Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Evil Dead (Alvarez, 2013) El Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Evil Dead (Alvarez, 2013) El Reviews Thread
4.35%
6.52%
17.39%
10.87%
19.57%
8.70%
8.70%
4.35%
4.35%
2.17%
0%
Evil Dead? More like just...you know what? Fuck you and this film.
13.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Evil Dead (Alvarez, 2013) El Reviews Thread

Old 04-09-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Evil Dead (Alvarez, 2013) El Reviews Thread

You know what this movie needed? More Kandarian Demon shit talkin. Loved the giggling reaction but come on, the demons should taunt the fuck (there you go Snake) outta ya.
Old 04-09-13, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
True. From an interview I saw with Campbell, Alvarez, and Tapert. It seems that Alvarez is the one that really wants to get the worlds together. I'm game.

Campbell has recently mentioned that even though Ash is older, he may not exactly be wiser. I saw AoD again yesterday. I like the film but at the same time it went further in a direction I wished it wouldn't. Too much comedy as the tone. Whereas ED2 balanced out the genres it was working in. Also Ash is a dick in AoD. Always weirded me out with that aspect of his character going that way.
Now that you mention AoD's tone, I wish there was an HK BD release. In HK, MGM has the rights to the movie and they have a near pristine print of the director's cut. This version, unlike the one released in the US (which was partially assembled from betamax and VHS tapes), has completed sound effects and music. That helped the abandoned windmill to have that eerie feel from the first movie. And, despite how much I enjoy the S-Mart finale, there's something so appropriate (and potentially awesome) about Ash ending up in a post apocalyptic (and likely demon infested) future.
Old 04-09-13, 02:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what bits I've gathered of the DC, it really seems like is like that one more. I think the TC ending is fun still but it kind of doesn't fit in the film for me.

I wonder what ending Raimi would continue off of? I really like seeing Ash screwed at the end of AoD. It got well with the tone ED2 established.
Old 04-09-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gore was fun and so well done. Many scenes had me squirming in my seat in a good way. The director was really on point. I hope he does more horror. I loved the many nods to the original and for the most part I really enjoyed myself. The audience was going wild too, and that always helps.

I do think that the opening could've been cut; it really didn't add much to me. There were a few scenes the dialog was as cringe worthy as the gore. Plus, I really, really, really didn't like the whole "bury her alive and bring her back with a homemade defibrillator" angle. It was like "we now interrupt your awesome movie with some nonsense. Ok, that's over, now back to your movie."

I much prefer the original, but as far as remakes go, this one was pretty good. Flawed, but good.
Old 04-09-13, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked the movie overall. I thought the gore was very impressive and the look of the film was great too. I didn't really like the opening either, but it seems that every horror movie released nowadays has to have a hook at the beginning so people won't leave. I hope the 2nd weekend drop isn't too big so we can get a proper sequel and not some direct to video BS.
Old 04-09-13, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i pretty much agree with what everyone else has been saying. i enjoyed it but by no means was it great. i did REALLY enjoy jane levy's performance and especially the final 10 minutes once the blood rain kicked in. could've done without the opening bit though. very impressed with the gore even though obviously it wasn't 100% practical. 3.5/5
Old 04-09-13, 08:06 PM

Boy, did I not like this. I was looking forward to it thanks to the positive buzz. I never need to see it again. Bored me. Acting wasn't bad, okay direction and it had a nice look but I found it all dull. I couldn't wait for it to end.
Old 04-09-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
You know what this movie needed? More Kandarian Demon shit talkin. Loved the giggling reaction but come on, the demons should taunt the fuck (there you go Snake) outta ya.
"Your sister's getting raped in hell!" Can you say The Exorcist?

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Now that you mention AoD's tone, I wish there was an HK BD release. In HK, MGM has the rights to the movie and they have a near pristine print of the director's cut. This version, unlike the one released in the US (which was partially assembled from betamax and VHS tapes), has completed sound effects and music. That helped the abandoned windmill to have that eerie feel from the first movie. And, despite how much I enjoy the S-Mart finale, there's something so appropriate (and potentially awesome) about Ash ending up in a post apocalyptic (and likely demon infested) future.
After all of the hell he went through in the trilogy, I kind of like him getting a happy ending. Isn't that MGM disc OOP and currently going for silly sums on eBay?

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
From what bits I've gathered of the DC, it really seems like is like that one more. I think the TC ending is fun still but it kind of doesn't fit in the film for me.
Are there any other differences besides the ending?
Old 04-09-13, 10:56 PM

In regards to Army of Darkness...

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
After all of the hell he went through in the trilogy, I kind of like him getting a happy ending.
I agree, and I think the theatrical ending is much better in my opinion. The other ending didn't work for me and didn't have that 'punch' the first two films had with their 'downer' Ash get's into more trouble with no way out endings.

