Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Night sHEep Came Home! - Slasher Sheep

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-13, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to Slasher Film Sheep!

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:
(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:
Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:
The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer, unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible.
Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question.
Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.
Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules - Slam dunks, etc! -
Spoiler:
Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
1 Unique is awarded -15
2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each
Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd} s) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use them in:
In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier. Due to stacked Slam Dunks becoming a bit too powerful in these games, I’m limiting the stacking to ONE on any given question. If you place more than ONE on a single question, the additional Slam Dunks will not count. Again, no slam dunks stacking at all!
In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use a single {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing.
I will correct mistakes made when sending me your answers at a cost of 10 points.

Other notes and rules that I made up.
- For Sheep questions, if your answer is not specific enough, I will PM you for clarification. If you do not respond, you will be given a score of zero for your answer.

- For Reverse Sheep questions, if your answer is not specific enough, I will PM you for clarification. If you do not respond, your answer will be counted as wrong.

So what defines a slasher film? Well there is no simple definition but I think most of us know the basics. If there are any borderline cases, I will either decide them myself or leave it up to the sheep. I am not referencing any particular sources online, but I will do necessary research to back up my decisions. As is the usual case with my games, if you try to get cute with an answer, it will probably end up wrong.

Unless otherwise indicated, films must have been theatrically released at some point. I’ll even take limited release, if you can prove it.

Let's begin, shall we...
Spoiler:

01. S: Halloween is widely considered to be the best slasher film ever made. What is the second best?

02. R: Name a slasher film that isn’t part of a franchise and hasn’t been remade. (For this one, if the sequels or remakes were direct-to-video, it will count as a wrong answer)

03. S: What is the ideal number of kills in a good slasher movie?

04. R: Jason Voorhees loves to take out those promiscuous summer campers. Name a Friday the 13th Film.

05. S: There are a lot of famous kills in slasher movie history. Name one (just describe it, I’ll figure out what you mean)

06. R: Baroness Jamie Lee Curtis is the most notable scream queen of slasher films. Name a slasher film she appeared in.

07. S: What is the worst slasher film of all time?

08. R: Name a slasher film that references a holiday or some other eventful day in its title.

09. S: The Italian giallo film is considered a progenitor to the slasher genre. Name a notable giallo.

10. R: Scream ushered in a new wave of slasher films in the late 90s, mostly featuring famous teen television stars of the day. Name a slasher film that features an actor that was a regular of a FOX, WB, UPN, or CW tv show at the time of its release.

11. S:What was the best year for slasher films?

12. R: Name a slasher film where the main killer is not masked.

13. S: If you were to make a slasher film, what would your killer’s primary weapon be?

14. R: Name a slasher franchise with at least three entries (remakes excluded).

15. S: Who was the hottest actress in a slasher film?

16. R: Michael Myers is a seemingly indestructible killer who won’t rest until his sister/niece/whoever is dead. Name a film in the Halloween series.

17. S: Name an actor that you most associate with slasher films.

18. R: Freddy Krueger is quite the loveable child-killer. Name an entry in the Nightmare on Elm Street series.

19. S: The masked killer is an integral part of most slasher films (but not all). What is another important aspect of a good slasher film?

20. R: Name an Academy Award-nominated actor that appeared in a slasher film at some point in their career. (Ok if it was direct-to-video)

21. S: What is the best slasher film sequel of all time?

I will take answers until I have enough people to actually run the game.

Please remember that almost every notable slasher film has been remade. Specify which version you mean or risk getting a zero score or a wrong answer score!

Game is now close for entrants.

Last edited by Rockmjd23; 05-29-13 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-25-13, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: The Night sHEep Came Home! - Slasher Sheep

Entered.
Old 05-26-13, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I'll get in some answers within the next day (by Sunday). Not sure how this will work out with defining what is and isn't a slasher for some of the reverse sheep questions. Hopefully you'll be strict and won't let people get away with borderline answers. Some questions:

For those "name a movie in this franchise", it reads like movies in the original series and reboots/remakes would all be correct answers, right?

