Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Is Worse: Star Trek I or V?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Worse Film: Star Trek I or V?
The Motion Picture (1979)
33.33%
The Final Frontier (1989)
66.67%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-13, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
Re: Which Is Worse: Star Trek I or V?

Now that's a troll post!
Old 05-05-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
That's possibly one of the dumbest posts I've seen in awhile.

You literally have no clue what you're talking about.

This thread is all about what the views are.

"So, let's hear your thoughts, and why. Sound off..."

Get over it. If you are a treknerd it shouldn't matter what other people think. Why not try and own it instead of complaining like a child.

I feel that the films are poorly made, the acting is terrible and the stories are not that compelling to begin with. Instead of crying about my views, just state your own and move on.
I'm not crying. I'm calling you on your shit. I hate people like you who act so dumbfounded when they go into a thread and shit on people who like something and make it seem like they have no idea what they did. You know what you're doing so just stop seriously. I could care less what you think about Trek I'm a fan and have been since I was young. If you aren't that's fine but you don't have to go around name calling or shitting on a franchise just because you don't like it.

A respectable person says, I'm not a fan of Star Trek or whatever the topic at hand is if they aren't states reasons and moves on. Your first post in this thread you didn't state any reasons and just said the movies suck. You've amended in further posts and given some reasons at least but when you first came in here it seemed like nothing more than trolling.
Old 05-05-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can care less then why don't you?

Old 05-05-13, 03:25 PM
Banned

Film I is beyond terrible and is generally hated.
Well, IMDB shows it has a rating of 6.3, so that would show that is it generally liked.

II has an IMDB rating of 7.7, III has an IMDB rating of 6.5, IV has an IMDB rating of 7.2, and V has a rating of 5.2. Seems to me they are all, at least, generally liked.

That's possibly one of the dumbest posts I've seen in awhile.

You literally have no clue what you're talking about.
Who do you think your above statement applies to more?
Old 05-05-13, 04:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mod Note: foofighters, you are in fact trolling. It would be wise for you to exit this thread and not to look back.
Old 05-05-13, 04:19 PM

lol

trekkies are living in a world of delusion.

Really?..REALLY?? So you're using a site where people have ranked The Shawshank Redemption as the best movie of all time?! LOL Using IMDB is just ridiculous. Of course they are going to have a higher,skewed rating just because Star Trek fans will rate them high no matter what.

Look, I guess using reason and reality in a Star Trek discussion isn't the best move on my part.

If you generally watch shit I'm sure Star Trek I-IV are great but if you actually watch good films and are not swayed by nostalgia there is no way in hell you can say they are good with a straight face.

I never remembered liking them but gave II-IV another chance and they are just plain bad.

I would prefer to watch TNG over any other Star Trek series or film. I'm not a fan of The Next Generation's movies either though. Overall I just don't think the Star Trek movies have ever had a good enough production crew behind them. Poorly made with bad effects, bad acting and stupid stories. I think the story of II-IV could have been pretty good but was mishandled.

For me, Star Trek has always had potential with poor execution.
Old 05-05-13, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

Look, I guess using reason and reality in a Star Trek discussion isn't the best move on my part.
No. Not posting on the poll topic isn't the best move on your part. But then again, that's what you typically do.

Old 05-05-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"lol

trekkies are living in a world of delusion.

blah blah blah ad finitum"

I'm no trekkie, trekker or whatever, but you are acting like a rotten little creepy child. There's more sand in your pussy than at Jones Beach.
Old 05-05-13, 04:40 PM
Banned by request

