Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Man 3 (Black, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Iron Man 3 (Black, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
4.80%
16.80%
35.20%
17.60%
11.20%
6.40%
4.80%
0%
0.80%
0%
0%
Fryin Man 3: Rise of the Fry
2.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Iron Man 3 (Black, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-13, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,886 Posts
Re: Iron Man 3 (Black, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by raven56706
was there anything after the credits?
Yeah, about ten seconds of Gwyneth Paltrow doing jumping jacks naked.
Old 05-03-13, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I liked this one more than The Avengers.
Old 05-03-13, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

well there goes my interest.
Old 05-03-13, 07:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mostaccioli
i saw it in 3d and didn't like it. last time i felt this bad let down was for matrix 3.
Wow. I can understand not loving it, but The Matrix Revolutions? That's harsh.
Old 05-03-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll be seeing it again this weekend. Gonna watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Iron Man 1 as well.
Old 05-03-13, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. Overall, I really liked it. I felt it was the movie IM2 should have been, a standalone action movie that wasn't trying to act as a teaser for The Avengers. Had a feel of an old 80s action movie, which I think can be attributed to Shane Black. (Incidentally, anyone else notice that almost all of the movies he scripts/directs take place at Christmas time with the climax always occurring on Christmas Eve?) In fact, it felt almost like one of those movies with Iron Man in it as opposed to an Iron Man movie, which isn't a bad thing.
My only gripe is the same as others.
Spoiler:
I don't mind them not having the real Mandarin, but I thought it would turn out he was a terrorist working for Killian with that assumed name because he heard it elsewhere. Instead he was just some doofus that got played for laughs in the end. It's a good thing I'm only a casual fan of the comic, or I would have been royally pissed.

Post credits scene: LOVED IT!!!
Spoiler:
I think they've done about all they can with Iron Man as a solo act, but I would gladly welcome an Iron Man/Hulk buddy movie to act as a spin-off. Ruffalo and RDJ work well together, and I think with Shane Black writing it could be really fun.

In terms of the post credits sequence: best one ever!!!
Old 05-03-13, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it. Overall, I really liked it. I felt it was the movie IM2 should have been, a standalone action movie that wasn't trying to act as a teaser for The Avengers. Had a feel of an old 80s action movie, which I think can be attributed to Shane Black. (Incidentally, anyone else notice that almost all of the movies he scripts/directs take place at Christmas time with the climax always occurring on Christmas Eve?) In fact, it felt almost like one of those movies with Iron Man in it as opposed to an Iron Man movie, which isn't a bad thing.
My only gripe is the same as others.
Spoiler:
I don't mind them not having the real Mandarin, but I thought it would turn out he was a terrorist working for Killian with that assumed name because he heard it elsewhere. Instead he was just some doofus that got played for laughs in the end. It's a good thing I'm only a casual fan of the comic, or I would have been royally pissed.

Post credits scene: LOVED IT!!!
Spoiler:
I think they've done about all they can with Iron Man as a solo act, but I would gladly welcome an Iron Man/Hulk buddy movie to act as a spin-off. Ruffalo and RDJ work well together, and I think with Shane Black writing it could be really fun.

In terms of the post credits sequence: best one ever!!!

Shane Black directing the next Hulk film, maybe co-writing it, would be fucking awesome.

Yeah, the hardcore mouth breathers are up in arms over the Mandarin.
Old 05-03-13, 10:40 PM
Banned by request

It's a shame people don't like to be surprised. I loved the reveal, and Kingsley played it so well.
Old 05-03-13, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I was kind of disappointed that the end credit scene didn't allude or set up another movie like some of the previous ones did. I guess it's less necessary since all the characters are already there and established, but still
Old 05-03-13, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
It's a shame people don't like to be surprised. I loved the reveal, and Kingsley played it so well.
Agreed. I loved when he fell asleep mid-conversation. I was rolling. And he had the Manchester game in the background. hahaha
Old 05-03-13, 10:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw it earlier today, and was extremely disappointed by the Mandarin. I was expecting some kind of "kick ass and take names" villain who led the Ten Rings, not what we got. That one element drastically lowered the quality of the film for me. I'd give it a 6/10.
Old 05-03-13, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

They dropped the ball hard with The Mandarin. You don't play a hero's nemesis for a few laughs or to get over on people. And Killian claiming to be the real Mandarin is about as shoehorned and laughable as you can get.
Old 05-03-13, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Okay. First off I was pretty surprised when Gywneth Paltrow won sexiest woman but apparently that person watched Iron Man 3. She was smoking.