For #14, do all entries (or at least 3 of the entries) have to be theatrical releases. Or would just having the first one or two be theatrically released be good enough?
Old 05-26-13, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Atrocious answers sent!
Old 05-26-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee
I'll get in some answers within the next day (by Sunday). Not sure how this will work out with defining what is and isn't a slasher for some of the reverse sheep questions. Hopefully you'll be strict and won't let people get away with borderline answers. Some questions:

For those "name a movie in this franchise", it reads like movies in the original series and reboots/remakes would all be correct answers, right?

For #14, do all entries (or at least 3 of the entries) have to be theatrical releases. Or would just having the first one or two be theatrically released be good enough?
Like I said in the rules, getting cute with answers is usually a bad idea with me.

Reboots and remakes are considered part of a franchise.

For #14, at least 3 entries must be theatrically released.
Old 05-26-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A whopping 4 entries so far!
Old 05-26-13, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
A whopping 4 entries so far!
It is a holiday weekend. Even over a regular weekend, a lot of posters don't check the forum over the weekend. I'd recommend giving it at least until Tuesday to give people a chance to see the thread (bumping it up to keep it high on page one). Plus it's a very limited subject matter ... not to mention being a sub-genre of horror that many (especially more general movie fans) don't care for.

Oh ... and damn you for stealing the pun title I had in mind for my sequel to horror sheep Now I'm just left with "When There's No More Room in Hell, the Sheep Will Walk the Earth" (which may be a bit too wordy)
Old 05-26-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Just sent some crappy answers!
Old 05-26-13, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I'll definitely participate. It will be tonight, or possibly tomorrow before I could send answers in.
Old 05-26-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Entry just sent! I intentionally didn't give a correct answer for some sheep questions ... so we'll see how that goes

Don't like those three "name a movie in the series" questions, which seem like they just come down to a guessing game of picking a number between 1 and 10. And 2, 8, and 12 should have a ton of uniques (especially 8, which probably would've been better if you excluded the 2 gigantic franchise series specifically mentioned in other questions). And when I started thinking about it, #20 has a huge number of possible answers too. That said, watch me match on them all (even if not many people play) Should be fun game for revealing answers nonetheless!

Last edited by brainee; 05-26-13 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-26-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah number 8 I should have said just name a franchise. Oh well.
Old 05-26-13, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll participate after I sit down to read the questions tonight.
Old 05-26-13, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Hoping I'm not too late, have answers coming in shortly.
Old 05-26-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

8 entrants. woowoo
Old 05-26-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts

Answers sent.

Old 05-27-13, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sent my answers.
Old 05-27-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Entrants thus far:

Rockmjd23
dhmac
Boba Fett
ruddiger_718
Fist of Doom
tommyp007
brainee
Mountain Biker
Crocker Jarmen
Cellar Door
TBC
wishbone
Jules Winfield
Groucho
cardsfan111
Popcornbandit
cnicholls44
Imprint
Obi-Wan Jabroni
davidh777
orangecrush
Neitzl
devilshalo
Arpeggi
J Farley

Last edited by Rockmjd23; 05-28-13 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-27-13, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I will take answers until I have enough people to actually run the game.

Crappy slashtastic answers sent, thanks Rock.
Old 05-27-13, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay answers sent. Some I think were good but I'm sure your guys' shit answers will fuck my shit up.
Old 05-27-13, 07:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Okay answers sent. Some I think were good but I'm sure your guys' shit answers will fuck my shit up.
Old 05-28-13, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Answers sent. Very optimistic of a top-15 finish in this game. That is until more people submit answers.
Old 05-28-13, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just entered. Hope it's not too late.
Old 05-28-13, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not too late. Only about half full.
Old 05-28-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

I fear piss-poor slam usage on this one. I just wasn't sure of ANY answers...
Old 05-28-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I'll send answers later today.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.