Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Future of the Star Trek franchise

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Future of the Star Trek franchise

Old 05-31-13, 09:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Future of the Star Trek franchise

Funny how Patrick Stewart looks the best of all the TNG cast at this point.
Old 06-01-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Funny how Patrick Stewart looks the best of all the TNG cast at this point.
That's because aging in men is primarily noticeable by their hair...since we've never known Patrick WITH hair, he looks pretty much the same to us.

I think Frakes (60) and Spiner (64) look pretty good for their ages.
Old 06-01-13, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Did anyone watch the Reunification: 25 years after Star Trek TNG on the season 2 BD? The moderator asked the cast what is the likelihood they would be asked to do another TNG feature and they pretty much all said zero chance. The cast is too old now and everyone including Marina Sirtis said their ages are a factor.
It's a shame because they all look fairly decent for their age if you ask me. Obviously if a new movie was made with that crew they'd have to say that years have passed between the events of Nemesis and a potential new film but for the most part I think they'd be able to pull it off. I'd be much more interested in that than a third movie with the new cast personally. While I didn't mind Into Darkness I was still kind of disappointed in it overall and really don't have a ton of desire to see a new film with the new crew.
Old 06-02-13, 12:06 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would actually be funny if they said "yeah fuck this new cast, what were we thinking" and go back to TNG.
Old 06-02-13, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FRwL
It would actually be funny if they said "yeah fuck this new cast, what were we thinking" and go back to TNG.
Well I didn't necessarily mean that they would have to just scrap the new cast all together. I understand they'll do more films featuring them. I just meant after Into Darkness I'm not that excited to see a new movie with that cast. In the past Star Trek programming has run concurrently so I was just thinking if they could do something like that. I'm sure the reunion for The Next Generation won't happen though.
Old 06-02-13, 12:18 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

I love the new Trek universe... I loved the old Trek universe. I'd like to see this current timeline be extended out into a relaunch of TNG as well.

But I also feel that Trek is meant to be on TV.
Old 06-02-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

As with the above poster, Trek thrives better artistically on television (with exception of the majority of Voyager and all of Enterprise).

All that can be done with Trek in theaters is just constant riffing on Wrath of Khan over and over and over. "In our next movie: a monolithically evil bad guy has a diabolical plan involving a doomsday device. The ending will leave an opening for our next movie which features a monolithically evil bad guy that has a diabolical plan involving a doomsday device".

Strangely TWOK, wasn't the highest grossing of the TOS movies--that was The Voyage Home. But The Voyage Home didn't involve 'splosions...so they'll steer clear of that.
Old 06-02-13, 04:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I disagree. That's not all that can be done with Trek on film. It's just the formula that's proven the most popular, and is easiest to write. Eventually someone will try something new, and it will change the way Trek films are made.
Old 06-02-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I disagree. That's not all that can be done with Trek on film. It's just the formula that's proven the most popular, and is easiest to write. Eventually someone will try something new, and it will change the way Trek films are made.
I hope your right. Because it seems like 99% of all genre films are movies by fanboys for fanboys.
Old 06-02-13, 06:01 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

Eventually someone will try something new, and it will change the way Trek films are made.
I seriously doubt this.
Old 06-02-13, 06:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Happens all the time. It'll happen at some point. Not unrealistic.
Old 06-02-13, 06:46 PM
En vacance

Good point about trek on tv only, a lot of the greatest of episodes (again personally) have been kind of more thinking than action packed.
Old 06-02-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

I'd like to see another movie along the lines of ST:TMP... for whatever its flaws, it at least tried to be bold, epic, cerebral, bigger than "just" a Star Trek movie. No more glorified TV episodes (all the TNG movies, even the good one) or bombastic action flicks (the Abrams movies, as much as I love them).

I also want Linda Lavin.
Old 06-02-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The OP is spreading a lot of misinformation.

First of all, this is all my opinion.

I doubt that Paramount is super happy with the performance of STID. The word is that they were hoping for a Dark Knight showing for the film. That's obviously not happening. If it finishes below or even slightly above what the 2009 movie made, expect the next one to get a lower budget. The international gross of STID is higher than the 2009 movie, so that is a bright spot.

Paramount has Pine under an option for 3 Trek films. I imagine they have the rest of the main players under a similar contract. So that's not an issue.

Paramount wanted STID out last year. They agreed to a delay because they wanted Abrams to direct it. With the underperformance of the picture, and with 2016 being the 50th anniversary of Trek, Paramount will want a movie that year. With Abrams' Star Wars scheduled for a 2015 release, no way can Abrams deliver a new Trek movie in 2016. Therefore, he's not directing the next one, although I see no reason why the writing team wouldn't remain (unfortunately.)

Finally, Paramount has no say over a new Trek TV series--CBS owns the television rights to Trek. CBS currently doesn't seem to have any interest in a new Trek series, being content to milk the original continuity through Blu-ray and other merchandising. Furthermore, if CBS did want to develop a new Trek TV series AND wanted it to be in the new continuity (two BIG ifs), they would have to work with Paramount and Bad Robot to make it happen, and word is, Abrams and Bad Robot don't get along with CBS.

The short of it is: there will be another Trek movie in 2016, directed by someone other than Abrams. There will be no new TV series for the foreseeable future.

As an aside, I think it was a mistake to give Trek to Abrams. Trek has never been a "big name" franchise, and giving it to him would be like if Spielberg had been given Star Trek II to direct. Trek is best with talented but workmanlike people at the helm. It's not flashy, nor should it be.
Old 06-02-13, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

So, having seen the film now... what other options are there for the series? They should focus on one film at a time...make a great third one (like Skyfall) and pave the way for two more after that. I'd be happy with five films from this cast.
Old 06-02-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sort of expect at least one more film with the new cast. I kind of hope after that they're done though. The first one was fun enough as a throwback but the sequel just really didn't do as much for me and the effect of them trying to recapture the spirit of the original series just didn't work as well for me. I sort of hope they move away from that as soon as possible.
Old 06-03-13, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Of the original cast, only DeForest Kelley and James Doohan have died. (And, of course, its creator, Gene Roddenberry.) Hopefully, the rest will make it to the 50th Anniversary of TOS in 2016. It would be nice to have as full a reunion as possible for a TV special that year.
And, amazingly, Shatner, Nimoy, and Takei are all still working and in the public eye. I'm not sure about Koenig and Nichols. (Am I forgetting anyone?)
Old 06-03-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Of the original cast, only DeForest Kelley and James Doohan have died. (And, of course, its creator, Gene Roddenberry.) Hopefully, the rest will make it to the 50th Anniversary of TOS in 2016. It would be nice to have as full a reunion as possible for a TV special that year.
And, amazingly, Shatner, Nimoy, and Takei are all still working and in the public eye. I'm not sure about Koenig and Nichols. (Am I forgetting anyone?)
That reunion would/will be awesome.
Old 06-03-13, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Of the original cast, only DeForest Kelley and James Doohan have died. (And, of course, its creator, Gene Roddenberry.)
Majel Barrett (Nurse Chapel) is dead too.