Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

G.I. Joe 3 (D: D.J. Caruso)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

G.I. Joe 3 (D: D.J. Caruso)

Old 04-26-13, 06:37 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe 3: Director, Cast TBA

Yeah. Baroness would be awesome.
Old 04-26-13, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

They really need to bring back Stuart Beattie as screenwriter. He actually rewrote the bulk of the first movie as they were shooting in order to fix as many script problems as they possibly could in no time at all. For instance, the original final act was just Duke running around with a comatose Baroness.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
the idea that someone had about Baroness coming back and freeing Destro.
I love it too. Would be even cooler if he also uses Duke as a puppet against the Joes. I just like the notion of mutual nemesis such as Cobra Commander and Destro using Duke and Baroness as a chess pieces between them. Afterall, the first movie linked those four characters together.
Old 04-26-13, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to see a Dreadknocks storyline. Either that or the storyline where Snake Eyes was unmasked.
Old 06-11-13, 07:10 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures and MGM are making a deal with Jon M. Chu to direct another installment of G.I. Joe. It was Chu who essentially guided a do-over from 2009′s G. I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra, and it wasn’t the easiest process. The film was refashioned with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Bruce Willis as its core leads. Even then, Paramount pulled the film from its 2012 release calendar (to make it 3D and do some creative enhancements) and did the same with World War Z (to shoot a whole new third act). It looks like the studio’s gamble will pay off in both cases. G.I. Joe: Retaliation came out in March to gross $365 million globally, and WWZ is beginning to generate positive buzz after being prematurely written off because of its production issues, now that people are seeing it’s a good movie.

It’s early days, but I’ve heard that Skydance Productions will be back in as financing partner with Paramount. The studio is meeting with a short list of four writers and should set one shortly. Chu has certainly broadened his reach, taking the G.I. Joe job after helming two Step Up dance movies and the Paramount documentary Never Say Never: Justin Bieber, a $13 million budget film that grossed $73 million domestic. Chu is repped by WME and Principato Young Entertainment.
Old 06-11-13, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, here's hoping this time he delivers more than just one awesome action sequence. Less ninjas, please. More of Cobra Commander. And bring back Duke!
Old 06-12-13, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Well, here's hoping this time he delivers more than just one awesome action sequence. Less ninjas, please. More of Cobra Commander. And bring back Duke!
Unfortunately if the producer, di Bonventura, has is way, apparently there will be more ninjas.

fitprod
Old 06-12-13, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the intro data files shows Major Bludd is somewhere. Bring him in.
Old 06-12-13, 10:32 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No love for Serpentor?
Old 06-12-13, 10:36 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

would definitely like to see Duke come back somehow.
Old 06-12-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
would definitely like to see Duke come back somehow.
I've said it before, they opened Pandora's Box with the nanomites in the first movie. They are "perfect little healers" according to CC in the first movie. Which means Destro is very much alive and likely itching for payback. He doesn't much like Duke and has a hardon for the Baroness. A perfect FU to both Duke and CC would be to bring back Duke as his personal henchman (good way to bring back Doctor Mindbender and maybe even have him switch sides) while keeping Duke's former fiancée, who also happens to be CC's sister in the movie universe, as his brainwashed moll.

Somewhere in between reveal that Zartan is also alive and bring in his Dreadnoks.

Conclude it with most of the nanomites destroyed and or incapacitated to some degree. That way it all plays out with Duke back in command but once again mortal, Destro still a metal faced freak but mortal, Baroness no longer having the nanomites control her but not before her mindmap is totally rewritten and she is permanently the villainess we all know and love (and mortal), Zartan permanently a shape shifter and potentially immortal (which could be used in later movies as impetus for his gradual repentance and ascension as Master of the Arashikage Clan), and Cobra Commander with an army of brainwashed soldiers under his command.

Also, bring back the international teams so you can rotate the cast. I know fans were upset that the Joes weren't exclusively an American team in the first movie but I liked that it opened the door for a truly global strike team and it allowed for a revolving door of cast members. Honestly, only Duke and Hawk should be recurring characters, even if Duke doesn't necessarily headline every adventure.

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-12-13 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-12-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Conclude it with most of the nanomites destroyed and or incapacitated to some degree. .
Final scene of the movie takes place in a bunker in Colorado... wait...
Old 06-12-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by resinrats
I know that I should get that but the reference flew right over my head.
Old 06-12-13, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He doesn't much like Duke and has a hardon for the Baroness.
Hiyo! Baroness probably caused more spontaneous puberty breakouts than Kathy Ireland's SI cover.

