Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Is Worse: Star Trek I or V?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Worse Film: Star Trek I or V?
The Motion Picture (1979)
33.33%
The Final Frontier (1989)
66.67%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Which Is Worse: Star Trek I or V?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Which Is Worse: Star Trek I or V?

Originally Posted by PatD
II, III, IV, and VI are almost a movie series within a movie series. I and V are these weird excursions where the events of either are never, EVER mentioned in II, III, IV, and VI. You never hear Kirk and Spock mention Captain Decker offhand in Wrath of Khan. You never hear mention of the goodwill from General Korrd in The Undiscovered Country. It's like those 4 films quietly pretended those other 2 films never existed.
I think you're exhibiting the confirmation bias fallacy here. How often is Khan mentioned in any other ST film aside from TWOK? How often is Commander Kruge mentioned in any ST film aside from TSFS? How often are humpback whales mentioned in any ST film aside from TVH?

Movies, even in a movie series, are mainly plot-focused and only mention previous movies in the series if the plot of the current movie requires it. Otherwise, they are all self-contained as much as possible and make no off-hand mention of anything from other movies.
Old 05-06-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

With most posters saying TMP was better, I guess I'll try to watch it again. It's been about 10 years since I saw it. I still saw V a few months ago on TV.

And yes the Spock half-brother thing pissed me off, too.
Old 05-07-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Finished the second half of TMP and watched V last night -- V is just a silly mess. Thankfully Nicholas Meyer returned for VI and ended the original movie series on a high note.
Old 05-07-13, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I think you're exhibiting the confirmation bias fallacy here. How often is Khan mentioned in any other ST film aside from TWOK? How often is Commander Kruge mentioned in any ST film aside from TSFS? How often are humpback whales mentioned in any ST film aside from TVH?
II leads directly into III, III leads directly into IV, and VI deals with the fallout from the death of David in III.
Old 05-07-13, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
VI deals with the fallout from the death of David in III.
David's death caused the Klingon moon to explode?
Old 05-08-13, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.
David's death caused the Klingon moon to explode?
It did lead to Kirk's hatred of Klingons and how the log was used against him in the trial.
Old 05-08-13, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Admiral Cartwright from Star Trek IV reappears in Star Trek VI in a much less flattering light.

There are a lot of tie-ins in the four Nimoy/Meyers movies. As I said: almost a movie series within a movies series. I and V are the odd men out.
Old 05-08-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

There are a lot of tie-ins in the four Nimoy/Meyers movies. As I said: almost a movie series within a movies series. I and V are the odd men out.
Yes, and there was going to be even MORE as the character of Valeris was originally written to be Saavik. How powerful would the story been if they had went ahead with that idea?!

Spoiler:
Saavik wanted revenge against the Klingons for the death of David
Old 05-08-13, 04:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't forget the callback to II in VI:

Scotty: ...then we're dead.
Spock: I've been dead before.
Old 05-09-13, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In part 5, McCoy says he liked Spock better before he died.
Old 05-09-13, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the end of V, Kirk says, "I lost a brother once. I got him back."

Also, this is a somewhat nerdy observation (in a Star Trek thread? Go figure!), but the sound effect that plays in the background whenever Sybok reveals someone's pain in V, is re-used during Spock's meld with Valeris in VI.
Old 05-09-13, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Admiral Cartwright from Star Trek IV reappears in Star Trek VI in a much less flattering light.

You miss my point. I and V are standalone movies in the series, so share no plotlines with other movies in the series. All of the movies are plot-driven and only mention stuff from other movies if it has any bearing on the plot of the current movie. The idea in Hollywood is to try to make movies as standalone as possible so that audience member who didn't see previous movies in the series can still enjoy the movie without being lost.

For a good example, that's why Gillian (Catherine Hicks), who was such a major part of ST IV, never was mentioned in a Star Trek movie ever again. It's because her character had nothing at all to do with the plots of those later movies, so why risk confusing an audience by mentioning her at all? It has nothing to do with if the movie is considered "good" or not (and ST IV is considered "good"), it has everything to do with the plot. You confuse no mention of a major character from a previous movie (the main cast who are in all the movies don't really count in this regard) as some sort of dislike of that previous movie. But the fact is it's just that current plot has no need of it.

Last edited by dhmac; 05-10-13 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-09-13, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
II leads directly into III, III leads directly into IV, and VI deals with the fallout from the death of David in III.
All plot-driven. It's not done because the filmmakers liked some of the movies and hated other ones, as PatD basically claims.
Old 05-10-13, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I think you're exhibiting the confirmation bias fallacy here.
Ooh, great title for a Big Bang Theory episode.
Old 05-10-13, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

The failures of Star Trek V were less William Shatner's, and had more to do with Paramount pulling the rug out from under him. The budget was cut from the previous movie (the biggest Trek hit to that point, and they slash the budget for the next one), and when Shatner ran out of money (due to the reality of filmmaking) Paramount still wouldn't give him more, so he and the production staff had to quickly come up with a compromise ending (cheap to film) that wasn't what anyone wanted.

