Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Escape From New York: The Remake

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Escape From New York: The Remake

Old 03-19-13, 11:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Joel Silver, Studio Canal To Reboot John Carpenter’s ‘Escape From New York’

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
You sure sound committed, so do you happen to have a spare $40 - 50 million (maybe $100 million-plus) you're willing to lose to fund this original filmmaker idea?
Just KickStart it.
Old 03-19-13, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Give it to Guy Pearce. He already made an unofficial sequel/remake to EFNY in Lockout.
Old 03-19-13, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.....I'd watch that just to see more of him in a mainstream film.
Old 03-19-13, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
You sure sound committed, so do you happen to have a spare $40 - 50 million (maybe $100 million-plus) you're willing to lose to fund this original filmmaker idea?
because in 2013 the only way to finance an original film is having 50-100 million dollars. right.
Old 03-19-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
because in 2013 the only way to finance an original film is having 50-100 million dollars. right.
For an action film? $50 million sounds about right.
Old 03-19-13, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Gerard Butler should still do it. Give him some moves like he had Coriolanus and Olympus Has Fallen and you're set.

Hell, even Tom Hardy would rock, but then Kurt Russell will come out and say that Snake should be played by an American, blah, blah, blah.

At least John Carpenter gets another nice paycheck for doing nothing since he owns the rights to the franchise.
Old 03-19-13, 08:27 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Terry Crewes as The Duke.
Old 03-19-13, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Terry Crewes as The Duke.
Now you're talking.
Old 03-20-13, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Gerard Butler should still do it. Give him some moves like he had Coriolanus and Olympus Has Fallen and you're set.

Hell, even Tom Hardy would rock, but then Kurt Russell will come out and say that Snake should be played by an American, blah, blah, blah.
Then give Kurt Russell the Lee Van Cleef role, I say.
Old 03-20-13, 11:49 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuck yea lets get Cleef back even though he's dead but lets get him back anyway.
Old 08-29-14, 12:08 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

It’s been months since any particular movement on the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake from Silver Pictures and StudioCanal. The film was last said to be inspired by the BATMAN: ARKHAM video games, and was still looking to crack its screenplay. According to a very trusted STARLOG source close to the production however, it seems the wheels are turning on the remake once more, and perhaps faster than ever.

While the film is still early in pre-production and without a director officially attached, STARLOG has learned that ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK will be, as per our source, “more team-based, as Snake Plissken traverses through a treacherous New York landscape with a rogues gallery of criminals who look to leave the island-turned-prison in exchange for the rescue of the captured U.S. President.”

According to our source, while the script had always had a team-dynamic to it, the emphasis has almost turned these supporting characters into co-leads. And while Snake Plissken is still looking to be the de facto leader of the team, it seems these characters will be a mix of the old and the new:

“Plissken’s team consists of Mina, a warzone journalist framed for murder and living in the shadows of New York as a scavenger; Cabbie, a schizophrenic travel guide who serves as comic relief; Gareth, the last surviving member of the President’s security detail who harbors a dangerous secret; and The Brain, Plissken’s former partner-in-crime who left him to die after a botched robbery.”

But just who might be donning the eyepatch as Plissken, you may ask? According to STARLOG’s source, Silver Pictures has a shortlist of actors narrowed down to three: Charlie Hunnam (PACIFIC RIM), Jon Bernthal (THE WALKING DEAD) and Dan Stevens (THE GUEST). While our source confirms none of the three have read for the role, he does confirm an offer will be made “any day now” and that “Hunnam is currently the top contender now that his run on SONS OF ANARCHY has concluded, although it is unclear if his commitments to PACIFIC RIM 2 will leave the actor unavailable.” Hunnam also recently entered the running for Guy Ritchie’s KING ARTHUR film, which may further push the role in favor of Stevens or Bernthal.

In fact, STARLOG has learned that Silver Pictures has already began to commission pre-production artwork from independent artists featuring Hunnam as the one-eyed antihero, possibly to shop to a co-financier at this year’s American Film Market. And while Silver Pictures still aims for ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK to jumpstart a trilogy for the character(s), the origin story aspect for the first film will be played down. “Snake’s past will be seen in brief glimpses throughout the film, blending into his reality via Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder,” adds our source.

While Silver Pictures overhauls the script and narrows their shortlist, our source was much more hesitant to reveal who the team may be courting for a director, saying talks were “too early” in the process, although we’d learn a “definitive answer” before the year’s end. It was indicated that the film will carry “a dark tone,” and while the film will still carry a sci-fi element, it will be “less tech-based, and more of a gun-and-run thriller.”

