Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla (2014, Edwards) S: Taylor-Johnson, Cranston, Olsen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Godzilla (2014, Edwards) S: Taylor-Johnson, Cranston, Olsen

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The return of Godzilla?

Alright! Let's try this again!
Old 03-29-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mods, please change "?" to "!!!!!!!!!!!". Thank you.

Best. News. Ever.

I've been on a Big G kick lately, so I'm mega-pumped right now. I REALLY hope they know what they're doing, but with Yoshimitsu Banno on board as Exec Prod, I have high hopes.
Old 03-29-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hire JJ Abrams and this movie will be money
Old 03-29-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Cool-always ready for a little more Big G!
Old 03-29-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
March 29, 2010
Godzilla stomping back to theaters via Legendary
By Ace Fernandez

Well, well, well ... look who's getting back in fighting shape.

Everyone's favorite gigantic, havoc-wreaking lizard, Godzilla, is on his way back to the big screen via Legendary Pictures, which has acquired the rights to develop and produce a new feature based on the iconic Toho Co. character. Warner Bros. will co-produce, co-finance and distribute through its deal with Legendary, and Toho will roll out the film in Japan.

Dan Lin, Roy Lee and Brian Rogers are also producing; Yoshimitsu Banno, Kenji Okuhira and Doug Davison will be executive producers on the project.

The last major Godzilla outing, an American, New York-set version from Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin, grossed $376 million worldwide in 1998 despite fielding equally major criticism. Toho quickly produced "Godzilla 2000," in which the big beast took on an evil UFO, the following year.

But the Godzilla franchise juggernaut has survived decades of permutations (he first appeared in 1954), dozens of films, books, video games and merchandising tie-ins and seems perpetually ready to rear up again for new audiences.

The new film is shooting for a 2012 release.

"Godzilla is one of the world's most powerful pop culture icons, and we at Legendary are thrilled to be able to create a modern epic based on this long-loved Toho franchise," said Thomas Tull, chairman and CEO of Legendary. "Our plans are to produce the Godzilla that we, as fans, would want to see. We intend to do justice to those essential elements that have allowed this character to remain as pop culturally relevant for as long as it has."

Added Jeff Robinov, president of Warner Bros. Pictures Group, "Godzilla is emblematic of the kind of branded, event films for which Warner Bros. and our partners at Legendary are best known."

The two companies have partnered on such global properties as "Batman Begins," "The Dark Knight," "Superman Returns" and "The Hangover," which have grossed more than $2 billion worldwide. Together, they have a remake of "Clash of the Titans" stomping into theaters Friday.
Roy Lee?! Uh-oh. I suspect this will go the way of last fall's ASTRO BOY.
Old 03-29-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Can't wait
Old 03-29-10, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think WB can do it justice. Now what they need to do is use that awesome Winston design aka:

Old 03-29-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad this is happening. It'll hopefully help us all forget Emmerich's awful version. If Clash of the Titans ends up being a big hit for WB, I could see them offering Leterrier a chance to direct. The guy has a good eye for action sequences, so I think he'd make a good fit. I don't see too many non-hack directors interested in this project.
Old 03-29-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Being the nerd I am, I'll list my recommendations based on the era...

Showa era:

King Kong vs. Godzilla
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla ('74) (personal fave)
I would replace Gigan with Destroy All Monsters. Gigan has a lot of stock footage. Otherwise, you're spot on.

The only ones I would avoid (if you haven't seen any G movies) are Godzilla's Revenge, G v. Megalon, and maybe the "island" movies (Son of G and G. vs. the Sea Monster) just because they're a little slow and light on destruction.
Old 03-29-10, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I think WB can do it justice. Now what they need to do is use that awesome Winston design aka:

Wow Winston was actually hired to do the Godzilla design for the Zilla movie? Another reason why Roland is an idiot but you know what? I'm glad they didn't use it. Winston is one of the best artists of all time, his work in film still looks real today. It leaves room for them to use it and I hope they use it in the new Godzilla movie.

The original movies are cheesy and outdated, I still love Godzilla but it's hard to get through some of those movies.

Make the humans interesting, make Godzilla interesting, give Godzilla a battle sequence and we're good. Sort of like what they did with King Kong. King Kong is essentially the antagonist but he has his fight moments. They should do the same with Godzilla. And I'm glad to hear Toho is involved.

I don't think Toho was involved with the 1998 Godzilla, hell they even dubbed that monster Zilla, a weaker version of Godzilla who gets owned in one of the films.

AND PLEASE, DON'T AMERICANIZE IT. I'm all for the use of English in the movie but it has to be set in Japan. Use whatever language you want, just don't make it Americanized with cliches and blah blah.
Old 03-29-10, 06:45 PM
Banned

I can't get enough of this scene...it just..make me smile.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SEEXydQc9KE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SEEXydQc9KE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 03-29-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I can't get enough of this scene...it just..make me smile.
Love that trailer (seen it over 10x) probably the best I ever seen Godzilla look. Love how realistic the destruction is. If only the can make an entire movie with the crew that created that sequence!
Old 03-29-10, 07:21 PM
Banned

Yeah, I just...am blown by that whole thing. You see the classic Toho logo, the theme goes, destruction, etc etc..and then the ultimate payoff. Seeing big G (LOVE that shaking of the head...just...is cool to me)
Old 03-29-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