Are there any other differences besides the ending?
There is plenty of differences between the two versions, and I don't have time to list them, so I'll just let this visual comparison do the job.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1978003

Personally, except for the complete windmill sequence( minus the awfully uncool "I'm not so good" line replacing the kickass "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun!" line in the theatrical) and the very brief bit of gore in the pit. I thought the rest of the material was not that good and dragged the films pacing down too much. So my ideal version would be the theatrical version with those two scenes/moments added and the 'good,bad..' one liner intact.
Old 04-10-13, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113

After all of the hell he went through in the trilogy, I kind of like him getting a happy ending.
Plus the theatrical ending fits the tone of the third movie much better. It's a very satisfying ending, especially since nothing else from this series has come out since. I don't like the DC ending at all as feels like it's from another movie.
Old 04-10-13, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Personally, except for the complete windmill sequence( minus the awfully uncool "I'm not so good" line replacing the kickass "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun!" line in the theatrical) and the very brief bit of gore in the pit. I thought the rest of the material was not that good and dragged the films pacing down too much. So my ideal version would be the theatrical version with those two scenes/moments added and the 'good,bad..' one liner intact.
Sam Raimi always did acknowledge that the director's cut was only so in name. That's why the theatrical cut has his prefered and far better one-liner of "good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun" since that was the product of a minor reshoot (done when the American ending was comissioned) while the studio was keeping the film hostage while they negotiated with another studio. I forget the details of what happened but the end result was that Raimi didn't really get to fine tune the movie as he'd have liked.

And I agree with your ideal version of the movie. Like I said, I really enjoy the S-Mart finale (it is indeed the punchier ending) but the idea behind the post apocalyptic ending was very good. It just needed a reshoot or a pickup to get it just right.

That said, I actually get a kick out of the extra bits with Bad Ash (yes, even the flame thrower mouth ).
Old 04-20-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

There were only 2 other people in the showing I saw today, found that interesting. Anyway the movie was pretty effective from a visual sense. Great effects and some cool death scenes. That being said, the movie suffered from the usual horror movie tropes. Stupid people making stupid decisions. Why is hippy dude reading the book with all the warnings all over it? Why are they even in that place to begin with? I don't care that it was part of Mia and David's family, it's a old, disgusting, dilapidated house out in the middle of nowhere...who would agree to go there for any reason, let alone for an intervention.
By the way, who is paying the electric and water bills for this dump and why? Also loved the part where David gets his arm smashed repeatedly with a crowbar but it's perfectly fine afterward.

Despite these issues and more, it was an entertaining movie. I gave it 3 stars for the visual enjoyment of the film.

Somewhat related, as I was watching the movie I was thinking about other movies with similar levels of blood. There's one I can't remember the title of...I know it's been released within the last 10 years, maybe even 5. There weren't any ghosts, demons, or anything supernatural involved. A slasher film. The entire house that the story took place in was just drenched in blood by the film's end. It's not a big name film or from a franchise (not Saw or High Tension, etc)
Old 04-20-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Somewhat related, as I was watching the movie I was thinking about other movies with similar levels of blood. There's one I can't remember the title of...I know it's been released within the last 10 years, maybe even 5. There weren't any ghosts, demons, or anything supernatural involved. A slasher film. The entire house that the story took place in was just drenched in blood by the film's end. It's not a big name film or from a franchise (not Saw or High Tension, etc)
Inside?
Old 04-20-13, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yup that's it, thanks. Just watched the trailer on YouTube and that's the film I was thinking of.
Old 04-21-13, 07:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
There were only 2 other people in the showing I saw today, found that interesting. Anyway the movie was pretty effective from a visual sense. Great effects and some cool death scenes. That being said, the movie suffered from the usual horror movie tropes. Stupid people making stupid decisions. Why is hippy dude reading the book with all the warnings all over it? Why are they even in that place to begin with? I don't care that it was part of Mia and David's family, it's a old, disgusting, dilapidated house out in the middle of nowhere...who would agree to go there for any reason, let alone for an intervention.
By the way, who is paying the electric and water bills for this dump and why? Also loved the part where David gets his arm smashed repeatedly with a crowbar but it's perfectly fine afterward.

Despite these issues and more, it was an entertaining movie. I gave it 3 stars for the visual enjoyment of the film.

The house wasn't a shithole the last time they were there. The prologue kind of set up wtf happened and well...since that time it went to the shits.
Old 04-21-13, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bullshit. David and Mia were in their early twenties in this movie.
That place was in such a state of decay it looked like it hadn't been used in dozens of years. You're suggesting that the last time they were at the cabin as a family (I don't know, 5 years ago according to the pictures of a younger David and Mia on the wall) that it was nice? Bitch please.

Last edited by Osiris3657; 04-21-13 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-21-13, 01:37 PM
Banned

Not really. I've seen shut like that happen. If humidity, water, etc can get in...shit gets fucked up. Also add in we don't know wtf those freaks at the beginning did to it either.
Old 07-16-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Just finished watching this and am glad I only paid $1.62 for the Red Box rental. Garbage. Absolute garbage. Loved the gore but it's too bad it's not in a better film. You could totally spot Diablo Cody's rewrite dialogue and that's what sort of killed it for me. That and it was a bore of a film to sit through.
Old 07-16-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't like it either. I struggled to get through to the end. About half way through I had to remind myself that I was watching the movie because my mind kept wandering and I would randomly pick up my tablet to play Candy Crush.