Conceptually, Trek V is one of the most ambitious of the series. It had some very funny jokes, and a light, fun atmosphere - but the script was a little too Ghostbuster-ish in style and the (lack of) budget really hamstrung Shatner. Nimoy had more to work with on III and IV. If the studio had hired Nicholas Meyer to write ST V based on Shatner's concept it could have been a great movie, but they went cheap and went with a comedy type writer instead.

It wasn't Shatner's fault that the studio screwed this movie up.
Old 05-10-13, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Kirk's somewhat gleeful delivery of, "General Korrd's military strategies were required learning when I was a cadet at the Academy. When they put me out to pasture, I hope I fare better than Korrd," in Star Trek V seemed an odd contrast to his general disdain for all things Klingon in Star Trek VI with the callback to Star Trek III and the death of his son.
Old 05-10-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wishbone

Kirk's somewhat gleeful delivery of, "General Korrd's military strategies were required learning when I was a cadet at the Academy. When they put me out to pasture, I hope I fare better than Korrd," in Star Trek V seemed an odd contrast to his general disdain for all things Klingon in Star Trek VI with the callback to Star Trek III and the death of his son.
Less "gleeful" and more wistful and bemused. And then there's that moment in V where the Klingon Bird of Prey saves him from "God". Kirk thinks then that they are going to kill him and he calls them "Klingon bastards".
Old 05-10-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
The failures of Star Trek V were less William Shatner's, and had more to do with Paramount pulling the rug out from under him. The budget was cut from the previous movie (the biggest Trek hit to that point, and they slash the budget for the next one), and when Shatner ran out of money (due to the reality of filmmaking) Paramount still wouldn't give him more, so he and the production staff had to quickly come up with a compromise ending (cheap to film) that wasn't what anyone wanted.

Conceptually, Trek V is one of the most ambitious of the series. It had some very funny jokes, and a light, fun atmosphere - but the script was a little too Ghostbuster-ish in style and the (lack of) budget really hamstrung Shatner. Nimoy had more to work with on III and IV. If the studio had hired Nicholas Meyer to write ST V based on Shatner's concept it could have been a great movie, but they went cheap and went with a comedy type writer instead.

It wasn't Shatner's fault that the studio screwed this movie up.
I don't think the rock creatures Shatner wanted would have made the movie any better.
Old 05-10-13, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I think it's sort of interesting how each of the six Star Trek movies each captures a certain aspect from the original series:

I - A sense of wonder and confronting the unknown
II - Action/Adventure
III - The familial connection between the crew
IV - Comedy
V - The Hot Mess of the third season: Budget cuts, pretentiousness lack of direction
VI - Political allegory
Old 05-10-13, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I don't think the rock creatures Shatner wanted would have made the movie any better.
It wasn't just the lack of budget for that. The whole thing was scaled back about 15% from STIV. Adjusted for inflation that meant about a 20% cut in real spending power from the previous movie - and Shatner was saddled with a comedy writer writing the final script. Nimoy got Meyer. Big difference.

Shatner's basic premise and story outline were very good. With the right producer and writer working with him STV could have been one of the better Trek films. Instead, the studio and Harve Bennett treated the thing like a throwaway and didn't do much to rein Shatner's slapstick tendencies in other than cutting his budget.

Nichelle Nichols actually said that she was surprised at how good Shatner was as a director because she was dreading working on the movie going in. Nimoy got a ton of studio/producer support when making III & IV. Shatner got very little.

I don't blame Shatner for the shortcomings of STV. For that I blame Harve Bennett and the studio execs at Paramount.
Old 05-11-13, 02:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But the real question is, do you blame the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
Old 05-11-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think V has some great directorial choices, particularly in the framing of some shots. The entire approach to, and landing on, Sha-Ka-Ree sequence has shot after shot of beautiful framing and fluidic camera movements. That push-in to the rear of the bridge while everyone is transfixed on the viewscreen, to reveal the bird-of-prey coming into sensor range (unnoticed), while Goldsmith's score swells is one of the best shots in the history of Trek.

To boil it down, I'd rather sit through Star Trek V a dozen times rather than sit through a Star Wars prequel once.
Old 05-12-13, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yet Shatner kept the stupid slapstick in, especially the "I know my way around this shi... DOINK!" bit which conveniently moves the plot along. I praise his work on the concept but some of the execution relies on Shatner being able to know what works and what doesn't as far as tone.