So that clip was just an homage moment in another movie I take it? If so, they should let those guys do a whole movie.
Old 03-29-10, 09:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
So that clip was just an homage moment in another movie I take it? If so, they should let those guys do a whole movie.
Very much so. A dream sequence from what I read but....fuck yeah that's an awesome homage.
Old 03-30-10, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love that they are making a new godzilla movie, i hope they do it right this time, because a godzilla movie with amazing visuals could be freaking amazing. I grew up loving godzilla movies and is a reason I why I am going into the Visual Effects industry.
Old 03-30-10, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I'd be up for a lean, mean Godzilla movie.
Old 03-30-10, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I've never seen a Godzilla movie in the theater, so this would be fantastic. Get rid of that Emmerich film forever.
Old 03-30-10, 08:29 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by maingon
I grew up loving godzilla movies and is a reason I why I am going into the Visual Effects industry.
Given that, what approach do you want them to take special effects wise? If you grew up loving Godzilla movies I assume you have an affection for the traditional suitmation and miniatures?
Old 03-30-10, 08:44 AM
Banned

in response to your asking maingon:

I'd be up for a full CG Godzilla if done right. Or if the production values are massive enough...they better have some fucking great production design on those miniatures. Not to put down Toho but..it's either the miniatures they build or how they film them lately that just doesn't give off that power you want from Godzilla. I'd be fucking go crazy if they let Weta do a G suit and miniature production.
Old 03-30-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

It ain't Godzilla if it ain't a man in a rubber suit stomping on miniature city streets and knocking over matchbox skyscrapers with toy tanks shooting at him.
Old 03-30-10, 10:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
It ain't Godzilla if it ain't a man in a rubber suit stomping on miniature city streets and knocking over matchbox skyscrapers with toy tanks shooting at him.
give it to Weta or or the Stan Winston guys w/ some help from Toho. And hopefully you'll get that. i just love the miniatures Weta did....so much fucking detail....now apply that to a city that G can destroy...and it'd be awesome.
Old 03-30-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Solid Snake,

Please get out of my brain.

Thanks.

I'd be so incredibly stoked if Weta handled a new Big G flick.

I know it would be WAY too dark, but I'd love to see a "Reign of Fire"-esque story where it opens with a desolate, post-apocalyptic planet where Godzilla has destroyed most major cities and rules the Earth. People live in fear, yadda yadda... but I know they'd never do something like that. I just hope that whoever handles the scripting realizes what made Emmerich's version so shitty, and that he's also a big fan of the classic series.
Old 03-30-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts

As long as they keep Big G's scale consistent!

Posted: Mon., Mar. 29, 2010, 10:17am PT
'Godzilla' stomps back to screen
Legendary Pictures gets rights to iconic monster
By DAVE MCNARY

Durable special effects juggernaut "Godzilla" will return to the bigscreen in 2012, with Legendary Pictures producing.

Legendary will co-produce with Warner Bros., which is co-financing.

The "Godzilla" project's been something of an open secret in recent months after Legendary execs began talking with potential directors. Legendary held off on making a public announcement until it closed its rights deal with Japan's Toho Co., which has overseen more than 25 "Godzilla" films.

Legendary said it's planning to announce a director shortly, and indicated that its "Godzilla" will pay respects to the original pic rather than follow up on Sony's 1998 "Godzilla." In the 1954 original "Godzilla," the fire-breathing monster, mutated due to atomic radiation exposure, wreaked devastation on Japan but then defended the nation in later films from attacks by other monsters.

Godzilla is one of the world's most powerful pop culture icons, and we at Legendary are thrilled to be able to create a modern epic based on this long-loved Toho franchise," said Thomas Tull, chairman and CEO of Legendary. "Our plans are to produce the Godzilla that we, as fans, would want to see. We intend to do justice to those essential elements that have allowed this character to remain as pop-culturally relevant for as long as it has."

Though Legendary won't say so publicly, its execs are described as being particularly keen to avoid duplicating the look and feel of Sony's 1998 "Godzilla," a contempo update with state-of-the-art special effects centered on the chaos and destruction accompanying the monster's arrival in New York City.

That incarnation, starring Matthew Broderick and co-written and directed by Roland Emmerich, carried a then-astronomical price tag of $130 million and fell short of expectations. The domestic cume hit only $136 million, though the pic's foreign performance was more solid with a $242 million international cume.

Toho will release the new pic in Japan. In addition to Legendary, producers on the new film will be Dan Lin ("Sherlock Holmes"), Roy Lee and Brian Rogers. Yoshimitsu Banno, Kenji Okuhira and Doug Davison will exec produce.

Legendary noted Monday that "Godzilla" will fall under its co-production and co-financing deal with Warner Bros. Legendary's productions with Warners have included "The Dark Knight," "300" and "The Hangover." Lynn Harris is overseeing for Warners.

Speculation about a new "Godzilla" has been active since last summer, with the Bloody Disgusting web site reporting in August that the project was in development. No Warners films are yet dated for 2012.
Old 03-30-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I've never seen a Godzilla movie in the theater, so this would be fantastic. Get rid of that Emmerich film forever.
The only one I ever got to see in the theater was "Godzilla 2000".

Was it dubbed? Yes. Did the dub make it campy? Yes. Was it awesome to see Big G on the big screen? Yes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.