Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the 3D "fad" ever going to end?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Is the 3D "fad" here to stay?
I love 3D and it's not going anywhere soon
27.85%
I love 3D but the current wave is going to end soon
0%
I hate 3D but the fad is here to stay
34.18%
I hate 3D and think it's going to end soon
24.05%
I'm not sure
7.59%
Twikoff in the 3rd Dimension
6.33%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Is the 3D "fad" ever going to end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-13, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Is the 3D "fad" ever going to end?

No, it won't end. The clarity will just get better and better.
Old 05-08-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some movies are awesome in 3D, some suck. We're is the option for, "I don't love it or hate it, but I think it's here to stay"?
Old 05-08-13, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like others have said, if a film was shot in 3D, with the director and DP doing their best to make it an immersive experience, then I'm all for it. Films like Prometheus and Avatar are the best examples, but even something like Texas Chainsaw 3D wound up using it effectively. I won't, however, pay for post-conversions except in one instance: IMAX. I like seeing movies on an IMAX screen. Sometimes they're only in 3D when I do so, so obviously I'm stuck there.

But 3D won't go away because of what it does internationally. Not only do overseas audiences still pay a premium to watch our movies in 3D, but it's also a pretty damn good piracy deterrent. Kinda hard to cam a 3D movie and let people experience that at home, right? That's a big part of the 3D push all around the world - you can't replicate it at home with a bootleg. If you're someone who is willing to watch a cammed film then you clearly have no care for the quality of whatever you're watching, but by studios selling people on the experience of 3D it gets more asses into seats.
Old 05-08-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

I fully enjoy 3D movies and think they will continue to improve. Animation movies work particularly well with the technology and several mainstream directors (Scorsese, Ridley Scott, Cameron, etc.) have explored the technology with favorable results.

I don't mind wearing the 3D glasses which I wear them over my regular glasses.
Old 05-08-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it will continue to exist for the big action movies and kids movies but that's it.

How many horror movies were in 3D?
Old 05-08-13, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like 3D as long as it doesn't get gimmicky. I like the sense of depth but don't like when they just blatantly put in scenes with things flying at you. I did hate it back when I had to wear the 3D glasses over my regular ones, but after I had laser eye surgery last year, it isn't a problem anymore.
Old 05-08-13, 12:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Nice to see overwhelming numbers against it. It's a cash grab - plain and simple.
Not really that overwhelming.
Old 05-08-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
Not really that overwhelming.
When I posted it was 70% hated.

Right now it is 64% hate vs 18% like not counting Twikoff or "not sure". That's closer to 4-to-1 than 3-to-1. If you want to play semantics that's up to you, but the poll is a clear indicator of what folks here think of it.
Old 05-08-13, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
When I posted it was 70% hated.

Right now it is 64% hate vs 18% like not counting Twikoff or "not sure". That's closer to 4-to-1 than 3-to-1. If you want to play semantics that's up to you, but the poll is a clear indicator of what folks here think of it.
LOL I'm not playing semantics but it seems like you are playing pick and choose by not counting things (Twikoff, not sure) that do count towards not hating it.
Old 05-08-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

LOL I'm not playing semantics but it seems like you are playing pick and choose by not counting things (Twikoff, not sure) that do count towards not hating it.
Are you serious? You can't count those two against either side. That's being fair. Right now you have 27 people who definitely don't like it and 8 who definitely do. I'm not sure how much more clear it needs to be made for you.

May be if I posted it in 3D?
Old 05-08-13, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I love 3D at home, not so much in a theater. Problem is the display being used. Theater screens/glass combo just are not bright enough to do it justice. I believe it will evolve over time though, as it has with home displays.

The glasses complaint is easily fixed at home if you have a passive set. I have a pair of flip ups that I can place on my glasses and don't even realize they are there.
Old 05-08-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
I really hope this 3D projection craziness ends very soon. Only a small percentage of people can actually see it properly, and the studios promoting it is resulting in many less showtimes for standard 2D showings. I have no interest in seeing something appear to "leap off the screen" every 20 minutes; its a distraction that snaps me out of the film.
Out of 15 theaters playing the film in Vegas, Iron Man 3 is currently playing in 2D on 40 screens and 3D on 34 screens (including IMAX 3D presentations). Two theaters are also presenting the film specifically in 2D only. I would've agreed with your comment maybe two-to-three years ago, but since 3D ticket sales have diminished greatly in North America, theaters have been booking far more 2D showings than 3D.

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I love 3D at home, not so much in a theater. Problem is the display being used. Theater screens/glass combo just are not bright enough to do it justice. I believe it will evolve over time though, as it has with home displays.
This. 3D is far superior in a home setting than in a theatrical setting. Not only due to the ability of television screens providing a far brighter picture, but also the fact that you're right within the proper viewing angle unlike that of a theater. With laser projectors rolling out within the next few years, theatrical 3D presentations might become better, but who knows.