Of course, until an official release is made, one might want to take this news with a grain of salt, but this source has gone above and beyond to verify their association to the project. If this is true, time will tell, but with audiences riding high on outlaw-heavy sci-fi following GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, it comes as no surprise that Silver Pictures and StudioCanal would be looking to follow suit.

http://www.starlog.com/starlog-exclu...-based-remake/

Out of those 3... I'd pick Bernthal.

I'd also count Hunnam as out for sure. I believe he is officially on King Arthur now.

Last edited by dex14; 08-29-14 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Out of those 3... I'd pick Bernthal.
After finding out who is who (I'm popculturally challenged), I'd also pick Bernthal.
Old 08-29-14, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Escape From New York: The Reboot

Yeah I'd pick Bernthal too. I think it's pretty safe to say there is no way in hell Kurt Russell does a cameo.
Old 08-29-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Yeah I'd pick Bernthal too. I think it's pretty safe to say there is no way in hell Kurt Russell does a cameo.
I pick Bernthal as well...but I still hope this never happens. Russell should be Bob Hauk.
Old 08-29-14, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Yeah, if those are my three picks, I'll take Bernthal, although after being great on THE WALKING DEAD, I was less impressed with his acting on MOB CITY.

But if one of those guys has to be Snake, Bernthal fits the role better than the other two.
Old 01-14-15, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Escape from New York - Fox/Reboot

After years in development and a trip to turnaround, Fox has emerged from competitive bidding and closed a deal to remake the 1981 John Carpenter-directed cult classic Escape From New York, Deadline was the first to report.

Carpenter will be an executive producer and will exert creative influence over the project.

“In the original, Kurt Russell played Snake Plissken, an eyepatch-sporting tough guy who is conscripted to rescue the president of the United States after Air Force One — en route to a summit that could head off WWIII — goes missing after it crashes in New York, which has been relegated to a maximum security prison. Plissken, a former special forces operative convicted of trying to rob the Federal Reserve, is given 22 hours to liberate the president and a tape he carries which holds the key to peace. If he fails, he’s wired to explode.“

They are starting from scratch with the hope to reinvent the property with an eye toward launching a new franchise.

Andrew Rona and Alex Heineman’s The Picture Company will produce.

The original was released by Avco Embassy, and the rights were own by Studiocanal. Fox’s Mike Ireland brought it in and will steer.
Old 01-14-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Re: Escape from New York - Fox/Reboot

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ew-york-6.html

Thread already exists with previous discussion.
Old 01-14-15, 07:46 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts
Re: Escape From New York: The Remake

"What I do is, I sit on my couch, I extend my hand, and a check drops [into it]… They remake everything these days, it doesn’t mean anything. They just remake it because they think that the audience is so stupid that they won’t go see anything original. They look down on you, don’t you see that? I just want to get the check, that’s all I give a shit about." - John Carpenter
Old 01-14-15, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Escape from New York - Fox/Reboot

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ew-york-6.html

Thread already exists with previous discussion.
My bad! Sorry! I searched but missed it somehow.
Old 01-14-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Tom Hardy would be my choice. Snake Plissken and Mad Max Rockatansky in duelling dystopian future franchises. It could be done. Robert Downey Jr and Ian Mckellan did it.
Old 01-15-15, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
"What I do is, I sit on my couch, I extend my hand, and a check drops [into it]… They remake everything these days, it doesn’t mean anything. They just remake it because they think that the audience is so stupid that they won’t go see anything original. They look down on you, don’t you see that? I just want to get the check, that’s all I give a shit about." - John Carpenter
Good for him. Outside of Memoirs of an Invisible Man JC had/has a great career. Yes, he's very cynical now, because the days of director's cuts are over, so he might as well get paid for doing nothing. One of the smartest things he did was to have director's/final cuts to about 95% of his own films that also included remake rights. Cha-ching, baby. Get paid!
Old 01-15-15, 02:21 AM
Banned

Yeah. He was smart about that shit.
Old 01-15-15, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Good for him. Outside of Memoirs of an Invisible Man, Ghosts of Mars, The Ward, Escape from L.A. & Village of the Damned JC had/has a great career.
Fixed
Old 01-15-15, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
Fixed

I disagree. JC can do no wrong in my eyes. He gets a pass on everything.
Old 01-15-15, 10:30 AM
Banned

I thought I knew you... *throws Long Island to wall*

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.