Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Her -- D: Spike Jonze S: Phoenix -- 2013

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Her -- D: Spike Jonze S: Phoenix -- 2013

Old 01-12-14, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Her -- D: Spike Jonze S: Phoenix -- 2013

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it. Really thought provoking and great science fiction. I cannot help but feel that Jonze directed Lost in Translation and let Sophia Coppola take credit. This movie reminded me a lot of that one in terms of atmosphere. Also the fact that aside from LIT Sophia's efforts are three star at best. [/spoiler]
Sexist bullshit. Their styles are completely different.
Old 01-12-14, 04:15 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw it. Really thought provoking and great science fiction. I cannot help but feel that Jonze directed Lost in Translation and let Sophia Coppola take credit. This movie reminded me a lot of that one in terms of atmosphere. Also the fact that aside from LIT Sophia's efforts are three star at best.

Only distracting bit:
Spoiler:
felt like I had just watched a Matrix prequel after hearing about all of the OS' going away.
Hrmmm. To an extent I was very fascinated on wondering where they went. But TM never came to mind cuz of the history we already have on its setting.
Old 01-12-14, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was interesting that instead of the computer being outdated and phased out, it was humans and humanity that became too slow for the OS.

Where they went? To the great beyond, I guess.

THAT BITCH!
Old 01-12-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Hrmmm. To an extent I was very fascinated on wondering where they went. But TM never came to mind cuz of the history we already have on its setting.
One can speculate that when the OS' left , that's when humans decided to further AI and develop it into advanced robots (if you want to take Animatrix as canon).
Old 01-12-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Precisely the point, except on Lost in Translation. I'm not being sexist, I'm just saying he has more talent and his prints seemed to be all over that movie. Given Coppola's other works as a director, I'm saying it could be a possibility.
Old 01-12-14, 05:30 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched it and came away very impressed, though far from blown away. The main thing that stood out is the incredible performance by Joaquin Phoenix. Between this movie and The Master, I believe Phoenix has placed himself among the top 3 or so elite actors working. Sometimes I find it distracting how good this fucking guy is.

While Spike Jonze by no means needs Charlie Kaufman, I can't help but think that he would have taken this story to another level. There would be less predictability, characters that are a bit better fleshed out, an improved flow, more dynamic plot points, etc. On the flipside, I think if Jonze directed Synecdoche NY, he would've made that movie immeasurably more watchable. They are good alone, but damn near untouchable together in my opinion. Anyway, Jonze is awesome at what he does, and I'm thinking this will probably make it in my top five of 2013.
Old 01-12-14, 06:23 PM

Precisely the point, except on Lost in Translation. I'm not being sexist, I'm just saying he has more talent and his prints seemed to be all over that movie. Given Coppola's other works as a director, I'm saying it could be a possibility.
What are you basing this on? I've been a fan of both filmmakers for years and have never heard this theory.
Old 01-13-14, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Watched this today and loved everything about it - the commentary on social interactions, the prescience of near-future tech. Phoenix deserves any awards he may receive, as does Jonze for writing such a warm, personal film that is about cold disconnections. Really good stuff.
Old 01-13-14, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What are you basing this on? I've been a fan of both filmmakers for years and have never heard this theory.
they were married at the time and jonze was on site during filming. for the record i think it's 100% a coppola film. i doubt jonze had any more influence than any other director's SO would have.
Old 01-13-14, 09:49 AM

LiT is easily Coppola's most autobiographical film. I'm trying to think of one scene that has Spike's "prints" on it, and I'm drawing a blank.

On top of that, Giovanni Ribisi's character is clearly based on Jonze, and it's a pretty unflattering portrait. Why would Jonze have been such a willing participant in his own character assassination?

Say what you will about Coppola's subsequent films, but they are all in her voice. The idea that she let her husband "ghost direct" it is absurd.
Old 01-13-14, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I think LiT seemed like a natural growth from Virgin Suicides.

And yeah, Giovanni Ribisi's character and that whole relationship was apparently a mirror of Sofia's relationship with Jonze.

