Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Doc Savage (D: Shane Black) S: Dwayne Johnson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 03:47 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

BREAKING: Sony has just closed a deal with Shane Black to co-write and direct Doc Savage, a movie based on the 1930s and ’40s pulp novel hero. He co-wrote the screenplay with Anthony Bagarozzi and Charles Mondry, and Columbia Pictures says he’s eyeing it as his next project. Neal H. Moritz is producing the project with Ori Marmur through his Original Film banner. Michael Uslan will also be a producer. “We couldn’t be more excited to be building a franchise from the ground up with Shane and this team”, said Columbia production president Hannah Hannah Minghella, who made the announcement today with Columbia president Doug Belgrad. “Shane and Neal have a fantastic understanding of the character and a great take on the material and we can’t wait to get this production up and running.”

Doc Savage was a multiplatformer even back in the day, popularized on radio, film and TV. He was a scientist, physician, adventurer, inventor, explorer and researcher with outstanding strength, a photographic memory, and vast knowledge and intelligence. He uses those skills and powers to fight evil.

Sam Dickerman and Lauren Abrahams are overseeing for the studio with Minghella.

Black, coming off the phenomenal worldwide opening of Disney/Marvel’s Iron Man 3, also wrote with Bagarozzi and Mondry the live-action adaptation of the Japanese manga series Death Note, which is set up at Warner Bros. At the time of that deal back in 2011, Black said he wasn’t sure what he wanted to direct next. Well that ended up being Iron Man threequel, which reteamed him with his Kiss Kiss Bang Bang star Robert Downey Jr and which grossed $680M worldwide in its first 12 days.
Old 05-07-13, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Doc Savage (D: Shane Black) S: Dwayne Johnson

Sony. Well good luck to Black on not getting screwed on it.
Old 05-07-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

I don't see how some audiences can make any distinction between Uncharted's Drake and Doc Savage. Seems very similar for Sony to be making both 'franchises'.

And it's not that bad here, Snake. We've made the right moves on certain movies where directors were going in a less inviting path. Soderbergh and Moneyball, for example.
Old 05-07-13, 11:22 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who wants to be Armie Hammer plays Doc Savage? He seems to be the go to action guy nowadays.
Old 05-08-13, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Shane Black has got his clout back again!
Old 05-08-13, 01:01 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm game.
Old 05-08-13, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
And it's not that bad here, Snake. We've made the right moves on certain movies where directors were going in a less inviting path. Soderbergh and Moneyball, for example.
While it can be debated whether the moves were the "right" ones, you have to agree that they've been made in the worse fashion possible. Canning a movie the day before it is supposed to start principle shooting is bush league.
Old 05-08-13, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this in the theater back in 1975. The trailer makes it look like a campy comedy. I just remember it scaring the crap out of me (I was 6).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/COwzNqlUxWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-08-13, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It scared the crap out of me now.
Old 05-08-13, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hell yeah. Man o' Bronze! I have a feeling it will perform like John Carter did though. Sadly people dont realise where alot of current pop fiction has its roots.
Old 05-08-13, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I'll give it a shot.
Old 05-08-13, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by burnside986
Hell yeah. Man o' Bronze! I have a feeling it will perform like John Carter did though. Sadly people dont realise where alot of current pop fiction has its roots.
John Carter bombed because it was a convoluted mess of a movie that didn't have any clue as to what it was trying to be in the end. If Disney had tried a better marketing campaign and cleaned up the mess of a script, it probably would have done well overall.

I was wondering why no one had tried a Doc Savage movie, glad to see it's in the hands of someone who is proven at the genre. I wonder if it will be set in modern times or the era of the original stories? If the latter, then Shane Black's penchant for setting his movies at Christmas time might work.
Old 05-08-13, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Wasn't Arnold trying to get a Doc Savage movie made a long time ago? I remember reading something about it or maybe it was an old thread.
Old 05-08-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

The only issue I had with John Carter, aside from the ho hum marketing, was the awkward prologue. That should have been cut and the deleted scene with Edgar Rice Burroughs in school reinstated. John Carter's first experience on Mars should have been the audiences' first look at Mars.

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Wasn't Arnold trying to get a Doc Savage movie made a long time ago? I remember reading something about it or maybe it was an old thread.
Back in the 90's. Around the same time as the script to I Am Legend was written with Arnold in mind.
Old 05-08-13, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Would love to see this happen.
Old 05-09-13, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Next to BATMAN, DOC SAVAGE is one my All-Time Favorite Characters.

I rather see an animated movie in the style of the "Adventures of TinTin."

Maybe adapt this story that was just publish.
http://www.radioarchives.com/Product...ductCode=AP082
Old 03-23-16, 12:35 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

While Shane Black is currently dealing with a pair of Nice Guys, the writer and director has an actor in mind for his next savage project.

Speaking with Thrillist about his upcoming film The Nice Guys, Black addressed his Doc Savage adaptation, for which he was announced as a co-writer and director in 2013. Black said that he’d like to make the film “sometime next year” and that he has a lead actor in mind for the role.

“I would very much like to do Doc with a fellow named Dwayne Johnson if we can make that work,” Black said. “I made a decision that Dwayne is the guy.”

That fellow, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, already has a busy schedule of filming ahead of him, as he’s currently in production on Baywatch, and has the upcoming Fast and Furious 8 and Rampage video game adaptation on his docket. Black acknowledged how packed Johnson’s schedule is, saying the film is “on the back burner while he’s busy.”

Doc Savage, the story of a man with superheroic levels of intelligence and strength (who just so happens to be a brilliant scientist, inventor, and explorer), began as a series of pulp novels and radio series. Black was announced as a director of the film in 2013 for Sony, having already written a script along with Anthony Bagarozzi and Charles Mondry. Earlier in the project’s lifespan, Chris Hemsworth had discussed playing the title role according to reports in 2014.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/23...dwayne-johnson
Old 03-23-16, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Black should focus on The Predator instead of this one.
Old 03-23-16, 12:41 PM
Banned

Well... I mean. The Rock does makes a film more enjoyable. I like Doc Savage... soooo yay?

And, yes. Christmas w/ Predator should come first.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 03-23-16 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-26-16, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Has there been a movie about a pulp era hero that was a box office success?

I can think of the Lone Ranger, Alec Baldwin as the Shadow, and John Carter. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was an imitation pulp, and it didn't sell either.
Old 03-26-16, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Has there been a movie about a pulp era hero that was a box office success?

I can think of the Lone Ranger, Alec Baldwin as the Shadow, and John Carter. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was an imitation pulp, and it didn't sell either.
Does Indiana Jones count?
Old 03-26-16, 08:18 AM
Banned

that would make him an imitation pulp
Old 03-26-16, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Good question. I think Indiana Jones is more a Good Parts Version of the serials. But I could go either way.
Old 03-28-16, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I am down for this. I know Black has been trying to get this movie made for years and Arnie in his prime would have been great, but The Rock has the looks and the charisma to pull it off. Reminds me, i need to get round to watching the 1970s Doc Savage movie. Always looked kinda interesting. Its on Youtube i believe.
Old 05-30-16, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Looks like it's a go!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.