I've been collecting Joes since the 80s and it's generally accepted by collectors that what killed off the line entirely was the inclusion of multiple ninjas. Well, that and the day-glo weaponry. Considering that both the movies are both crapped on by us true-believers, it isn't surprising to hear that the next movie will be GI Ninja: Ninja Ninja Ninja. Ah well, we'll always have Resolute.
Old 06-12-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by resinrats
Wait. Was that a reference to the season finale of Revolution?

Originally Posted by Screwadu
Hiyo! Baroness probably caused more spontaneous puberty breakouts than Kathy Ireland's SI cover.
Which is why I love that in the first movie, Duke, Destro, and Storm Shadow are all chasing after the Baroness' tail.
Old 06-12-13, 03:12 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=RocShemp;11728438

Somewhere in between reveal that Zartan is also alive and bring in his Dreadnoks.

[/QUOTE]

They would fuck up the Dreadnoks so bad. Zartan and the twins are my favorite characters from the cartoon, design wise and cheese dickery. So please don't bring the Dreadnoks in the movie if they can't be done right.
Old 06-12-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I'm fine without Duke in the sequel. Bringing in Johnson as Road Block was perfect. He should be the lead in the next sequel.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-12-13 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-12-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I disagree. Despite casting the Rock in the role, Roadblock is just a secondary character. A cool one but not the character I want to see leading the Joes.
Old 12-16-13, 08:56 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

"G.I. Joe" fans should expect the unexpected when the high-octane franchise returns to the big screen.

Director Jon Chu is back to helm the threequel, which is being written by "Snow White and the Huntsman" and "Divergent" scribe Evan Daugherty. Together, the duo is currently hard at work crafting a new story filled with "lots of fun surprises."

Chu told MTV News that he is "taking it to another level with this one," though it's too early in the process to offer up any spoilers. He did, however, promise that "it's gonna be a really fun movie. We're taking it in a whole new direction."

"G.I. Joe 3" will feature a mix of old favorites and "exciting" newcomers, Chu said. [Spoiler alert for those who haven't seen "G.I. Joe: Retaliation."]

But could Channing Tatum return to the series? Though his character Duke died in "G.I. Joe: Retaliation," some fans were reluctant to believe that he was really gone.

"You never know," Chu teased. "Storm Shadow died in the first one and came back in the second one, and then other characters have died and never come back. The G.I. Joe world, the best thing about it is you never know who's coming back and who's not."

Let's not rule out the possibility of a time jump, either.

Mum's the word on which new characters are expected to feature in the third film, but Chu revealed that they are "exciting ones that I know the fans will love, and people that I've always wanted to work with."
Old 12-16-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: G.I. Joe 3 - D: Chu

I know Chu is just being coy to not alienate fans of Duke and/or Tatum early on but I do hope they bring back Tatum as Duke. He and Johnson had the best chemistry onscreen. That was sorely missed after the first 15 minutes.
Old 12-16-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know Chu is just being coy to not alienate fans of Duke and/or Tatum early on but I do hope they bring back Tatum as Duke. He and Johnson had the best chemistry onscreen. That was sorely missed after the first 15 minutes.
I agree. Johnson and Tatum felt like equals, while Johnson and the remaining Joes he ran with during the rest of the movie felt like his background singers. I that group, but they weren't really bringing the chemistry (like say the group from the Fast and Furious movies does).

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
No love for Serpentor?
I actually wouldn't be opposed to it, but it would be nice to get a movie where Cobra Commander can really lay down that shit. Destro, and Baroness too for that matter. I think what we got of Cobra Commander in the second movie was really good. I just wanted more of it.

Also, adding my voice to the chorus of chill out on the ninjas.
Old 06-18-14, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Paramount Pictures Senior Vice President Edward Ryan confirmed today that G. I. Joe 3 is slated for release in 2016.

Mr. Ryan mentioned this during the CineEurope 2014 Event.
Old 06-18-14, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That doesn't look like macnorton's tattoo.
Old 06-18-14, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I see they're likely to follow up on their promise of more ninjas.

Originally Posted by My Other Self
That doesn't look like macnorton's tattoo.
Old 06-18-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

I recently saw G.I. Joe: Retaliation and thought it was absolutely terrible. It seemed like the movie was lost somewhere in the editing room, I had such high hopes for it. Yet I'm still looking forward to part three. Hopefully thy can fix everything that wen wrong with part two.

With the success of 22 Jump Street I have to think that they'll do whatever it takes to get Channing Tatum back to the franchise.
Old 06-19-14, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

I've seen better story and acting in a Golan Globus film than that trash called Retaliation.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.