There have been a couple similar articles on Her being something of a response to LiT, but it's stretching:

Spoiler:
Her is Jonze's answer to Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation.

"Why do you think that?" I asked, not seeing a connection.

Steven explained he thinks that Her's protagonist Theodore Twombly is a stand-in for Jonze, Twombly's estranged wife Catherine is Coppola, and the OS in Her is actually a metaphor for Jonze's career. When Twombly apologizes to his ex-wife in Her, Jonze is actually apologizing to Coppola for focusing more on his work than her. Jonze and Coppola 'grew up' together before marrying and their ideas seem to have influenced each other's artistic development, just as Twombly describes his relationship to Catherine in Her.
Old 01-17-14, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Her nails the alienating effect of technology better than just about any film. There is such a sense of melancholy and reality here. Outright criminal that Phoenix wasn't nominated.
Old 01-18-14, 04:29 AM
Banned

It also nails how easily we make the technology part of our social culture. HER seemed like a natural progression of the tech being the social.
Old 01-18-14, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by conscience
This movie is tragic, beautiful, devastating and uplifting all at the same time. A gorgeous film.
Yeah, I just saw this today and would definitely agree with you. It's a very timely movie and a brilliant example of scifi at its best. So many people walk around staring at their phones these days and we're in the early stages of talking to our phones with Siri and Google Voice. Her takes it to a pretty realistic setting of where we'll end up in 15-20 years or so.

I'd love to learn more about the film's unique costuming and the prevalence of so much red (or shades of red) in the production design.

You can also think Her as a high-minded prequel to the Terminator movies!
Old 01-19-14, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I really liked this movie. I hope the video game is just as good.
Old 01-27-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

In case anyone missed it.

<iframe id="wo007_867807" src="http://cms.springboardplatform.com/embed_iframe/45/video/867807/wo007/worstpreviews.com/10/1/" width="395" height="329" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
Old 01-28-14, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Enjoyed this quite a bit, and really impressed by how the movie was pretty much carried by the performance of Phoenix and the voice acting of Scarlett. I thought she in particular sold the emotion of the OS and made the connection believable by being so darn charming That said, I thought it all kind of came apart too quickly towards the end, and wasn't a fan of all the operating systems just packing up and leaving, and would have preferred a better set up or conclusion of the aspect of her talking to different people at once.

Reading the other posts here, it really makes me curious how it would have turned out with the other voice of Samantha.
Old 01-28-14, 10:59 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie as well. I couldn't help but wonder if it would've played out as well if they used Samantha Morton's original vocal work instead. It'll certainly be an interesting DVD/Blu-Ray bonus feature if they had that as an alternate track...
Old 01-28-14, 11:09 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Yeah, I just saw this today and would definitely agree with you. It's a very timely movie and a brilliant example of scifi at its best.
Agreed. This would make a nice double-feature with Moon.
Old 01-28-14, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, its a credible theory. It happens all the time, directors letting their spouses ghost-direct their sophomore films.
Old 02-03-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Just saw it and was really impressed. One of my best of the year.
Old 02-03-14, 12:59 PM
Banned

I'd like to add that... I'd love to own that video game that was being played in the film. Having a video game character be as vulgar as I am...but towards me...specifically? Sold!
Old 02-21-14, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

This was amazing and one of the most thought provoking films I've seen in a long time. Really makes you stop and analyze your relationships with people in your life. Phoenix was great as was Johansson and Amy Adams was as beautiful as ever. Definitely one of the best best of last year.
Old 02-22-14, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I cannot help but feel that Jonze directed Lost in Translation and let Sophia Coppola take credit. This movie reminded me a lot of that one in terms of atmosphere. Also the fact that aside from LIT Sophia's efforts are three star at best.
He probably did it to pay her back for ghost directing Adaptation.
Old 02-24-14, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts

Saw it yesterday. It left me... unsettled ha. Really good movie that leaves you with a lot to think about. Also kinda trippy to see the scenes between Phoenix and Adams after having seem The Master.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.