Overall I really liked the movie. I thought it fit the character of Tony Stark very well. And I actually did like the scenes of him outside of the suit. You get plenty of suit action throughout the film to make up for it.

The biggest weakness in the Iron Man series is the lack of an intriguing villain. And while I could see the mandarin as a fake from a mile away I didn't expect it to be that off the wall. The fake Mandarin was so much more intruiging than the real deal. I couldn't buy into Guy Pearce's motivation as a villain. Was he that pissed about getting stood up on the roof? So you can manipulate some genetic code then breathe fire and melt stuff? Nothing made any sense when it came to the villain. Luckily Iron Man doesn't need a strong villain to be a strong movie because seeing RDJ as Tony Stark is enough to hold up the story. I love that he is actually dealing with the events in the Avengers in this movie in a very believable way.

I really did enjoy the expanded role of Happy and Pepper. I especially liked Pepper at the end.

Also after rewatching IM1&2 and the avengers IM2 really doesn't deserve all the criticism it's received. It really was a great movie with great action scenes and character development as Tony deals with issues with being Iron Man and with his father. I would rank it above the third one.
Old 05-03-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow. I can understand not loving it, but The Matrix Revolutions? That's harsh.
I'm not sure if it is more harsh or not, but both the wife and I got an X-Men 3 vibe from this. It was a fun ride for sure, with lots of laughs. But it was also a hot mess, that seemed to lose direction quite often. Overall, it was enjoyable but imo ranks below IM1, Avengers, Thor, and Cap. America...
Old 05-03-13, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by dave-o
I'm not sure if it is more harsh or not, but both the wife and I got an X-Men 3 vibe from this. It was a fun ride for sure, with lots of laughs. But it was also a hot mess, that seemed to lose direction quite often. Overall, it was enjoyable but imo ranks below IM1, Avengers, Thor, and Cap. America...

Wow. Seriously?! The Matrix Revolutions and X3? Why don't you throw in the Godfather 3 and Indy 4 too while your at it. It wasn't anywhere near those movies.
Old 05-03-13, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just finished watching Iron Man 1 and I'd rate it about the same as Iron Man 3, with Iron Man 3 in the lead. The worst thing about Iron Man 1? Gwyneth Paltrow. She's awful. Yeah, I understand she's a bit green behind the ears as Pepper Potts hasn't found her strenght or calling, but towards the end it's cringe inducing. "BUT YOU'LL DIE!" awful line delivery.

I guess a lot of folks really do need to get acquainted with Shane Black's work

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (written and directed by)

written or co-written by:

Lethal Weapon
Lethal Weapon 2
Monster Squad
Last Boy Scout
Last Kiss Goodnight
Old 05-03-13, 11:52 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
I saw it earlier today, and was extremely disappointed by the Mandarin. I was expecting some kind of "kick ass and take names" villain who led the Ten Rings, not what we got. That one element drastically lowered the quality of the film for me. I'd give it a 6/10.
For some people, 6/10 is as good as it gets.
Old 05-03-13, 11:54 PM
Banned

For some people, 6/10 is as good as it gets.
That's sad, because films are out there which truly deliver on multiple levels. They're just hard to separate from the rest sometimes.
Old 05-04-13, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back. I loved it. I thought it was well written, and on par with the first one - maybe better.

I didn't read anything about this film, so I went in cold, and after hearing about some of the people reading beforehand about a certain reveal, that would have sucked knowing it was coming.

Two of the best action set pieces I've seen in a while as well.

Shane Black has never let me down.
Old 05-04-13, 01:16 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard a rumor Shane Black might be doing Bad Boys 3 next probably just writing. If true I look forward to it.
Old 05-04-13, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I think there's gonna be a real divide on this one between folks who don't mind the twist and those who think it's some kind of abomination -- I kind of expect this one to be hated online like Spider-Man 3 and Iron Man 2 were, even though I personally think they're both decent if flawed films.....
Old 05-04-13, 02:06 AM
Banned by request

Iron Man 2 is nowhere near as bad as Spider-Man 3. That being said, Iron Man 3 smokes both of them.
Old 05-04-13, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Iron Man 2 is nowhere near as bad as Spider-Man 3. That being said, Iron Man 3 smokes both of them.
Correct. Spiderman 3 is an abomination.
Old 05-04-13, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
I heard a rumor Shane Black might be doing Bad Boys 3 next probably just writing. If true I look forward to it.

I'd actually be down for that.
Old 05-04-13, 03:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Correct. Spiderman 3 is an abomination.
I actually like most of Spider-Man 3, but the Venom arc wasn't needed. Avi Arad should've minded his own business, and left Raimi alone.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.