Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Is Worse: Star Trek I or V?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Worse Film: Star Trek I or V?
The Motion Picture (1979)
33.33%
The Final Frontier (1989)
66.67%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Which Is Worse: Star Trek I or V?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-13, 09:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Which Is Worse: Star Trek I or V?

Star Trek III is cheesy sci-fi fun. Star Trek V could have been as good as that, but Shatner had no sense of composition, staging, or editing.
Old 05-03-13, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Star Trek V, by a country mile.
Old 05-03-13, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I saw The Motion Picture in the theatre when I was 6 years old and didn't remember anything about it.

I believe I watched it again on VHS and then on TV afterwards. Then when DVDs became popular I got the 2-disc Director's Cut DVD. Honestly, it's my least favorite Trek movie. It felt more like 2001 then anything like Star Trek or the TV series. I think they focused too much on the visuals than story and it just didn't flow for me. Plus, it was too damn long. In my honest opinion, it wasn't a good film to lead off the film franchise. Luckily Star Trek II kicked so much ass and felt more in tune with the characters and the show.

On the plus side, Persis Khambatta was pretty damn hot and even as a bald chick. Too bad she's no longer with us. Died way too young.
Old 05-03-13, 09:38 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I own all the 2-Disc Director's/Special Collector's Editions of the Star Trek movies, of them all The Final Frontier was my least favorite, but I still enjoy watching it from time to time.
Old 05-04-13, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Final Frontier is bad because of the three films that preceded it. Sure, it's goofy pandering and one gets the sense that the only reason Shatner is in the director's chair is because his ego wouldn't let Nimoy be the only cast member to direct a film in the series. The humor is too forced (the Row, Row, Row Your Boat sequence is horrific), Uhura's burlesque dance scene is mind-boggling, and the alien designs look straight out of Zoobilee Zoo. But is it god-awful? Not really. It's just a cheesy slice of studio product, not wiggling up its own ass like TMP.
Old 05-04-13, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all of the Star Trek movies are terrible. II-IV are terrible too, no matter what the Trekkie nerds say.
Old 05-04-13, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I think with TMP they went a bit overboard with the approach of "this is not the old tv show, this is a BIG CINEMATIC, WIDESCREEN, EXPENSIVE MOTION PICTURE". However, I love that vibe, so the fact that it's a bit slow and ponderous doesn't bother me. It DOES feel cinematic, and it's the combined fun of having the characters reunited with each other and the Enterprise, and all that slow, big grandeur, with the great score and effects....I can see why many would find it boring, and I"m not arguing it's a perfect movie, but its excesses were in the service of a vibe I really like, so it works for me.
Me too. I still remember sitting in the theatre watching it when it came out and being amazed. To go from the TV show to that film? Wow... we were all blown away. After the transporter accident it was palpable in the theatre, the shock, people knew we were no longer fucking around, this was big time Star Trek.

I agree with Supr, that 'Generations' is the least of the films, easily.
Old 05-04-13, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would rather sit and watch V.

But I is worth watching just for the Enterprise introduction.
Old 05-04-13, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I voted V, as TMP at least attempted to do something bold and interesting.
Old 05-04-13, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by foofighters7
all of the Star Trek movies are terrible. II-IV are terrible too, no matter what the Trekkie nerds say.
If you hate all of the Star Trek movies, then why the hell do you care about this topic? I don't read or comment in threads for topics that don't interest me or stuff that I hate.
Old 05-04-13, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I did think it was interesting that Kirk did make a comment in V saying that he would die alone (without friends or family around) which was pertinent to his fate in Generations.
Old 05-04-13, 07:32 PM
Banned

I, III, and IV are terrible ? Don't know what movies you've been watching, but those 3 movies are widely known as the best of the series.
Old 05-04-13, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Star Trek III is cheesy sci-fi fun. Star Trek V could have been as good as that, but Shatner had no sense of composition, staging, or editing.
you have the same fx team as stm and st4 is a good movie.
Old 05-04-13, 08:49 PM
Banned

The only thing that bugs me about III is Christopher Lloyd; I just can't believe him as a Klingon.
Old 05-04-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

ST: TMP gave us the new versions of the Klingons that became so popular that almost everyone forgets how they were in TOS (not just in appearance, but in behavior because TOS Klingons on the tv show had no sense of honor or anything like that. They were a bit thuggish if anything.)

ST V: TFF gave Spock a half-brother, an idea that most fans hated.