Maybe I wasn't in the mood to watch it at the time or maybe it really was just that bad.

Opening sequence was cool though.
Old 07-16-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts

Too any of the die hard fans who didn't like it....(I'm going to be that guy here who says it) try going back and watching it again. Am I saying you will definitely like it? Not at all, I'm just saying to go back to it again to give it a chance the second time around.

I say that because my expectations were way, way, too damn high - Once the blood started to flow, I realized how good I had it.

The only part I really couldn't stand (actually embarrassing to watch) was the damn
Spoiler:
Shock you back to life bit complete with cheesy ass mainstream horror music
Why the hell did they put that in there? It doesn't fit at all.

Yes, the flick fails on many levels but it also exceeds on others.

I went out to buy the blu-ray today and to my excitement I found that Target has an exclusive steel book version for only 20 bucks (and it's the only version on blu you can buy at their store).

Anyway, I liked it a lot - gonna give it another spin soon as well.

My favorite scene?
Spoiler:
"Don't cut it!" "Don't cut it!"
Old 07-16-13, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Bummer. Movie was alright. Not enough unique voice in it. The original trilogy are one-of-a-kind movies. This is just another R-rated modern horror movie, elevated by being an Evil Dead movie. More enjoyable than those throw away slashers. But nothing great.
Old 07-17-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm really surprised this movie had as much positive buzz as it did.

It's not scary at all. Not even creepy. Say what you will about the campiness of the original, but it at least managed to invoke a sense of dread at times. Even the voices of the possessed (and what they said) paled in comparison to those in the original. Nothing here touches the original's scene with Cheryl guessing the playing cards.

The dialogue... my gosh, the dialogue. I loved (read: hated) how people would awkwardly drop information into casual conversation: a character isn't just "Mia," she's "your sister Mia" (wink to the audience), David didn't just get a job at a garage, but "a garage in Chicago" (oh, I get it! He went away for this job!). There are more graceful ways than this to feed the audience information.

When the movie broke rules from the original, it wasn't for the better. In the original, a deadite kept on kicking until they were totally dismembered. In this movie, a blow to the head with part of a toilet would do them in for good. Introducing a "cure" for the main actress was eyeroll worthy; and wasn't it convenient that her shower burns disappeared along with her possession?

And who the heck was the chick who rose out of the ground at the end? It would've been MUCH more effective for Mia to have to face off against her four former friends at the end instead of this inexplicable entity.

So, yeah... I can find very little to recommend about this flick except maybe the gore... but most of that was revealed in the red band trailer, which managed to be much more creepy than the actual movie was.
Old 07-17-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
And who the heck was the chick who rose out of the ground at the end? It would've been MUCH more effective for Mia to have to face off against her four former friends at the end instead of this inexplicable entity.
I think it was the girl from he beginning of the movie. No? I took it that she was buried, and a demonic entity used her body with intentions of staying longer.

I rewatched the last fifteen minutes. The climax was pretty cool. And the chase around the cabin was pretty intense. I'm always reminded of Blood Simple when I see a scene like that.

Some day, they're going to make a cool sequence, with nail guns that have safety switches.

Did they run out of money during the Ash scene? If it was a budget issue, I would have cut tons of stuff out, and then had something more epic with Ash.

I would enjoy a sequel with Ash. It's not like the fun, freaky horror tone couldn't be replicated again. Raimi did it right with Drag Me to Hell.
Old 07-17-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I think it was the girl from he beginning of the movie. No? I took it that she was buried, and a demonic entity used her body with intentions of staying longer.

I rewatched the last fifteen minutes. The climax was pretty cool. And the chase around the cabin was pretty intense. I'm always reminded of Blood Simple when I see a scene like that.

Some day, they're going to make a cool sequence, with nail guns that have safety switches.

Did they run out of money during the Ash scene? If it was a budget issue, I would have cut tons of stuff out, and then had something more epic with Ash.

I would enjoy a sequel with Ash. It's not like the fun, freaky horror tone couldn't be replicated again. Raimi did it right with Drag Me to Hell.
Agree with the nail gun stuff, always bothers me because there are safety faurgs on them. The only movie I think did it right is Final Destination 3.
Old 07-18-13, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Good, but not great. The Thing is still the gold standard for remakes, but Evil Dead fared much better than the remakes of Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street.

I think my biggest issue with the movie was that the red band trailer promised a much more intense experience than the movie delivered. There were a few bits in that trailer that came off differently in the movie, namely the tongue-slicing scene and the arm-cutting scene. The tongue slice looked like it had been darkened for the movie and it was hard to tell what was happening. Actually, a lot of the stuff in the movie looked like it had been darkened making the gore and mutilation harder to see. Was this done to secure an R?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.