Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Man wins refund over movie scene that was only in trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Man wins refund over movie scene that was only in trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: Man wins refund over movie scene that was only in trailer

Been mad when they use music in a trailer not in the movie too. I saw "The Time Guardian" just because its TV spot had part of Tangerine Dream's score for "Miracle Mile" in it (which I was one of about 10 people to see theatrically, released by the same company) yet there was no Tangerine Dream music in "The Time Guardian". Remember taking some people to see "1492" at a theater I worked for at the time, and them being pissed that "Sadeness" by Enigma, which was in that movie's trailer, wasn't in the movie.

Suing for a movie whose advertising implied nudity, but really having none, would of course be entirely justifiable. The responsible parties' family fortunes should be turned over to the plantiff in a case like that.
Old 04-01-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Sounds like you just needed this. No judgements, I bought it back in the day.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AZJSjrox_2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-02-13, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
That said, I wonder if a company could make a trailer that included no footage that ended up in the movie. Wouldn't that be some kind of false advertising? It's interesting to think about.
The first trailer for the 2007 Transformers was 100% not used in the film. It was the trailer showing the Mars rover & bot shadow. They used some of it in the later movies but not in the movie it was advertising.
Old 04-02-13, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I'll be able to send my kids through college thanks to the WTC Spider-Man teaser trailer!!
Old 04-02-13, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
And in that case, the movie ended up being better than the trailer!
Not really. About the only good parts were the few scenes shared by Christopher Lambert and Adrian Paul. The fight against Donnie Yen was pretty cool too but it ended up a cocktease given that he never fought again (and was later killed in the stupidest way possible).

That said, the theatrical cut was loads better than the producer's cut (the latter being the only cut on DVD).
Old 04-02-13, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
The first trailer for the 2007 Transformers was 100% not used in the film. It was the trailer showing the Mars rover & bot shadow. They used some of it in the later movies but not in the movie it was advertising.
Actually that footage was mostly used in the 2007 movie. It's the Mars rover footage that's shown to Jon Voight late in the movie.
Old 04-02-13, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
My refund would be for Hard Rain. I though the scene where the deputy says, "But you're the sheriff!" and Randy Quaid says, "Im the what?" was a very cool delivery and pretty chilling... Not in the movie at all. I was pissed (in movie terms pissed, not real life problems pissed)
In a similar vein, I was slightly annoyed that Kevin Spacey's "Now you're gonna have to deal with both of us" line in the trailer for The Negotiator was nowhere to be found in the film.
Old 04-02-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Great, now they'll add messages in trailers saying "Scenes shown may not be included in the final movie." But I have always wondered when this happens, how such scenes were deemed good enough to be included in the trailer (out of ALL the other scenes they could have picked), but not good enough to be in the final film.
I read something a while back that explained it: since promotions and advertising have to start early, especially on bigger movies, one thing that the promotional people will do is go through the script and pick out scenes they think will make a cool trailer. As those scenes are filmed, they're given to the promotional department to assemble the trailer. Since this is well before the director assembles his cut, that's how the different scenes end up in trailers.

That said, I wonder if a company could make a trailer that included no footage that ended up in the movie. Wouldn't that be some kind of false advertising? It's interesting to think about.
Paramount did the teaser for Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country using only footage from the original series and first five movies. I remember thinking it was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen.
Old 04-02-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

While I'm glad this was nothing more than the refund of the ticket, it didn't need to go to court.
It didn't. It was a complaint filed with the New Zealand Advertising Standards Authority, which is a self-regulating agency in the country. There's no direct parallel in the US, although the Better Business Bureau might be close in some ways.
http://www.asa.co.nz/

In addition to the ones already mentioned, Citizen Kane has a trailer that doesn't show any movie footage. Teasers often lack film footage. I'm thinking teasers for Toys, Terminator 2, Austin Powers 2, and Strange Days.

Sure. I'm just wondering if you could make a trailer showing nothing but explosions and gunfights and the movie itself was two guys sitting at a dinner table. You aren't getting what you're paying for, are you?
I think that would definitely fall under false advertising. Look at Paramount's defense here; they're saying that although the movie is missing a few shots from the trailer, the trailer still does convey "a true and fair reflection of the film which could not reasonably be considered misleading or deceptive." The trailer made the movie look like an action film, which it was.

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I read something a while back that explained it: since promotions and advertising have to start early, especially on bigger movies, one thing that the promotional people will do is go through the script and pick out scenes they think will make a cool trailer. As those scenes are filmed, they're given to the promotional department to assemble the trailer. Since this is well before the director assembles his cut, that's how the different scenes end up in trailers.
This.

Movie trailers are started before they're done filming. They then go through dozens of permutations where all sorts of different people have to approve it. So scenes that the director shot but ultimately cuts may make it into the trailer before they were cut, and removing them would mean going through the approval process all over again.

Here's an old but good article that goes into detail about the art of making trailers:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/28/ma...l-take-34.html

The article notes that M Night Shyamalan was sort of unique because he dictated that any scene he cut from the film had to be removed from the trailers, and that the trailers couldn't show any footage from the last 3rd of the film. Of course, this was back when he was very successful with his "twist" movies.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Been mad when they use music in a trailer not in the movie too.
This happens because of the above. A film's score is often the very last thing done for a film, done after the final edit since the score often has to be timed exactly to a scene. Therefore, when editing the trailer, there's no original score to work from, so instead they use cues from other films or pop songs. Nowadays it's become a bit more common to commission a piece specifically for the trailer. The trailers for Star Trek 2009 and Inception are two that I've noted having unique trailer scores.
Old 04-04-13, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are loads of trailers for oddball movies that try to make them look more mainstream. Inglourious Basterds' trailer only focused on a third of the actual movie. Observe and Report's tried to make it look like a typical Seth Rogen movie. Magic Mike was selling a Soderbergh movie to bacherlorette patries.

Could you argue that a trailer for a bad movie is misleading if it makes the movie look good?

In the end it's just a guy trying to make some money off a frivolous complaint.