So yet another point for TMP and another against ST V
Old 05-04-13, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
The only thing that bugs me about III is Christopher Lloyd; I just can't believe him as a Klingon.
I actually liked Lloyd as Kruge. I've actually always enjoyed The Search for Spock too. It isn't the best of the Trek films and I know a lot of fanboys got upset over
Spoiler:
the original Enterprise being destroyed
but it had some good stuff such as the Kirk's son David being introduced, albeit briefly. The Genesis planet was kind of an interesting idea too. The film serves it's purpose well enough as a bridge to fill the gap between II and IV.
Old 05-05-13, 07:29 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

David is introduced in II.
Old 05-05-13, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
I actually liked Lloyd as Kruge. I've actually always enjoyed The Search for Spock too. It isn't the best of the Trek films and I know a lot of fanboys got upset over
Spoiler:
the original Enterprise being destroyed
but it had some good stuff such as the Kirk's son David being introduced, albeit briefly. The Genesis planet was kind of an interesting idea too. The film serves it's purpose well enough as a bridge to fill the gap between II and IV.
I think the main reason is because I grew up watching "Back to the Future", and didn't see "Search for Spock" until many years later. So, every time I see Kruge on screen, he seems like a more irritable Doc Brown.
Old 05-05-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

David is introduced in II.
Right, dunno what I was thinking He seemed like he had a bit more of a role in III though I guess.
Old 05-05-13, 01:07 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

In Star Trek IV, Nimoy got an amazing performance out of Bill Shatner because he respected him so much.
And in Star Trek V, Bill Shatner got a amazing performance out of Bill Shatner, because he respected Bill Shatner so much.
Old 05-05-13, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I, III, and IV are terrible ? Don't know what movies you've been watching, but those 3 movies are widely known as the best of the series.
Film I is beyond terrible and is generally hated.

II-IV are poorly conceived and even more poorly executed.

Of course people view them as the best of the series but that's like saying "The Fast and the Furious IV is the best of the series". It means jack shit because they are all terrible.

My wife and I recently watched II-IV. I haven't seen them in years, same as my wife, although she seen them more recently than I.

I remember not liking them but MY GOD! I can't believe how terribly made they are. My wife, who said she liked them kept looking at me during the movies and saying, "wow, I didn't remember how bad these were". She still ultimately likes the Spock death story but concedes that they are not well done.

They are bad, get over it. Star Trek relies on people's distorted memories and nostalgia for survival. Not saying other series don't but Star Trek certainly does this.
Old 05-05-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Film I is beyond terrible and is generally hated.

II-IV are poorly conceived and even more poorly executed.

Of course people view them as the best of the series but that's like saying "The Fast and the Furious IV is the best of the series". It means jack shit because they are all terrible.

My wife and I recently watched II-IV. I haven't seen them in years, same as my wife, although she seen them more recently than I.

I remember not liking them but MY GOD! I can't believe how terribly made they are. My wife, who said she liked them kept looking at me during the movies and saying, "wow, I didn't remember how bad these were". She still ultimately likes the Spock death story but concedes that they are not well done.

They are bad, get over it. Star Trek relies on people's distorted memories and nostalgia for survival. Not saying other series don't but Star Trek certainly does this.
You don't like them. It's cool Star Trek isn't for everyone. Coming into a thread about the films simply to trash talk is just threadcrapping.
Old 05-05-13, 02:04 PM

lol

clearly you have NO Clue what threadcrapping is considering the thread is about which film is worse!

hilarious!
Old 05-05-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Except for the fact that the thread is actually titled, Which Is Worse: Star Trek I or V?, not give your opinion on the Star Trek franchise/movies. People (myself included) have veered the thread off topic a bit and it has brought up discussion of other films in the series, but you are clearly just coming in here to post about how you dislike Star Trek so much and your opinion on this matter has to be known while calling fans "Trekkie nerds". That is threadcrapping.
Old 05-05-13, 02:28 PM

That's possibly one of the dumbest posts I've seen in awhile.

You literally have no clue what you're talking about.

This thread is all about what the views are.

"So, let's hear your thoughts, and why. Sound off..."

Get over it. If you are a treknerd it shouldn't matter what other people think. Why not try and own it instead of complaining like a child.

I feel that the films are poorly made, the acting is terrible and the stories are not that compelling to begin with. Instead of crying about my views, just state your own and move on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.