

Cost was about 80k per screen
Old 05-26-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe article is taking into consideration that many drive-ins have more then one screen. A local one here has 3-4 screens. So at 80K per screen it might be as high as $32K to update the whole drive-in.
Old 05-27-13, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

The Sacramento 6 drive-in just went digital (and its 35mm projectors were already snapped up by someone else before I could get to them- grr!) While I sort of see the nostalgia aspect of drive-ins, I would never watch a movie there because you can't accurately reproduce modern sound tracks with a 2-channel sound system in your car, plus the front channels should be coming from the screen which is impossible for drive-ins to do.
Old 05-27-13, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The Sacramento 6 drive-in just went digital...
I believe that drive-in is owned by they same people that own the Bay Area drive-ins, and one more in Santa Barbara. (There's supposedly only 17 drive-ins left in California...)

fitprod
Old 05-27-13, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Mission Tiki in Montclair just upgraded all four of their screens to digital this month. I was planning to go check it out this week.

Last edited by islandclaws; 05-27-13 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-27-13, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clemente
The single drive-in in the Chicago area (and calling it Chicago is generous) just went digital this year. I believe they even but up an Indie GoGo or Kickstarter to help fund it.
It's West Chicago, baby! (I live about a mile from the Cascade.)
Old 05-27-13, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
The Mission Tiki in Monclair just upgraded all four of their screens to digital this month. I was planning to go check it out this week.
Awesome! That's for that information.
Old 05-27-13, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just need Mission Tiki to open up their gift shop already. Fucking shit has been closed all winter and whenever I ask they always say "Open during Summer time"

take my money, mission tiki!
Old 05-27-13, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There have been no drive ins on Long Island for decades. We used to have a ball, carloads of freinds, coolers, intermission. Feel bad that the kids here today can't exprience that.
Old 05-27-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Numanoid
It's West Chicago, baby! (I live about a mile from the Cascade.)
Over in Wheaton myself, went there Saturday night. Have to say it sounded like my car speakers gained a bit on the LFE effects as well when watching FF6 there. Can I assume with the digital projection also brings with it digital sound as well perhaps? I've seen a couple of the Transformers films there before and don't recall the bass being as good with those for example.
Old 05-27-13, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

There's a local drive-in that went digital last year but it's a little bit of a drive so I haven't checked it out yet.
Old 05-27-13, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The $300.000 price is a bit high... I have a good friend and several customers that are drive-in owners. You can convert a single screen for as low as 100K, sometimes cheaper if you can find some used projectors. Many theaters are converting from standard digital to 4K projectors(mostly Regal/AMC/Carmike)and selling their digital projectors.

One of my customers gobbled up two of those for his drive-in(he has two screens) and then all he needed was a larger lens to make the longer throw needed for a drive-in setup. I think they spent 150K total to convert two screens.

I still agree that it is a tough sell for a lot of these folks who struggle to make enough money as it is. You figure if it rains on a weekend, they are out all that business...
Old 05-27-13, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fitprod
There are only two drive-ins left in the SF Bay Area, and both have converted to digital.

fitprod
The only one I know of is the old Capitol Drive-in in San Jose; which used to be part of the Century chain. Where is the other one located?
Old 05-27-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 340 Posts

The only drive-in around here burned to the ground about a year ago and was rebuilt. I haven't been to it since the rebuild but now I want to.
Old 05-27-13, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan
The only one I know of is the old Capitol Drive-in in San Jose; which used to be part of the Century chain. Where is the other one located?
The Solano drive in off of Hwy 4 in Concord. Just east of Martinez.

fitprod
Old 05-27-13, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

There's a drive in up in Glendale, AZ that apparently is doing bonkers business now. Sort of a resurgence here in town.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.