For every film I see in 3D that looks great (for example: Jurassic Park 3D and The Croods), I see quite more that look like shit (for example: Texas Chainsaw 3D, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, Top Gun, Jack the Giant Slayer, Iron Man 3, etc). G.I. Joe: Retaliation and Oz had "okay" 3D presentations.
Old 05-08-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Is Twikoff still alive?
Old 05-08-13, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

1. It's not a fad.
2. It's not going to end.
3. There's nothing wrong with one 3D event film every couple of months.
4. I'm not a 3D fan, but the few films that got it right - Hugo, Avatar, Life of Pi - got it really right.
Old 05-08-13, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I hate it, but I picked I'm not sure, because I'm not. I hope it goes away but a lot of people seem to like it. So there, you can count at least one of those not sure votes as a hate it
Old 05-08-13, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Out of 15 theaters playing the film in Vegas, Iron Man 3 is currently playing in 2D on 40 screens and 3D on 34 screens (including IMAX 3D presentations). Two theaters are also presenting the film specifically in 2D only. I would've agreed with your comment maybe two-to-three years ago, but since 3D ticket sales have diminished greatly in North America, theaters have been booking far more 2D showings than 3D.
Not where I live in Dallas. Almost every time a movie is released in 3D, the theater has about 15 showtimes a day, and maybe 4 in 2D.
Old 05-08-13, 05:09 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't particularly care for 3D movies either, but obviously movie studios and major theater chains have already invested far too much money into new 3D technology to let it just die after only a few years. I think if the international market for 3D films starts to cool like here in the US, people will start seeing fewer and fewer 3D films being released, but I think that enough money has now been invested in 3D technology that there will likely always be those big "3D event movies" being released a few times a year.
Old 05-08-13, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

The real reason studios love it is because of the overseas market. 3D does okay in North America, but it sells like gangbusters overseas. I enjoy 3D quite a bit at home, but I've only seen a few movies in the theater where the experience was enjoyable (Avatar, Hugo, and Life of Pi).
Old 05-08-13, 05:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I avoid it at the theater, but watch it occasionally at home. Kid loves the animated stuff. I could care less if it dies out or stays. My guess is that in this digital world Hollywood now resides in, 3D will be permanent.
Old 05-08-13, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

If a movie is done in 3D, then I try to see it that way. But so far the best ones have been Avatar, Hugo and Life of Pi, and hell I'll throw Titanic in there, since that looked good and took a fuckload of work. JP I was not too impressed by. I don't see it as a cash grab in Cameron's case since he fucking had a team develop new cameras specifically for this, and has been working in the medium for years. He even had RR make Spy Kids 3 in 3D to test out viability.

But with a lot of movies jumping on the bandwagon or the majority of post-convesion jobs, yeah I can see how it's annoying.

And glasses, well those won't always be needed for 3D. They are far from having it be screen size, but Cameron has talked about using laptop sized 3D displays, and the 3DS is a small step in that direction.
Old 05-08-13, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I have a similar issue there, for every Life of Pi you end up with a dozen post-conversion cash grabs.
Old 05-08-13, 06:49 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

All previous attempts at 3-D have fizzeled as fads pretty quickly. What killed it in the '50s was poor presentation of the 3-D effect. The effect back then was just as good as today but it was frequently miss-projected and audiences quickly developed an impression that there were movies with good 3-D and "bad" 3-D. There are many reports near the end of the cycle with critics expressing that Revenge of the Creature was "bad" 3-D, speculating that an inferrior process must have been used. This is not true, leaving most 3-D history buffs to lay the blame at the feet of distributors and/or projectionists who couldn't present the film properly.

Which leads me to believe that if anything kills today's 3-D fad it will be these fucking post conversions. Audiences will begin to think 3-D is inferrior because they see these mediocre releases.

Also, as a father of a 5 year old I hate 3D animated films. Little kids don't enjoy wearing the glasses.
Old 05-08-13, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I'm surprised 3D has lasted this long with the upcharges at theaters. I love 3D, but refuse to support the extra charges at theaters when the regular prices are already out of hand. Instead, I buy all the 3D Blu-Rays I can afford.

While post-conversion can look good (see my review of Top Gun), it's still silly and inexcusable to put out new movies like that. Shoot the damn thing in real 3D, using two separate images, or just release it in 2D.
Old 05-08-13, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
Not where I live in Dallas. Almost every time a movie is released in 3D, the theater has about 15 showtimes a day, and maybe 4 in 2D.
Bullshit.

The first ten pages of Fandango in "Dallas, TX" show Iron Man 3 on 80 screens in 2D whereas the 3D showings take up 85. Plenty of showtimes to go around for both formats.

I live in about a 15-minute driving distance of four theaters in Vegas and it's an even 50/50 split between the 2D and 3D showings.
Old 05-08-13, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
If a movie is done in 3D, then I try to see it that way. But so far the best ones have been Avatar, Hugo and Life of Pi, and hell I'll throw Titanic in there, since that looked good and took a fuckload of work. JP I was not too impressed by. I don't see it as a cash grab in Cameron's case since he fucking had a team develop new cameras specifically for this, and has been working in the medium for years. He even had RR make Spy Kids 3 in 3D to test out viability.

But with a lot of movies jumping on the bandwagon or the majority of post-convesion jobs, yeah I can see how it's annoying.

And glasses, well those won't always be needed for 3D. They are far from having it be screen size, but Cameron has talked about using laptop sized 3D displays, and the 3DS is a small step in that direction.
Yeah, typically I am more interested in seeing a movie in 3D when I know it was actually shot in 3D and not a post-conversion rush job. Avatar looked absolutely amazing, but not too many movies since then have come close to that standard.

As far as glasses-less 3D, they have to find a way around the viewing angle issue. The 3D effect of the 3DS is completely ruined if you look at it from anything else but completely dead-on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.