Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Box Office Predictions: Iron Man 3 VS Man Of Steel

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Im3 or man Of Steel?
Iron Man 3
83.58%
Man Of Steel
16.42%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I think it'll be IM3. A big push from Avengers will help a lot. The last Superman movie will probably turn away some people from seeing the new one.
Old 04-21-13, 04:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Re: Box Office Predictions: Iron Man 3 VS Man Of Steel

IM3, but MoS will be very very strong. just the sequelitis will take this over to new heights for the franchise.
Old 04-21-13, 04:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't even think it will be close. IM3 is going to have a huge push from The Avengers, plus Tony Stark is a very in vogue character. MoS is coming off of, what, Sucker Punch and Superman Returns?
Old 04-21-13, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

What are we voting for? Which will make more money or which will be a better movie? I think it's obvious IRON MAN 3 will make more (it might be the biggest pic of the summer), but I think MAN OF STEEL will probably be the better movie.
Old 04-21-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Star Trek Into Darkness" will beat them both.
Old 04-21-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
What are we voting for? Which will make more money or which will be a better movie? I think it's obvious IRON MAN 3 will make more (it might be the biggest pic of the summer), but I think MAN OF STEEL will probably be the better movie.
Which will make more money
Old 04-21-13, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I'll go against the grain and say MoS. I think the public is hungry for a good or at least fun Superman flick. IM might end up suffering from Marvel overload.
Old 04-21-13, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Falc04
Not worldwide...Star Trek has never done well overseas. Even the 2009 movie made twice as much in the States than it did overseas.
Old 04-21-13, 05:18 PM
Banned

Old 04-21-13, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I don't even think it will be close. IM3 is going to have a huge push from The Avengers, plus Tony Stark is a very in vogue character. MoS is coming off of, what, Sucker Punch and Superman Returns?
This. IM3 has the push of one the second highest grossing movie ever made, a star who's currently hot as a supernova, and is the sequel to a superhero franchise that's become huge. MOS has a director who's had a string of flops and a character who has lots of public image but not much financial cache judging by SR and the comics that from my understanding, haven't sold at all lately. To say nothing of the ill will of a string of hideous movies (though I like SR more than some people).

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm surprised at the good will this movie has engendered. IMO, the trailers have been unimpressive, the director's resume is more than a little sketchy, as is the screenwriter's, and a good Superman movie has been elusive for almost 35 years. I'll be cautiously optimistic, but I think the omens aren't great.
Old 04-21-13, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I've said it before but I predict that Man of Steel is going to be similar to Batman Begins. It'll probably be a modest success but this movie is the proving grounds to the general public to make people care about Superman again.

Iron Man 3 seems like the easy bet for this poll. It's coming fresh off of The Avengers which should help it plus Tony Stark/Iron Man is probably one of the more popular characters (movie wise) that Marvel has at the moment.

I think Man of Steel will easily be the better film though.

I honestly can see Star Trek Into Darkness doing some impressive numbers but no way in hell it will do better than both Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel combined. I love Trek but realistically it just won't happen.
Old 04-21-13, 05:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think Man of Steel will easily be the better film though.
I don't know, Shane Black on IM3 versus Snyder for Superman? Plus the last good Superman movie was in 1980.

I'm not saying MoS won't be the better movie, but I do say it won't EASILY be the better movie.
Old 04-21-13, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
and the comics that from my understanding, haven't sold at all lately.
What in the world are you talking about? Superman and Action are two of DC's best-selling titles.
Old 04-21-13, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Restating the obvious, IM3 is going to crush MOS at the BO.
Old 04-21-13, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not good at guessing what movie will do better box office wise so I'll just guess what movie will give me a bigger boner. I like Amy Adams better than Gwyneth so Man of Steel. On the other hand, Ben Kingsley is hotter than both so Iron Man.
Old 04-21-13, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I don't know, Shane Black on IM3 versus Snyder for Superman? Plus the last good Superman movie was in 1980.

I'm not saying MoS won't be the better movie, but I do say it won't EASILY be the better movie.
True. I don't know I read some spoilers about Iron Man 3 a couple days back that have really soured my thoughts on the film. I shouldn't let them since I haven't seen it and I won't say what they are obviously but it kind of killed my buzz on the movie a little. I still really want to see Iron Man 3 though.

Plus honestly as a fanboy of The Dark Knight Trilogy I think the combination of Nolan and Goyer writing plus Snyder (who I really don't think is as bad as some make him out to be) could be a winning combination. I just have a lot of faith after what Nolan and company did for Batman that the film could turn out great.
Old 04-21-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

IM3 is tracking better than the Avengers was at that time. No way IM3 isn't the box office champ this summer.
Old 04-21-13, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

IM3 will beat MoS. Although personally, my most anticipated movie of the Summer is definitely Man of Steel. I'm trying not to get too excited though, Superman Returns was also my most anticipated movie of the Summer when it came out and I just as disappointed with it as everyone else was.

Iron Man 2 was not very good and completely forgettable but I guess that doesn't matter considering how well The Avengers did at the BO last year.
Old 04-21-13, 07:26 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Like most people here, I think Iron Man 3 will likely be a much bigger Box Office success than Man Of Steel, but I think that Man Of Steel might turn out to be the better actual movie.
Old 04-21-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
IM3 will beat MoS. Although personally, my most anticipated movie of the Summer is definitely Man of Steel. I'm trying not to get too excited though, Superman Returns was also my most anticipated movie of the Summer when it came out and I just as disappointed with it as everyone else was.
I personally think you can tell though that Man of Steel should be a better film than Superman Returns was ever going to be. I never really thought that film looked all that good and was always disappointed in the fact that they weren't trying to make it it's own film and just trying to emulate the Reeve films. I really like the fact that Man of Steel appears to be going for a completely different take on Superman and seems to be refreshing the character.
Old 04-21-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
This. IM3 has the push of one the second highest grossing movie ever made, a star who's currently hot as a supernova, and is the sequel to a superhero franchise that's become huge.
Is that enough to make people forget about the lackluster IM2?
Old 04-21-13, 09:16 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Is that enough to make people forget about the lackluster IM2?
Many people enjoyed it.
Old 04-21-13, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86
I've said it before but I predict that Man of Steel is going to be similar to Batman Begins. It'll probably be a modest success but this movie is the proving grounds to the general public to make people care about Superman.
I agree with this 100%. As long as this is competent movie, the sequel will do much better. Returns was pretty bad IMO so it may keep people away.
Old 04-21-13, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

IM3, it won't even be close.

I thought Iron Man 1 was a very good movie, Iron Man 2 was bad, Avengers was cheese, so I'm not super amped for IM3 -- but Shane Black has me curious to say the least. I have zero interest in Man of Steel.
Old 04-21-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Iron Man will beat Superman by $100 million.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.