Okay guys, let's get the conversation back on track. Please no more responding to foo fighter's posts.
Old 05-05-13, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I voted for 5 but they were both bad in their own way. I remember seeing TMP and timed the approach to the ship. I think it was something like 5 full minutes of pulling up to and viewing the ship. Something that could have been done in a minute or so. I did like the plot of 1, just the pace was horrible.
Old 05-05-13, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I voted for 5 but they were both bad in their own way. I remember seeing TMP and timed the approach to the ship. I think it was something like 5 full minutes of pulling up to and viewing the ship. Something that could have been done in a minute or so. I did like the plot of 1, just the pace was horrible.
I can see how some might not like some stuff like that in The Motion Picture but that's actually one of my favorite scenes in any Trek film to be honest. Just love the slow panning over the ship with the great music. Awesome scene for me.
Old 05-05-13, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I can see how some might not like some stuff like that in The Motion Picture but that's actually one of my favorite scenes in any Trek film to be honest. Just love the slow panning over the ship with the great music. Awesome scene for me.
I agree. In fact I will sometimes pop the movie in and ONLY watch that scene. And I love that you're actually looking at a real ship (albeit a model) and not some CGI rendering.
Old 05-06-13, 03:10 AM
Banned by request

Bitching about the reveal of the new (and still best looking) Enterprise is like telling the hottest girl you've ever met that she's taking too long to strip sensuously for you before you fuck.
Old 05-06-13, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's more like "we spent the majority of the budget on models and effects, let's showcase that for majority of the movie and we'll deal with the plot in editing."
Old 05-06-13, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Motion Picture looked like it tried to be as cerebral as 2001 and failed at it, The Final Frontier was just plain awful and proof that just because you have been involved with a franchise for a long time, doesn't mean you should start directing it.
Old 05-06-13, 09:10 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by gmanca
I think it's more like "we spent the majority of the budget on models and effects, let's showcase that for majority of the movie and we'll deal with the plot in editing."
I don't think that was it at all. As has been mentioned many times already, the point of reference for TMP was 2001. In that context, the slow, lingering shots make plenty of sense.
Old 05-06-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I watched the first half of TMP last night: the long reveal of the Enterprise is also a showcase of Goldsmith's wonderful score. In terms of the film this is Kirk's first opportunity -- along with the audience -- to see the new Enterprise and like a good captain he is inspecting his ship before coming aboard.
Old 05-06-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wishbone
I watched the first half of TMP last night: the long reveal of the Enterprise is also a showcase of Goldsmith's wonderful score. In terms of the film this is Kirk's first opportunity -- along with the audience -- to see the new Enterprise and like a good captain he is inspecting his ship before coming aboard.
Yeah the music in The Motion Picture is great all around if you ask me. I should really pick up the soundtrack for it.
Old 05-06-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Bitching about the reveal of the new (and still best looking) Enterprise is like telling the hottest girl you've ever met that she's taking too long to strip sensuously for you before you fuck.
Horrible analogy.
Old 05-06-13, 01:45 PM
Banned by request

In both cases I finished, so I think it's a perfectly applicable analogy.
Old 05-06-13, 02:20 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I like the one scene in TMP where the camera slowly pans over the space scenery for 140 minutes. That's the best part.
Old 05-06-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

If you restore some of the Kirk, Spock, McCoy banter that was in the TV version (which they've done on a couple home video versions) AND edit down big gaps of time where the Enterprise is just moving through the Cloud, you'd have a more watchable and semi-decent movie. It would probably clock-in at about 90 minutes...but at least it would MOVE a little better.
Old 05-06-13, 03:26 PM
Banned

The only parts of TMP that I really like are the ship reveal at the beginning and the scenes near the end with the VGER satellite. But 2,3, and 4 are the best of the series. As I've said, if you go into 5 with the proper mindset, it's a fun movie. Is it good ? Hardly. But it IS fun. Weird, cheesy, out there fun. It's not a good Star Trek movie, and it's certainly not even a good movie in general. But it's nowhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
Old 05-06-13, 03:38 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

II, III, IV, and VI are almost a movie series within a movie series. I and V are these weird excursions where the events of either are never, EVER mentioned in II, III, IV, and VI. You never hear Kirk and Spock mention Captain Decker offhand in Wrath of Khan. You never hear mention of the goodwill from General Korrd in The Undiscovered Country. It's like those 4 films quietly pretended those other 2 films never existed.

Last edited by PatD; 05-06-13 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-06-13, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You damn kids today with your MTV and your text messaging and your Michael Bay... you just don't know how to slow down and savor something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.